Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Media backprinted with Copyright Notice would Like ? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Media backprinted with Copyright Notice would Like ?

Alan Warner
23-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Simple solution that would help all all

A Large/larger warning as standard imprinted as a watermark on the rear of the paper on the printer, nothing new but instead of DNP or Mitsubishi ect it could state that the images were subject to copyright law BLAR BLAR BLAR,

Its difficult to use ink from a printy on Dye sub prints, and they may make more sales if this becomes the norm !

Thoughts could this work ?

Al'

Bryan Osborne
23-12-2010, 12:54 PM
So how many languages? All photos aren't always copyrighted to the photographer???

Alan Warner
23-12-2010, 12:57 PM
You of course would have different notices for diff parts of the world, or just a large copyright disclaimer with text stating local copyright regulations apply...

would it not be possible to have a simple back print option built into printer ?

Al'

Mike Weeks
23-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes
Mike

ian bonthrone
23-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Now there is a good idea - Maybe Mark and Stuart can lobby the manufacturers?

RobMarsh
23-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Why is that anything printed on the back with a rubber stamp just smears. Is it some coating on the back of the paper?

I bought a couple of Trodat instant stamps, but have never been able to use them effectively. I also found that stick on labels don't stay stuck on

Mike Weeks
23-12-2010, 01:43 PM
It only needs to be something simple like "this is a copyright @ protected image - reproduction not allowed"

Mike

Jon Sharp
23-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Why is that anything printed on the back with a rubber stamp just smears. Is it some coating on the back of the paper?

I bought a couple of Trodat instant stamps, but have never been able to use them effectively. I also found that stick on labels don't stay stuck on

You may have to purchase the more expensive and much harder to get hold of "Quick Drying Ink Pads" - you can use these pads to print onto almost anything such as plastic bags and it's pretty much touch dry as soon as it prints. I've never thought about it for the back of photos but as one of its uses is plastic then I don't see why not.

I don't think you can get it for the instant pads, (I tried for a date stamp version for ages for best before dates on bags), it's normally a separate pad or refill bottle.

Bryan Osborne
23-12-2010, 02:39 PM
the statement is "what benefit to the printer oem?"

answer none only cost!!!

Old copyright arguement, subject of a host of threads.What would be the nett effect on event sales? Prob none!!

Alan Warner
23-12-2010, 03:14 PM

answer none only cost!!!

I did think hard re the costs & advantages

The rear of most of the Paper is allready marked with the Manufacturers Branding or Paper type so set up cost would be negligable,

Advantage to the manufacturer is at very least the good will associated wth an attempt to answer a major concern we all have re copyright and over a period of time it will become harder to get a professional reproduction done if all media was marked in a similar fashion,

Its yet another selling point that would help split the fly paper differences between printer models...

Al'

Simon Wilson
23-12-2010, 03:20 PM

answer none only cost!!!

I did think hard re the costs & advantages

The rear of most of the Paper is allready marked with the Manufacturers Branding or Paper type so set up cost would be negligable,

Advantage to the manufacturer is at very least the good will associated wth an attempt to answer a major concern we all have re copyright and over a period of time it will become harder to get a professional reproduction done if all media was marked in a similar fashion,

Its yet another selling point that would help split the fly paper differences between printer models...

Al'

Al,

Anything to help prevent the illegal copying of images would be greatly appreciated.

I just wish we could also have some Whizz Kid come up with something to stop screen printing too ! ! lolo

Merry Xmas

Simon

Stuart Etheridge
23-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Do we really think that a giant like Mitsubishi for example really gives a monkeys about the few hundred machines sold into the EP market. Of course the sponsored folks will jump to their defence but I'm not picking on any one manufacturer. I think we kid ourselves that our tiny little bit of business for these massive companies actually impacts them.

Mike Weeks
23-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Stuart,

I can tell you from experience that the manufacturers do listen, although they might not admit it. When the Olmec OP1000 was the only printer with a 2 year warranty it started to really impact on the market and it did not take long for Mitsubishi to recognise this and introduce their own 2 year warranty. Being on the DNP stand at Focus this year I pointed out a number of areas for improvement (my own ideas and from other users) to which they very quickly made available a print counter and they have also followed with the 2 year warranty (both points mentioned).

We might only be a small voice but we are often listened to.

Mike

Alan Warner
23-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Do we really think that a giant like Mitsubishi for example really gives a monkeys about the few hundred machines sold into the EP market.

If it could be implemented at little or no cost,

IMO They should or prepare to loose business to those manufactures that are prepared to listen,

I'd view it as a step in the right direction.......

Al'

simon coates
23-12-2010, 04:11 PM
IMO They should or prepare to loose business to those manufactures that are prepared to listen,

Would you honestly change printer if, say, Fuji were to release 9x6" media with a copyright message on the back? If so, you've more money than sense!

Simon

Mike Weeks
23-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Personally I would not change printers for this but it would be on the list of points to look at if buying new, I would hoever not be prepared to pay a premium price for it - how much would it cost though to incorparate a back printer? Would size and space allow for this?

Mike

Alan Warner
23-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I would pay for a back/underside printer,

if it would allow me to stamp images with print ID number, Company name & phone number along with the copyright notice, for say around an additional 100-200 or 1p per image extra on the media cost

The tech is available as it being used by minilabs to print on digital media,

an alternative would be print outta the dyesub into a fast back printing device

Al'

ian griffiths
23-12-2010, 05:35 PM
It would be way too difficult to implement, consider the variables, language, legal statements and then look at the size of the market and it's just wouldn't be justifiable.

If you are that concerned, and I'm not, then why not just apply a sticker to the back of your prints or as has been suggested a rubber stamp with a quick drying ink.

Even if you do this it wont stop the majority of people scanning on their own equipment. At best you might stop perhaps 1 in a 100 who blindly go in to Boots or similar, I just dont think it's worth it, that said, if it was available on printers I owned I'd use it, but I wouldn't expect to be able to see an increase on the bottom line!

Stuart Morley
23-12-2010, 08:59 PM
It would be way too difficult to implement, consider the variables, language, legal statements and then look at the size of the market and it's just wouldn't be justifiable.

If you are that concerned, and I'm not, then why not just apply a sticker to the back of your prints or as has been suggested a rubber stamp with a quick drying ink.

Even if you do this it wont stop the majority of people scanning on their own equipment. At best you might stop perhaps 1 in a 100 who blindly go in to Boots or similar, I just dont think it's worth it, that said, if it was available on printers I owned I'd use it, but I wouldn't expect to be able to see an increase on the bottom line!

Spot on Ian!

Sticker is the way to go....If you can't be bothered to put one on the back then it isn't a problem IMHO.

Stuart was right....EP is a tiny part of the global market and manufacturers wouldn't take any notice. (For the record: I say what I think regardless of which products I deal with as I am my own person not an employee of any Manufacturer although I have my own feelings about different manufacturers / products)

As it happens this product IS already available! - The Mitsubishi MPU (two CP9820's in a box) does this as a mini lab solution but would possibly be to expensive for EP's. Whilst it doesn't print copyright info it does backprint (job no etc) and I would imagine could with some changes and enough people wanting it (and prepared to pay for it!) put this info on it.

The other option is.....System Insight is proud to announce the first personalised back print media with whatever you want on the back.....Just call for a quote :) :) :) (Now where did I put my rubber stamp?)

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Bryan Osborne
24-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Following on fron Ian ad Stu's qualified remarks "stickers" or better still a spirit ink stamp

If we were all selling a thousand plus photos per gig and we were all running four/five gigs per weelk and the market was hooked into reprints, canvas, photo merchandise well??? Perhaps there would be a benefit to back printing.. Remember minilabs still DO print hundreds and hundreds of prints....

Do we not agree that theEP market is 99.5% spontaneous purchase on the spot (still)..

gary evans
24-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Do we not agree that theEP market is 99.5% spontaneous purchase on the spot (still)..

Er, no I dont agree.

Most of my events are prepaid-inclusive-of-a-photo type events, and I know that there are many others out there working the same way. Equally, I sell a lot of JPEGs from my websites and so backprinting is unimportant to me.

Or am I in the 0.5%?

For me Stuart Etheridge hit the nail on the head, the fact that event photographers use dyesubs is entirely accidental. The first machines I became aware of were aimed at the medical profession and then they appeared in minilabs and then after that some photographers started to use them.

At the end of the day, how many photographers use them heavily? I doubt no where near enough for any of the manufacturers to even consider adding a backprinting option.

Alan Warner
24-12-2010, 11:20 AM
I dont get time to apply stickers or stamp the rear of a print (although the mounts are pre stamped) often im working in pitch black dark surrounded by loud music,

The space is there & large Copyright surrounded by regionalised text would serve to at least advise or the origins of the image,

Best of all I would have to do nothing & it would cost next to nothing, and show the industry that a responsible attitude is being taken by the media manufacturers,

I would not change printers just because of copyright notice, however i would not need too if this was just added too any new media produced by the manufacturers in 2011 !

if it makes it just a few % more difficult to copy im all for it, Rome wasnt built in a day...

Al'

simon coates
24-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Rome wasnt built in a day...

But it only took one match to burn it down. :lol:

I don't think that we've a hope in hell of getting any of the media suppliers to change their product for our benefit. Perhaps you could try adding a copyright message along the bottom of the print, within the area that fits under the strut mount? With ED it should be a doddle to add this automatically.

Simon

RobMarsh
24-12-2010, 11:55 AM
[quote="Alan Warner":2mo9xw5i]Rome wasnt built in a day...

With ED it should be a doddle to add this automatically.

Simon[/quote:2mo9xw5i]

Absolutely correct Simon. It is easy to do. I have it display, my web address, the copyright symbol and the event dat. Only thing you have to remember, I have found, is to set up both a protrait and a landscape version, and then also the same for sales items

Michael Martin
24-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Almost everything we buy these days has a visible label on it. All the old studio photos my mum has have the studio or photographer name in the bottom corner, on the front of the print.
I have been including my logo and web address on the front of every single event image I sell, be it on site print or digital download or print sent in the post, for the past year. Most onsite prints also have the event name and date on the front too. I have never been asked to remove these and on occasion specifically asked by customers if they could "please have that info like the last person and how much extra is it".
Ok, so I probably depends on your market sector as to how it will be received, but for me it works. Are my clients still making copies? Who knows, but I suspect they are, just as there hundreds on my watermarked images all over Facebook. Yes it is irritating when it is abused continually, but it also building brand awareness and as to whether it affects the bottom line, I doubt by much worth worrying about.

I should add that my logo and web address are very carefully positioned so as NOT to be covered by the mount.

gary evans
24-12-2010, 12:18 PM
If you are going to go to that effort, wouldnt it be better to have your logo on the image?

The effect is similar, someone who is gpoing to scan your image will scan it regardless of any warnings, whereas someone else might see it, think "nice photo, lets book him"

Its the warm & fuzzy pyschology as opposed to cold & prickly one.

Al, you think the manufacturers care (and I mean really care) about the profession of photography? They pay lip service, and sponsor the odd seminar or award but on the whole its the amateur market that drives them.

When I did some research on this some years back, I think (if memory serves) that the photographic profession, and by this I mean ALL professional photographers, ALL education establishments, ALL libraries, ALL newspaper, advertisng and other media etc etc etc spent less than 2% of what made up the revenue of the photographic trade. The remaining 98%+ was the amateur market.

Think film, once the mass market (ie amateur) went digital camera manufacturers stopped producing the cameras and many of the pros choice of film such as NPS and NPH simply ceased production.

With cameras, the mass market demanded pixels so pixels is what we get. Most pros want low noise, fast focussing etc but the race is always for more pixels. And dont even mention the cost of them anymore!!!!

If the supermarkets and minilabs start asking for backprinting it may well appear. Until that day dont hold your breath because all that will happen is that you will turn blue.

Michael Martin
24-12-2010, 12:47 PM
If you are going to go to that effort, wouldnt it be better to have your logo on the image?

The effect is similar, someone who is gpoing to scan your image will scan it regardless of any warnings, whereas someone else might see it, think "nice photo, lets book him"

Its the warm & fuzzy pyschology as opposed to cold & prickly one.

Sorry Gary, if that was meant for me I obviously did not make myself clear. My logo etc is on the image and in full view.

gary evans
24-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi Michael, it was just a general comment as many photographers get worked up over copyright notices and telling customers what they cant do, but fail to see the larger picture (little photography pun for you :lol: ) about not p*ssing off their customers

Alan Warner
24-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Nor personally fussed about copyright, however need to use every tool available to maximise my profits, moreover the images are removed from the mount and potential future sales/advertising are lost,

I do have a foil blocking machine that could do the job but it would be yet another piece of kit to lug about but has H&S implications due to heat required,

However if this could be done it would just make it a tad easier for us in the long run, just an industry attempt to clean up its act & support the end user against copyright theft, if this was promoted & known it could also help increased onsite sales however small Bonus...

Al'

Mark Amies
26-12-2010, 06:13 PM
This being the season of goodwill ;-) , I think we should be fair to the manufacturers. The print media is used widely for many different applications and useages around the world, and to think about adding anything to the back of the print would be wholely unpractical.

The only way you could win over the manufacturer would be to say that all event photographers in the English speaking world used one type of media for one make of machine, and that a commitmnet would be made to all buy a certain amount in an given year. They might consider it then...........

Other than that ( or obtaining a dye-sub based dry lab ( of the type Stuart refers to ( The Mitsubishi Mass Production Unit ( MPU), or DNP's NexLab ) , I'm sorry to say the only thing you could do is to get a good stamp system or stickers. I would say stickers , but only use them for jobs where it was worth it. But there again, you guys just simply don't have the time to apply either of these in a busy enviroment - do you?

Anyway .......my little yueltide contribution. :P

Alan Warner
26-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Nice too know that the industry is looking out for the interests of the end user :shock:

Al'

Mark Amies
27-12-2010, 11:04 AM
The issue is Alan that the Event Photography market is a fairly small proportion of the manufacturers total market. I am sure that they are all grateful to have the event guys there , but it is not enough for them to make the huge investment it would take for such a small return , in comparison to the global photo retail market - kiosks etc.

They do listen and you should always try and speak to the manufacturer's reps at trade shows like Focus on Imaging.

gary evans
27-12-2010, 11:21 AM
They do listen and you should always try and speak to the manufacturer's reps at trade shows like Focus on Imaging.

If you can past the anoraks! :rofl:

Mark Amies
27-12-2010, 11:52 AM
[quote="Mark Amies":180tu4of]They do listen and you should always try and speak to the manufacturer's reps at trade shows like Focus on Imaging.

If you can past the anoraks! :rofl:[/quote:180tu4of]

Get past the anoraks? yes?

Alan Warner
27-12-2010, 12:35 PM
but it is not enough for them to make the huge investment

Your arguement falls flat on its face cost wise !

Mark there is minimal required investment in adopting a Copyright notice back print,

They allready do it to when branding the rear the paper ie "made by Mitsubishi" or DNP for instance,

Mitsubishi themselves even have a separate click media that has an even smaller market position,

OK so maybe there just not interested, however if it copyright notice was there it would be a small fightback in the protection of our livelyhoods within an allready affected marketplace

Great PR for whoever wants to adopt a backprint copyright notice & show their consumers that they care rather than just keep taking...

Al'

Mark Amies
27-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Alan, I can see your point, and if I was not involved in the indusrty of selling these things then I may take your view too. However to produce a media that has a notice on the back that says 'Copyright' would mean that it would have to go on all the media, for whoever is using it. This may not be useful for those other markets, and to produce a seperate media with just that copyright notice on would likley be impractical - you would also be paying considerably more for it , way more.

The only reason why paper has anything on it at all is purely for branding and publicity, it also acts as a a great identifier if you need to know what system is being used. It is therefore only there for one reason - to aid the manufacturer. Not all manufacturers have branding on the back.

If you don't like what I am saying then ask a manufacturer, in fact why not ask the chap from Mitsubishi , who is a trade member, I am sure he will explain it. You never know , he may even say 'what a great idea- we'll do it!'.

Bryan Osborne
27-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Question?

Would the addition of a Copyright note in the top five languages have any benefit whatsoever for the manufacturer, in terms of sales or revenue?

None Whatsoever!

Would the above deter the top 30% of "scanner" in any way?

Not at all.

Would it discourage the buyers from scanning sufficiently for it to make a meaningful contribution to our income in generate.

No

Would the purchase of technology sufficient to back print our work with a copyright warning deter or discourage our customers from scanning to such a degree that it would make meaningful difference and be cost justified,

No
QED

Alan Warner
27-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Looking at it from a manufacturers point of view I can see that they supply both markets & are receiving cash from both sides so hey why bother when the event market is so insignicant,

The is answer is not too just sit back and allow ourselves to be shafted by all and sundry ?

If back printing notice just stops a % of in store copying or educates the general public its a horray for those that are bothered,

Al'

Ed Brown
27-12-2010, 05:04 PM
4 pages ...... Really?

gary evans
27-12-2010, 06:20 PM
The is answer is not too just sit back and allow ourselves to be shafted by all and sundry ?

If back printing notice just stops a % of in store copying or educates the general public its a horray for those that are bothered,

Anybody associated with any industry that is capable of being reproduced on a home PC is already being shafted by all and sundry. Think about it - music is constantly ripped off as is software, the print industry is suffering etc etc.

I have found the best way of dealing with copyshops (especially your local ones) is to send someone in with a print asking for it to be copied. Most dont and you can hammer the ones that do!

4 pages ...... Really?

Yes. Because its more relevant to the industry than many of the other things that get discussed to death.

Ed Brown
27-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Just seems to be going in circles to me that's all.

Stuart Morley
27-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Good Post Bryan.....

The event Market (even with Click) is a very small percentage of the global market. EP's use VERY little media at all compared to other industries.

A Manufacturer would look at the points that Bryan makes and there is no advantage to them.

EP's won't use more media, they wouldn't pay a higher price, they wouldn't buy more machines so why offer it?

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Alan Warner
28-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Guys

The Question was not asked whether or not the manufacturers would do this !

It was an open question as to whether EPS members would Like to see a backprinted Copyright notice...

Al'

gary evans
28-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Al,

Surely theres no point asking a question but then not being open to ALL the observations that come from it?

There are many things that we would like to see but for commercial reasons arent going to happen.

This I would suggest, is one of these things.

Alan Warner
28-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Trouble is only a few of people have actually answered the question that was asked, instead going off on a "the manufacturers wont do it" attitude,

IMO. they probably wont especially if theres no positivity for it from End user event photographer,

Ok Im maybe mistaken but if the question was answered rather than a debate why the manufacturers cant/wont we would know if others would welcome backprinted copyright notices & maybe the manufacturer would start to listen...

Al'

simon coates
28-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Trouble is only a few of people have actually answered the question that was asked, instead going off on a "the manufacturers wont do it" attitude,

I am ambivalent to the suggestion. I wouldn't mind it being back-printed, so long as it doesn't cost me more for the media. If they want to charge me more to have a copyright message back printed, then I am most definitely not interested.

Simon

Tony New
28-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Al, the only backprinting we would be remotely interested in is our company details in the hope of follow up work. Not interested in the slightest in copyright notices and certainly wouldn't consider it if it increased the cost of the printer/media.

Bryan Osborne
29-12-2010, 08:27 AM
OK simple answer to question is NO! I use a rubber stamp DIY from staples which has my company detail and website info.. It goes into the front cover of my folders. IMHO a copyright and or and anti scannning message is probably better displayed there? It can also be supported by a small foil sticker or Avery Label sticker on the back of the print..

I think one of the key issues is the wording of such "advice" one has to be careful not to be wagging a finger at the innocent, whilst making the potentially guilty aware!

Frankly I don't personally think any copyright inclusions will reduce the scanning and copying theft one little bit in EP..

However, there are markets where the commercial calue of photo work is high as in Advertising, publishing and industrial where loss of repeat income is a real possibility..?

Like always its a trade off, I tend to accept the income I make on an event EP.. If someone makes two illicit copies well, I can live with it..If someone copies and distributes the photos via Facebook etc, well, I might if I find out steer them towards their error and ask for a small royalty or to remove it..

Michael Martin
29-12-2010, 05:12 PM
As with others, not interested. My logo and web address are always printed on the image anyway.

Alan Warner
29-12-2010, 07:05 PM
OK simple answer to question is NO! I use a rubber stamp DIY from staples which has my company detail and website info.. It goes into the front cover of my folders. IMHO a copyright and or and anti scannning message is probably better displayed there? It can also be supported by a small foil sticker or Avery Label sticker on the back of the print..

Brian,

IMO Sticky labels take to long to apply in the heat of the moment & i feel they look naff,

I use genuine trodat printy for the rear of my mounts but does not work on prints, The quick drying solvent based inks dry up in a few days and the pad is NO good,

I'd be personally interested to know which model rubber stamp that you have managed to find that can be used to stamp the prints as ive tried many professional printers & staples and found no suitable solution (quick drying non smear).

Al'

RobMarsh
30-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I have been following this thread with interest and feel that several people have missed the point of it.

Surely, if the backprinting on teh media by the manufactere only serves to raise the awareness of copyright then it has achieved something. Nobody is ever going to stop your average home scanner for face book, but a print with a bloody big copyright logo and some generic text that says something like " This image is a copyrighted image and is subject to local legistlation" might just discourage the average in store lab from scanning and printing. If it subsequently generates an extra sale, terrific, if it causes one punter to have to stand in Asda or whereever and be made to look like a thieving cheapskate all the better

This is purely my view on the matter

Bryan Osborne
31-12-2010, 09:06 AM
If I were to do a commission like a wedding, industrial,publishing or stock photos for library then I would worry to some extent about Copyright as good "open" photos sell, especially if the content is special and has power or is newsworthy!

But in EP IMHO we are working to a greater extent in "social" photography and in most cases print onsite our photos at 6x8 or 6x9 --8x10 or 8x12....

We are in a highly competitive business which will only become more competitive as recession fuels innovation. EP has a broad base of charging regimes with 6x8 going from as low as 3.50 up to 12.. So why not gear up your onsite pricing for volume pricing to just maximize your take at an acceptable profit margin on the spot and have done with it?

Two points:

Copyright info needs to be placed politely somewhere in your POS set up and on your website..It does not hurt to have a copyright info tab somewhere on your site that is prominent. However, if you overplay the wording it can be a negative vibration to your potential so positive but low impact wording.

For one I don't see the embuggerance factor of having some sticker reels made up, simple 4cm x 3cm for the reverse of the print with "This image is copyright FredBlogsPhoto.com.

As I use corner cut mounts and print my own mount overprint I put the same info on the bottom inside front cover of the mount. Putting a sticker on your strut mount backs prior to an event won't wear your fingers out!

--------

The above factors protect your position should there be a major breach of copyright which causes you to take action. Second point, taking legal action for copyright theft is quite simple you just need the defacto original ownership and evidence.

It is however an expensive excercise in time and energy for a photo worth 10 remember that we are talking one published photo or a known copy. You can't simple say XYZ created 100 copies without proof to hand..

So whilst the rules are the rules, in EP I wonder if we sit on this copyright issue as a stance to ego, yes make customers aware fully and if the context of the copyright infringement is potentially a big loss of potential income, i.e. publishing fees.. then process a claim.. If you find a copy of your image published in "My Little Essex Pony" or the "Peckam Hunt Club" Website then a polite request for a reasonable publishing fee (reasonable) is in order "after the event." This all costs very lttle to implement, can be constructed according to your stance and position with your client re copyright etc.

In reality the total value of our ripped off images is quite small and we really need to take a sensible stance on the merits of chasing the odd illicit copy. True if the prints were worth 70 a pop it would be a contributory factor but for 10?

Expecting a manufacturer to tool up to do this Selectively on EP media or Globally on all media is just a bit naive which I think is the root point of the thread.

In answer to Al's original post, I guess EVERYONE would want a copyright note on the back of the print media if asked. But guess what 30% plus of the overall customers base would ask for media without it??

Mark Amies
01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
To reiterate an earlier remark I mead in this thread - the best suggestion I can give for clarification on the marking of media is to ask someone who represents a major manufacturer, and EPS is lucky to have such a person on here, that being Mr Jones from Mitsubishi. I am sure he would be able to give a very good explantion of the situation.

In my opinion to have copyright notice on the back of prints may be impratical , becuase of the many different areas whre the media is used. Al I could think of would be something like ' Image may be liable to copyright in certian circumstances' which although providing a solution may look a little clumsy, and could confuse in other useages.

Mark Ratcliffe
13-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Not Sure if these will be "Quick Dry"
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID-D66D73BC-30BE80FC/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_17341.htm?offerdate=&idcheck=true&ar2=&id=603&country=GB&zipcode=DN4+8PL&city=Yorkshire&district=Doncaster&street=Balby+Road&ar=1

Mark Amies
14-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Mark - your linked failed

Mark Ratcliffe
14-01-2011, 09:51 AM
ah i think you log on to lidl,you have to put your post code in,then it should be under their latest offers
its
Only 2.99 so worth a try,as i said not sure if its instant dry,and you can make up what ever you wish to print
http://www.lidl.co.uk
special offers
then select 20.01.2011 last option,its on there

PJones
18-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I have not read every single post on this topic, but the request or idea for back printed media to highlight copyright is interesting.

At the moment Mitsubishi Electric Europe has no plans to change the media design or back printed artwork but it is possible. The costs involved in producing a core paper roll with different markings is high and the minimum production quantity would be approx 3m prints (6x8/9). We do change the artwork for OEM customers and perhaps should consider this idea for the professional photographers market in the future.

I will throw the idea into the mix at our next European marketing meeting.

Thank you for the new idea & best regards
Mitsubishi Photo Team

RobMarsh
18-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I have not read every single post on this topic, but the request or idea for back printed media to highlight copyright is interesting.

At the moment Mitsubishi Electric Europe has no plans to change the media design or back printed artwork but it is possible. The costs involved in producing a core paper roll with different markings is high and the minimum production quantity would be approx 3m prints (6x8/9). We do change the artwork for OEM customers and perhaps should consider this idea for the professional photographers market in the future.

I will throw the idea into the mix at our next European marketing meeting.

Thank you for the new idea & best regards
Mitsubishi Photo Team

Paul

Can I personally say "Thank YOu " to you for reading this thread, for taking on board the concerns of those who do feel that something needs to be done, and for offering to take it forward. It makes me glad to know that the maker of my printer is prepared to at least listen to my concerns

Alan Warner
18-01-2011, 08:22 PM
It makes me glad to know that the maker of my printer is prepared to at least listen to my concerns

Hi Paul,

Thanks for at the very least listening, you never know Mitsubishi VIS may be about to run an order for another 3M rolls & if the timings right, may be a good selling point...

Al'