Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Laptops not recognising printer [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Laptops not recognising printer

PeteArciero
28-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi

Seem to be having a problem with my new dnp printer. Everytime I power up my laptop(s) and printer the laptop(s) don't recognise the printer as installed, I have to run the printer driver install anew. Is this a printer issue? both laptops do exactly the same thing and my Mitsubishi printer has never had this problem in 4 years.

The work around is to reinstall everytime but its not very reassuring being at the start of an event with a dead printer!

gary evans
28-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey Peter, how you doing?

I had this with my DNP printer a few times, and found the easiest way round it was to install the printer onto every USB port on my laptop. Now I dont get any problems (unless I use a different USB cable :roll: )

Alan Warner
28-11-2010, 01:17 PM
the easiest way round it was to install the printer onto every USB port on my laptop. Now I dont get any problems (unless I use a different USB cable )

This is so with other makes too,

One option is to label the USB ports on the laptop or use a single port and use a USB hub,

I use a specific port for different media sizes, ie: port One 12x8, Port Two 10x8, Three 9x6, Port Four 8x6,'

This allows me to switch media with the minimal of messing

Al

PeteArciero
28-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks all, will label a usb port and stick to this one.

Now just got to stop my new laptop printing people like they've been tango'd (but thats the Mits and another thread)

Bryan Osborne
28-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Easy solution is to just put a colour mark on a USB Port and the same colour mark on the input to the printer. A lot of Printer Installers are Port Specific but not all, The Sony DR-150 for instance will see the driver on any port, the Fuji ASK 2000 on the other hand need to be on the same port/usb connector every time or you are doing what Gary does install the printer on all usb connectors!

B

john christopher
28-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Why can't everything in life be like a MAC?????? Non of the port specific rubbish!

Steph

richard ham
28-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Why can't everything in life be like a MAC?????? Non of the port specific rubbish!

Steph

Because MAC users would have less to gloat about!
;-)

PeteArciero
28-11-2010, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't be too smug, no dnp drivers will install on my g4/g5 kit (same age as my pc laptops)

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
28-11-2010, 07:11 PM
And the DNP wont play nice wih picassa on the mac either- otherwise i'd be all mac!

Mark Amies
29-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Scott, I am sure the issues of Picasa have been raised on the forum before.

Peter, if you haven't been in contact wit us at Photomart with the problems you have raised , please do so.

Mark

Trudy Trafford
29-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Scott, I am sure the issues of Picasa have been raised on the forum before.

Mark

Mark, indeed it has, but from the testing we did last week it is unfortunately still an issue.

Steph

Steph, actually we had a port issue on our macBookPro and Cinema display ports when using the DS40 and DS80 together with Lightroom 3 - so not that smug

:puter:

Simon

Mark Amies
29-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Picasa is a free Google software, not a piece of professional software designed fo reevnt photographers.

Ed Brown
29-11-2010, 10:53 AM
It is however one of the simplest ways of shooting, showing and printing there is. We only use one viewing / sales station and will be spending 28+ dates with 600 people at each night.

I do know picasa isnt brilliant when trying to network but then it isnt really designed to be networked.

I hope this gets resolved

PeteArciero
29-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi

I have been in touch re Picasa and I was simply told not to use it! In fairness I did get a call back saying that the latest drivers might fix the problem - and they do for me anyhow.

john christopher
29-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Pete

It pains me to say this but what is it about the word "FREE" that you don't understand?

Steph

:puter: :puter: :puter:

PeteArciero
29-11-2010, 12:31 PM
?

Lost me there

I posted originally about port probs and subject went onto Picasa, just posted back my experience of it with my new printer

john christopher
29-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Trudy

Have to tried running the DNP's via XP within Lightroom 3? Weird that everyone is having so much trouble running the native DNP drivers via OSX (Intel).

Steph