Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Annoyance with the Hiti 510i [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Annoyance with the Hiti 510i

Mac McBride
12-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have a suitable driver for this printer for a MAC that works 64 bit.

The prints that come out of this by default are dark and have a nasty magenta cast, this can be compensated by changing the settings but this only works from a 32 bit program because the option is crossed out on a 64 bit program.

So i cannot print straight from Photoshop CS5, LightRoom3, Preview, IE and others because they all run in 64 bit on a MAC by default.

Anyone help...?

Ed Brown
12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Can you install colour profiles even though you can't make adjustments ?

Mac McBride
12-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Probably for PS and LR....

Do you mean paper profiles or specific colour ones, this has always been a Voodoo area for me...!

Stuart Morley
12-11-2010, 01:43 PM
What do the images look like if you print straight from the card?

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Mac McBride
12-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Not sure, last time i tried it would not work but i guess that was because i was trying to print a RAW file. I will try it again later when i get back home.

Stuart Morley
12-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes it would need to be a JPG.

The quality out of the box is very good, however as with any printers once being used on the machine the profiles come into play.

If it prints ok from the card then try it from iPhoto and compare the results.

If it is the same (or very similiar) in iPhoto then it's a application issue.

PhotoShop is known to cause issues if not setup correctly.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Mac McBride
12-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks Stu,

But at the same time it would be nice to have a driver that you can change so that photoshop is not an issue....?

I do not want to have to do all my work in one program then export to another one to print..

Stuart Morley
12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
The issue is that the printer will print fine from a card, fine from STANDARD software on the Mac but when used with a program that has many settings for profiling may not work if the it is set wrongly.

This is a problem with PS not the printer.

I am not saying don't use PS, but I am saying a) don't blame the printer and b) setup PS correctly.

As with any issues it is just a case of isolating what is at fault and 90% of the time it's beloved PS

Hope that makes it clear

Stu

Mac McBride
12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Stu,

I printed from the printer and it is over exposed and looks like the clarity slider has been dragged right up.

Also on the printer it does not show me the pictures i am selecting it just has a box with edit on it. Cannot find anything about that in the instructions.

From Preview which is a Mac 64 bit app the print looks good but a little bit soft.
From LR3 in 32 bit mode it looks sharp and in focus with more definition in the hair, this is running my settings that take out the magenta hue and correct the brightness.

I will keep playing and wasting prints but my original point still stands, there is not a 64 bit driver for Mac OSX which means that i am seeing different results from the same program if i run it in 64 bit or 32 bit.

Mac

Stuart Morley
12-11-2010, 09:30 PM
The edit image in the display means that the image you have selected is not the original image. It is an image that has been edited.

When your camera saves a .jpg to the memory card a small portion of the file is set aside for a small preview. This is what is shown usually onscreen. However when almost all application save an image as a .jpg they omit this image and so the HiTi has to show the edit logo to show the .jpg is not the original but an edited version.

If you have edited the .jpg then I would need to see a copy of that image.

I would suggest trying to print a file straight from the camera without it going near the Mac, then trying to print that image from Iphoto and then from your app (PS). Don't save the image at any time just use the original file.

If you give me a call on Monday I will get you to email the image and I can try in the office on a variety of 510S/ 510Si's here. I still suspect it is a profiling issue and that PS is "getting in the way" as usual but I am sure we will get to the bottom of it.

Hope that helps

Stu