Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Anyone using the HiTi P510K Photo Kiosk System [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the HiTi P510K Photo Kiosk System

George Michie
11-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Been looking at this for my first onsite printer and it certainly looks as if it might tick a few boxes but has anyone actually used one?

Stuart Morley
11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
I have used many 510K's, especially as we sell them:)

Great printer which is based on the popular 510S / 510Si print engine.

The Kiosk part is ideally suited for a retail environment not ideal for events, but it can be used at events (a few people do)

If you just want it for events then maybe the 510S / 510Si would be a better bet, but if you have a retail shop and do events then it's the 510K. The 510K can be connected to 510S's as well which gives different print sizes, faster speed etc.

I would have a demo before you decided if it was ideal for events.

More info at http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/hiti-p510k-photo-kiosk.html

Let me know if you have any other questions

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Kevin James
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
We use the 510K at some events. Especially if we need more than one printer. It certainly is a nice little printer, and does away with the need to have a seperate computer on site to use it :-)

George Michie
12-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the replies :) I've never printed on site so my thinking could be way off, happy to bow to greater experience.

The reason why I was looking at that was the flexibility it would give for smaller shows where I wouldn't necessarily want to have a PC set up and it would be unlikely to be profitable to have two people there.

The wifi set up on the 510si also looks attractive for this type of job. Can it be set to not print the image when it gets sent to it or does that create storage issues?

Stuart Morley
12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi

The 510Si will print all images that are sent to it wirelessly, you may however choose (on camera) what images are sent.

The P510Si will NOT store any images just print them, so ensure delete on send is disabled on the camera (I believe it usually is)

Hope that helps.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

George Michie
12-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Ah right, thanks.

Has/does anyone print at events on a speculative basis? I know this could create an argument about cost/profit but I'm just looking at options.

Mike Weeks
12-09-2010, 08:20 PM
George,

there are certain times when printing all the images works and others where it does not - get it wrong and the only person making a profit is the dealer. As an example at an equestrian event I may end up with 2000-3000 images and there it certainly would not pay. I have done some fottball tournaments for other people where we print all and due to the high sales and the short space of time that that needs to be done in then viewing systems and contact sheets would not be an option.

I have heard of a few people saying how much it improves sales but because no 2 events are the same and you never can repeat an event then you cant make an exact comparison. Due to the type of social events that I handle I find that very few people do not purchase and I have enough sales people to deal with all customers so for those I can not see an advantage to it.

Places where I have heard of it working well are things like nativety plays where you photograph the rehearsal and then have the images available at the actual performance.

Mike

ian griffiths
12-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey George,

It's quite difficult to make a loss and whilst I'm not suggesting you pre-print 2-3K images do consider this. If you take a chance and print all at a dinner dance for eg you are unlikley to make a loss due to printing costs, you might not make as much as perhaps you'd have liked, you might make more?

If you print a full roll of paper 270 - 350 images depending upon size and printer type your actual paper cost is very low, perhaps 85'ish so in Mike speak 9 sales covers this cost, yes there are other costs but in this senario I am just considering the printing costs, if printing all sells an additional 10-15 then you are in pocket, if not then you loose but your loss is limited to the cost of the paper, so not a great gamble at an average evening event.

I'd suggest you try both and see what suits YOU the best, either way, it can be really exciting finding out!

Stuart Morley
13-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Good advice from Mike and Ian.

The need for printing all comes from the lack of time you have with the client. So for example at a black tie event the event may run from 7 till 12, but how much time do you have with the clients?

If you have a lot of time then use a linear workflow, shoot, sell then print or shoot print, then sell

If time with the clients is limited then shoot them (maybe on arrival or before dinner) then print all and display / sell at the end of the evening.

I know of examples where sales went from 250 to 800 and although costs went up (media) the profit was vastly increased due to the high margin associated with the product. If the margins were the standard 20-30% then it wouldn't work of course.

You are in fact gambling 1 against a sale of 20 and given that the guests have a choice about being photographed you are selling to people who wanted their photo taken so it's not a cold sale. Conversion rates are always high, it's just a numbers game at the end of the day.

It's all about maximising the time you have available. At the end of the evening you can be in fact serving tens of people at once, something you can't do if you print on demand.

Workflow (which is crucial) is all covered on our "Event Photography for Profit" training course which is held monthly and by coincidence today's course is the fifth year we have been running it, so birthday cake for todays delegates!

Hope that helps

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bryan Osborne
13-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Agree with the posts, it is probably only an arguement about level of profit at fixed events i.e. those you turn up to and have say 100 or so shots? One could also make a sales point of the fact that ALL photos are printed for the event and the guests have the choice to buy or not!

There does however come a point where the print up front benefit crosses the deficit axis. Example, turn up to a big footie tournament with say 70 plus teams. All Individual and Team Shots, plus Presentation Shots is a LOT of media. The event can run over a weekend, you need a staff and food and lodgings. So a few thousand prints is a lot of money and recent events across Europe on this type of event have seen sales at around 57% on average...

Better approach, work out the number of prints that you CAN make available, work out your overhead and then work out what you need to take PER TEAM to cover everything including the profit you would like to have...This points you to viability of the job AND the method you will use to fulfill!