Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP Spacers - reduced [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP Spacers - reduced

Mark Amies
01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Just been informed , the print spacers for the 7x5 media packs have been reduced down to 40 plus Vat. They were originally around 100, which we moaned about time and time again, and so looks like they listened.

However very few of you are likely to need these ,as most of you will be doing 6x9 exclusively.

Alan Warner
01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Mark

These should have been included from the start,

IMO: a rather short sighted approach from DNP, given that the market leaders supply as standard with their model's !

Maybe PhotoMart could give away free with 1st purchase of 7x5 media to promote interest again in 7x5 format ;-)

I'm sure someone has the clout at PM to sort this...

Al'

ian griffiths
01-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Alan,

In fairness to DNP if you are reducing your selling price then you often remove some of those items that might ordinarily come in the box. Note I didn't say come free? As we all know nothing is truly free, its all costed somewhere down the line.

The other issue is how many people actually print 5"? I do it purposely for marketing reasons and I know I'm in a minority but it works for me and makes up-selling so darned easy!

Alan Warner
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Ian,

I'm guessing until now 7x5 media has largely remained on the shelf in the warehouse hence the reduction,

Its about time they added the "Poxy over priced piece of plastic" to the retail box with the printer and even if they added 50p-1 to the 7x5 media retail price multiplied that by units sold world wide to cover the costs then as a PR exercise offer for a limited time a set of "free" 7x5 adapters with purchase of 1st box of 7x5 media per unit sold...

Al'

Bryan Osborne
01-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Like the university challenge photo Ian, I guess it trumps mine!!!

gary evans
01-09-2010, 12:38 PM
IMO: a rather short sighted approach from DNP, given that the market leaders supply as standard with their model's !

Most car manufacturers include a rear wiper as standard, but not the truly desirable marques.

I offer 7x5, but they are marketed as small. Means I shift truckloads of my standard size

Mark Amies
01-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Ian,

I'm guessing until now 7x5 media has largely remained on the shelf in the warehouse hence the reduction,

Its about time they added the "Poxy over priced piece of plastic" to the retail box with the printer and even if they added 50p-1 to the 7x5 media retail price multiplied that by units sold world wide to cover the costs then as a PR exercise offer for a limited time a set of "free" 7x5 adapters with purchase of 1st box of 7x5 media per unit sold...

Al'

Alan, with all respect , one has to understand the market in which the printers are being sold , on a world wide scale. Yes , the event photography market in the UK is important , but it is dwarfed by the market the machines go to other than that - ie retail photo retail. As far as I am aware the biggest market is 6x4 prints for reatil, and then some of the photo kiosks that include these types of printers, wil be able to produce 2 6x4 from 6x9 meida packs, however the take up on 5x7 is not a s big. Therefore presumably DNP , much like Fuji do not put them in at the point of manufacture, to keep unecessary costs down.

Mitsubishi are unusual by having the 5x7 spacers as an included item. Oh , and by the way , the fact that we managed to get the price down, does show that someone here at Phomtomart did have some clout. 40 is not enormous, and if you put it into context with 4 print sales, it may sweeten the pill.

Bryan Osborne
01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I had spacers made for another brand of printer by a guy who actually made them out of plywood for 20...

Mind you we brits have always been good at it I remember a story of some german engineer sending rather smugly a screw that was about a 3mm diameter as an example of true great german engineering.

A bod at the works "tapped" it internally with a counter thread and a corresponding screw and sent it back stragely we didn't hear from Herman again!

ian griffiths
01-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey Bryan,

My photo is only a few months old! :rofl:

gary evans
01-09-2010, 04:39 PM
My photo is only a few months old!

But it does make you look like a consulting physiatrist.

What happened to the laying down I-dont-give-a-monkeys pose?

Wonder what the body language readers make of it all?

:rofl:

Mark Amies
01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
It's Bryan's body language that is worrying me!! :-o

gary evans
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Its some of his thought processes that worry me.

Men in white coats and all that ..............

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gary evans
01-09-2010, 04:54 PM
It's Bryan's body language that is worrying me!! :-o

And anyway, this coming from someone who has a halo in his avatar, and so obviously has a messiah complex!!

Bryan Osborne
01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Its a "good life" type photo! My photo is accurate for the "period"!

Mark Amies
01-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey , that ain't a halo, salesmen don't have halos, we are damned into the firey pit mate.

no, that will be the UFO that is about to tactor beanm me up to planet dye sub.

Waaahhhhhhhhhhhh :-o

ian griffiths
01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Gary, come in, sit down, tell me all about it!

I spent the day in Norwich yesterday with the better half, we took in the cathedral. a few record shops and then we found a nice old pub that she drank dry of gin!

We got back about 10pm after a divert to Gt. Yarmouth for fish and chips and she can't remember a thing!

gary evans
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
There used to be 365 pubs in Norwich, one for every day of the year. And in Kings Lynn there is one called "The Honest Lawyer" - so there is at least one in town.

I spent the day in Liverpool shooting students. With a camera not literally :lol:

Bryan Osborne
02-09-2010, 08:19 AM
The Photo was taken in Peru in 1978 so now you know, it was/is a nostalgic photo for me for a couple of reasons really, I have it in a lot of visual spots in the office etc..

The photo is in our base camp at about 13,600ft I am glancing up at snow caps at around
19,000ft and watching a handful of of other climbers make a weary ascent.. It has a lot of nostalgia as I was at the time working with a couple of paras who unfortunately went on to lose their lives in the Falklands War..

Anyhow great memories of a fit and youthful Bryan Osbonre without a care in the world.
an a take on anything attitude.

Now married 31yrs just cleared two kids through a PHD and Masters Degree, Old, Overweight, Overworked and hey, well...STILL happy I guess...