Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
WT-4 - given up the ghost [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : WT-4 - given up the ghost

RichardHobson
25-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone has some experience of the WT-4 and may be able to point me in the right direction before I call the supplier and seek a replacement for the unit.

The story is.....

About a month ago purchased WT-4.

Set up in ad-hoc mode on laptop without any difficulty. Using D300s. Used WT-4 setup utility to set it all up.

Worked flawlessly for several event. Simply turn on the laptop, select the correct wireless network from the list and turn on the wt-4. Hey presto all photo's are transmitted to the laptop and appear in the folder where they should be. Use picassa to watch folder and bob's my uncle.

So after working flawlessly for several events I setup at a hotel, turned it all on and .....nothing.

The camera reports connecting to network. The laptop reports waiting for users to connect.

Run WT-4 setup again. No Joy.

Deleted all profiles and reset it all up. No Joy.

To take the laptop out of the equation I've also tried on a new laptopn. Old one was using vista. New one using Windows 7. Same result.

Other things tried

- firewalls all turned off
- formatted memory on wt-4

Seems odd that it worked flawlessly for several events and now won't connect.

My conclusion so far is that the WT-4 has developed a fault and needs to be looked at or replaced.

Unless you can suggest anything different?

Cheers

Richard

Mike Weeks
25-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I have had 3 issues;

WT4 broke and I also broke the loan one from Nikon - D700 repaired as well (thankfully all under warranty and card swapping came in handy)

Stopped recently and it is the repaired USB connection on the D700 that is faulty (just arguing the fixing of the repair with Nikon)

Netgear Access point also blew up (good to carry a spare)

I would try a different acces point / router to see if that makes a difference.

Mike

RichardHobson
25-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm using it in ad-hoc mode so there's no router issue. As it's not working on the second laptop either I'm erring on it being a faulty wt-4

Jeremy Nako
25-08-2010, 09:58 AM
It's been years since I set up an Ad-hoc connection, but are you sure that the network name is correctly created on the WT4 ?

It's case sensitive and therefore has to match the network name exactly, which I didn't realise when originally setting up.

RichardHobson
25-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm going to try setting up in infrastructure mode to eliminate that as an issue. But pretty certain the wt-4 setup utility should take care of the naming issue. We'll see!

john christopher
25-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Richard

I'm with Jeremy on this one. AD-HOC is really bad mojo. Don't go there! Infrastructure is the lick! That's the way to go.

Mike

What in Jah's name are you doing to your routers? You're not in the army now, we DON"T "blow up" routers on the EPS. Time you treat your gear with a bit of respect, you naughty boy!

Steph

RichardHobson
25-08-2010, 11:24 AM
My head hurts.......

Ad hoc was working so well and I changed nothing. Now doing this infrastructure thing is losing the rest of my hair for me!

Jeremy Nako
25-08-2010, 11:27 AM
There are a number of benefits of going infrastructure Richard, not least of which is that it's more reliable and transmits at a max of 54mb rather than the max of 11mb that is the limit for Ad-hoc.

RichardHobson
25-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Ok, so set it up in infrastructure mode using my existing home network and wireless router. Used wt-4 setup utility to set it up. Entered correct password for network etc.

Nada. Camera just says connecting to network.

Conclusion - WT-4 is dead.

Going back to suppliers. If they can show me it going with my laptop then all well and good. If not then it's only a month old so hopefully get some joy with a replacement working before I leave.

RichardHobson
25-08-2010, 11:34 AM
With regards to the ad-hoc vs infrastructure I'm aware of the benefits, just set it up initially in adhoc for speed and it worked flawlessly. The transmission of jpg to the laptop was plenty fast enough for me with images there before I turned around to show the customers. I just cant get my head around it all working fine one day then not the next. It must be fried.

ian griffiths
25-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey Richard,

Been a while since X Factor, how you doing?

Everyone has a view and that's the problem with a democracy!!

As you know I run my wireless on ad hoc and it works, and works, and works! So do make up your own mind. I've shot 4,500 Avon ladies on mine this last 5 days.

From what you've said it really does sound like the transmitter has packed up, so before you start ripping everything else apart get the WT4 checked out.

Jeremy Nako
25-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Richard

I don't mean to labour the point, but are you sure that the network NAME is identical on both devices ?

Jeremy Nako
25-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Richard

Why don't you take a screen shot of the router setup screen, and a screen shot of the WT-4 setup summery screen and email them to me or post them on the thread.

That way I may well be able to confirm that the settings are correct or otherwise.

ian bonthrone
25-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Richard, before you do anything else, plug a USB cable to your computer and camera and make sure it is not the USB card that is damaged.
I had a similar problem with WT3 and after much fafing and advice I discovered nothing wrong with WT3 or settings, it was the D200 USB card/socket.
I have since heard of many USB failings.

Ian

john christopher
25-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Hey Richard,

Been a while since X Factor, how you doing?

Everyone has a view and that's the problem with a democracy!!

As you know I run my wireless on ad hoc and it works, and works, and works! So do make up your own mind. I've shot 4,500 Avon ladies on mine this last 5 days.

From what you've said it really does sound like the transmitter has packed up, so before you start ripping everything else apart get the WT4 checked out.

Yeah, yeah, yeah Pale Dude, blah, blah blah but ain't you bankrolling some networking expert from NASA to setup your AD-HOC wireless network? Every time I've seen a regular Joe attempt to set one up, the Joe in questions comes a cropper! Yeah, infrastructure is a bitch to setup but once it is, it's diamond geezer all the way to the bank.

Steph

RichardHobson
25-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Cable is fine. It's the same cable to connect camera to laptop to transfer the network settings.

With regards to network name. The WT-4 setup utility takes care of all that and did when I had it working so it's not that. Infact you can't change the network name on the camera once the setup utility has completed. You can erase it all and restart (I know - i've done it)

The setup utility sets up the camera and the laptop. All that should need to happen then is to click connect on the laptop and select the profile in the camera.

The unit is fried.

RichardHobson
26-08-2010, 11:15 AM
UPDATE:

Popped to see the retailer this morning along with wt-4, camera, 2 laptops and associated gubbins.

Turns out the wt-4 is dead!

left with a replacement - setup, tested and working.

So glad I bought this one locally rather than online!

Cheers all.

Richard

john christopher
26-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Richard

Please tell me that you've setup in infrastructure and NOT ad-hoc. BTW: How old and how many times did you use your old WT-4 before it got mashed up?

Steph

RichardHobson
27-08-2010, 11:52 PM
I'll leave the ad-hoc vs infrastructure debate for now!

It was nearly 4 weeks old and had seen 9 events before it failed.

Used the replacement in anger tonight and apart from wishing I had a few more batteries and battery chargers with me it was flawless.

I love peoples face when you take the photo's and walk 6 feet with them and the pictures are already there!