Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Eye Fi Problem [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Eye Fi Problem

Steve Parker
18-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Can you help.

I pruchased and eye-fi card connect 4GB x2 from jessops.
Keen to try it out I used a finefix camera and all was well.

I have purched an adapter CFII and placed in my Canon eos 50D (system Insight)

It tells me to format the card in camers.
After trying this my camera says not formated replace card!!!!!!!

I have formatted the card on my Laptop and still the same problem, I have also tried a full format, still the same problem..

Is my new adaptor kernackered or am I doing something wrong?

RobMarsh
18-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Steve

You have done nothing wrong

Eye-Fi USA advise that the X2 series of cards are not compatable with pro cameras and will never work in them. I tried one in my kit and it wasn't recognised. I beleive from another thread that Trudy Trafford has got one in her Nikon and is having problems

My advice, take it back and tell them you want a basic Home card

Steve Parker
18-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Cheers Rob

Oh well I will keep this one anyway as I think its a brilliant tool.

I will go and get the home one!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will get it from SystemInsight tommorow.

Steve Parker
18-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Just to follow up on that one

System Insight show the same card in the kit they sell???????

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/eye- ... -card.html (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/eye-fi-wireless-sd-card.html)

Confuzzed

RobMarsh
18-08-2010, 05:19 PM

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/eye- ... -card.html (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/eye-fi-wireless-sd-card.html)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Confuzzed

If they have got the X2 working then I don't know how, but if you buy it from them, I am sure they will advise and support you with it.
I am only passing on the info I got from the tech boys in the US when I contacted them about the X2 I bought

Steve Parker
18-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I shall give them. Bell tomorrow. Thanks again Rob.

bppowell
19-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I have just bought this setup, Bought the Eye-Fi card from Amazon the CF adapter from VirtuaVia (VirtuaVia were recommended on another thread) .

Set it up no bother and it worked for a couple of shots then I had a card error message. Managed to fix this by putting the SDHC in the reader that comes with it and reformatting.

Took another series of shots and they all ended up on the pc ok. Then took a machine gun series of shots to see what would happen and they arrived on the pc.

Took the setup into work today but my works network would not let the Eye Fi card connect to the network, I will try again tomorrow using my Orange dongle.

I will also try again later tonight here at home.

Stuart Morley
19-08-2010, 07:01 PM

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/eye- ... -card.html (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/web/eye-fi-wireless-sd-card.html)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Confuzzed

If they have got the X2 working then I don't know how, but if you buy it from them, I am sure they will advise and support you with it.
I am only passing on the info I got from the tech boys in the US when I contacted them about the X2 I bought

Hi Rob,

Spoke with Steve (Parker) today and we are using the X2 but in Nikons which seem to work. The issue seems to be with Canon Pro Cameras for some reason. It seems a retrograde step bringing out a newer card that works with less cameras to be honest !

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

bppowell
21-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I have now tested the setup I have at home and after the initial failure it has worked a treat.

Took it into work to give it a much more realistic test and did not get past round one.

I could not get my works network to allow the Eye-Fi card access.

How do others manage the wireless access?

Barry

RobMarsh
21-08-2010, 04:19 PM
How do others manage the wireless access?

Barry

I personally have a dedicated wireless router that is only used at events that connects to my server. I do also have a backup router of a lower spec also configured to both my cards in case of emergencies.

bppowell
21-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi, not sure I grasp what you are telling me.

I just have a laptop that I use at event (very low key at the momnet). Are you able connect the Exe-Fi to a router and the router to a laptop and then form your own wireless network ?

Barry

Alan Warner
22-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Are you able connect the Exe-Fi to a router and the router to a laptop and then form your own wireless network ?

That's about the size of it !

** although the "PRO" cards allow an AdHOC connection to laptop without the need for router"

**AdHOC is normally considered as being of "lower performance"

Al'

bppowell
22-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks, I will give it a go.

Barry

RobMarsh
22-08-2010, 07:38 AM
I am sure you have done this, but to clarify the process

You need to register your card at the Eye-fi site - so you need to be connected to the internet
Whilst at the site, you need to configure the wireless network you want to connect through (Upto 14 different one's allowed per card)
You also need to specify where the incoming files are going to be put ( I refer to this as a hot folder)
You need to check that you don't have geotagging or relay upload boxes ticked, as depending on the card you have bought, it might come with this done as a default, and once you remove it from the internet, it will appear to not work.

Once you have all the setup done. Remove the internet connection. Plug the router into the computer via ethernet cable and off you go. Launch the helper programme to enable you to receive the images, choose if you want thumbnails to display or not

The ad-hoc by using a pro card is extremely slow, it runs at 6mb/sec against a wifi connection speed through a router of 54mb/sec

Hope this helps

bppowell
22-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Thank you Rob,
I wish I had read your post before spending hours today trying to figure it out and getting nowhere.

I will not give it a try with the info you have given.

Barry

bppowell
23-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I have now tried upteen ways to add the Netgear network to the eyefi card and failed every time. Been in contact with their support but not a lot of help up to now.

I can get the router to accept the card but it fails every time on trying to connect to the eyefi server. I have even made it so that the Netgear router connected to the web but it still failed at the same point. Now ready to give up.

Barry

john wright
23-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Another 'gotcha' with the Eye-Fi cards is they are tied to the computer name that they are enabled on.

In Contol Panel - System (for Windows) you can find the computer name.

If you are setting up the card on one machine and then running it another then both computers must have the same name. These cannot be networked together due to the name clash so if you are setting up on one machine and intending to run on another then disconnect the set up machine from the network but keep it connected to the internet and give the set up machine the same name as the target machine and complete the set up as per Robs post. Rename the set up machine after set up.

When testing initially switch the camera on and you should see a flurry of activity on the router LEDs. For initial testing keep the camera within 1 meter of the router (this will minimise any problems you may be having with other devices on the same wireless channel). Wait at least 30 seconds before taking your first picture (this gives the Eye-Fi card time to pick up an IP address). Your router must have DHCP server enabled.

Most routers will give you a log of current connections and allocated addresses. You can check here if the Eye-Fi card has actually connected to the router.

John

Ed Brown
23-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Im so pleased that I dont have to worry about the EyeFi and wireless stuff!

I just at purchase took my gear and said please set this up on my cpu - then touch wood i have never once had a problem with connection.

Im a photographer I leave the i.t to the professionals.

:puter:

bppowell
24-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks John and others,
I set the card up initially on my pc connected to my Orange livebox. This was very easy and worked first time. For most events I use a dell laptop. If I connect the laptop to my Orange Livebox then the EyeFi card does not have a problem and works a treat.

I needed to set up the laptop with a mobile router for when I am working. I cannot rely on picking up a local network, so I bought a Netgear N router. This is when my problems started.

Its a steep learning curve.

I will try as John suggested tonight when I get home. Must admit I have had more useful help here than I have from EysFi support.

Barry

Ed Brown
24-08-2010, 09:35 AM
That's the good thing about the EPS it's got lots of friendly people who will help.

Hope it gets sorted.

john wright
24-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi Barry

The Eye-Fi Manager needs to be able to 'see' the wireless network you will be using and then you add it to the list of networks.

When setting up your wireless router give it a SSID you can recognise ie change the default one from 'Netgear blah' to 'barry1' or something similar. This is not essential but makes it easier for you to recognise your router if there are a few others around you.

Once you have set up the router then connect the laptop to the Orange live box and with the wireless router still switched on but not connected to anything add the router SSID to the private networks list in the Eye-Fi Manager. Double check that Geotagging and all other internet functionality is disabled (Facebook, Flicker etc) in the Eye-Fi Manager.

Once all updated in Eye-Fi Manager then disconnect the laptop from the internet and connect (using a cable) to the router. Switch off the wireless functionality on the laptop.

Do the one metre test with card and camera and if all good then test at longer ranges.

It is important that nothing else is wireless and using the same router channel so the laptop and any viewing stations must be wired to the router. This ensures the Eye-Fi card is not competing with anything else for bandwidth and also ensures that the relatively low signal levels of the Eye-Fi card are not swamped by anything else.

Hope this helps

John

bppowell
24-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I posted a reply once but it is not showing up on my PC so here goes again.

Thanks for all the help, I have had more help from here than I have from the Eye-Fi support but they are still trying.

I will give John's suggestion a try tonight.

Barry

bppowell
24-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I posted a reply once but it is not showing up on my PC so here goes again.

Thanks for all the help, I have had more help from here than I have from the Eye-Fi support but they are still trying.

I will give John's suggestion a try tonight.

Barry

It helps if you go back a page ;-)

Barry

bppowell
25-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Some progress made.

I have finally managed to get the eyefi card to connect to the netgear router. This was after all the advice I had on here and three hours of trial and error last night.

The cure was quite simple, there is a WPS button on the front of the router and it would not allow the card to connect until out of frustration I pushed it. It would appear that this put the router in pairing mode and allowed connections.

I will try the rest of the procedure to test it working today.

Barry

bppowell
25-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Set the kit up at work today and it all worked first time. Did a few test from vaious distances and all arrived safely on the laptop.

Thanks for all the help.

Barry

andrew waring
03-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Just read this post and thought I'd mention I've been using an eye-fi x2 card in a canon 1000D and 50D with cf adapter. I don't think I've done anything different. It was set up on a nikon and was working ok, then I went to use my camera and I just took the eyefi out of the nikon and put it in my canon and carried on, worked ok.
So maybe worth setting the card up with a different camera before putting it into the canon?

Walter James
05-11-2010, 02:27 AM
S.O.S...

I cannot set up my new eye fi card with my 20d or 50d both camera will not formatted the card and even if i formatted the card in the computer, I still get a error err cf comes up why is this? in the 20d...

In the 50d the error message on the back of the screen is that the eye-fi cards need to be formatted in camera... When I do this all it say is that the cf card cannot be formatted, or eye-fi in its adapter from maplins....

RobMarsh
05-11-2010, 06:13 AM
S.O.S...

I cannot set up my new eye fi card with my 20d or 50d both camera will not formatted the card and even if i formatted the card in the computer, I still get a error err cf comes up why is this? in the 20d...

In the 50d the error message on the back of the screen is that the eye-fi cards need to be formatted in camera... When I do this all it say is that the cf card cannot be formatted, or eye-fi in its adapter from maplins....

Walter

Several points in your post worry me.

1) The Maplin CF adapoter used to be a metal bodied item, if this is the case, you will more than likely not get any signal from the card due to the shielding the adaptor provides. After all the testing I did, I can advise that even the plastic bodied ones, will reduce the signal by about 15%

2) If you have bought an X2 version card, which from your description of the error, it sounds like. Then possibly try the solution Andy Waring suggests of formatting it in a Nikon. If no success, then best suggestion, return it to where you bought it from and seek out an old style home card.

As I have previously posted, Eye-Fi tech support USA have confirmed that at present, the X2 cards will not work with Canon cameras, and should not work with Nikon, but some people on here have had success with Nikon. I was speaking to them earlier this week about the problem, and it has been suggested by them that I work with them to try and resolve the problem, so watch the forums

Bryan Osborne
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I think most people have just simply stripped off both side covers of the CF card and reduced this item to a "skeleton" of it's former self. I run at no more than say 1mtrs and apart from the ocassional wait for a catch up I am happy with it's performance to application. However, I DO turn off auto power down on the camera and one has to be mindful of battery power.

I am just surprised that nobody has looked at cheaper technology that can be adapted to offer wireless to either Nikon or Canon or indeed to ANY camera with a download connector.?? Probably patent issues???

RobMarsh
05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I run at no more than say 1mtrs and apart from the ocassional wait for a catch up I am happy with it's performance to application.

Bryan

Have to say that if I was only getting a distance of 1 metre, I would be very dissapointed. I personally get an indoor range of 15 to 20 metres and have in one venue, out performed a Canon own unit for distance

Bryan Osborne
05-11-2010, 02:12 PM
meant 15 the 5 keystroke din't register LOL!

Walter James
05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I think i may have deleted all the default software that came with my 8gb pr eye-fi card when i formatted...

What a wally i am, and i was hoping to use this wifi card at an event tomorrow....

Since the canon 50d does not even try to recognize the card...

Yep that is what i am a Wally

Kris Hunt
07-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Am thinking of purchasing an eye-fi Connect X2 (was thinking of System Insight, but not as they are 10 (not inc tax) more expensive than even the RRP for this item).

Anyway, would something like this mini wireless access point be compatible?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3in1-Mini-Wireles ... 43a300f4bb (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3in1-Mini-Wireless-N-G-WiFi-Router-Access-Point-Adapter-/290497557691?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a300f4bb)

simonslater
27-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I am using the 4gb x2 in a canon 1DmkIII with no probs, maybe I just got a lucky card :D

Alan Warner
31-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Simon,

Not luck your using in the SD not a CF adapter thats why it works 100%

Al'