Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP VS Sony and others ?s [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP VS Sony and others ?s

Ed Morgan
18-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi
I am working on building a green screen system and will need to print 8x10 and 8x12 size prints.
I have a Sony 200 for doing 4x6 or 5x7.

I have been reading what little i can find on the DNP 8x10-12 printer and it sounds good.

But i wanted to ask here why DNP over all the others like Shinko Sony and Kodak.
My main two picks have been Sony and Shinko.
Sony as it will print and cut both 8x10 and 8x12 from the same roll and Shinko for it being so fast and a work horse i see a lot of people call it.

Then i have DNP it sounds like something like the Shinko.

So if you have used other printers and now use DNP please tell my why this is the better way to go before i spend the money and invest into a system.
I am in the US and looking in the web it seems like very few people sell the DNP printers compared to all the others.

What about supplys is it easy to get in the USA i would hate to not be able to get the paper rolls when i need that fast.

Also support if it quits working can this be fixed in the US fast

Thanks

ian bonthrone
18-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Ed - Hang on in there. I am sure Mark and many others will have some answers for you on this post and your other by the time you switch your computer on in the morning.

Mike Weeks
18-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Ed,

principally it is the size and weight, i.e. the DNP is much smaller than those you mention - it is available in the USA from places such as http://www.imagingspectrum.com/dnp-ds80 ... -ds80.html (http://www.imagingspectrum.com/dnp-ds80-dye-sub_printer-ds80.html) and it is also much newer technology being the winner of the DIMA colour shoot out last year. Shinko seem to have supply problems with media at present, Kodak with the like of the 1400 seemed to have reliability issues (sure later models are improved) and the Shinko is a big heavy box.

Note: Ed is based in the USA, can you look at viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2857 (http://www.eventphotographersociety.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2857) Ed, thanks.

Mike

ian griffiths
18-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi Ed,

Welcome to a mainly Blighty based forum but I do know there are one or two of us here who cross the pond on a regular basis.

What's your location as in the US this can have a huge impact on equipment and service available to you?

Stuart Morley
18-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I would discount the Shinko, Serious media supply issues (in Europe) with some of their printers would make me nervous for the future with any Shinko printers

I would also discount the Kodak, on the basis of weight, availability, media cost, build quality of the unit and possible purchase price.

Two main contenders in my book: The Mitsubishi CP3800DW and the DNP DS80. It's no secret that I am a big Mitsubishi fan as their support, reliability, parts supply is second to none. Can't comment about the DNP DS80 as I have no experience of it, although others will give you more information on that I am sure :-)

I use the CP3800DW but have used ASK4000, Kodak 9810 in the past.

Hope that helps

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark Amies
18-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Hello Ed

Sony's 8x10 printer is the UP DR80, and it is quite different to the DNP and Mitsubishi machines, notably in terms of it's cost and in terms of print capacity.

I couldn't couldn't comment on Shinko. You are in the US, and I am in the UK.

ian griffiths
18-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Shinko are huge in the US having had offices there since 95 and are one of the market leaders. I think they probably have a different view on stocks of media there than here as the market is so much more important to them than the UK and Europe, they always used to get the new models way ahead of the UK.

Mark Amies
18-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Just to underline, as we are in the DNP section , and not in the general printers section, the DNP printers are not related in any way to Shinko. Shinko , or to give them their new correct title Sinfonia, are an OEM, and Original Equipment Manufacturer.

DNP's machine is made by an OEM, but not Shinko.

I work for Photomart , who are DNP's appointed UK distributor.

18-08-2010, 04:05 PM
This thread has gone so far off-topic it is ubelievable. The original poster was asking for advice about printers - particularly the DNP & Sony range. He did not ask for a discussion about the relative merits of the European supply chain of different manufacturers, fridges & TVs. I personally am not a DNP user, but I am getting heartily sick of the constant sniping that is made "because they don't have a UK office." What relevance does that have to the original poster, who is based in the US? None.

In future, please only comment on the merits of a bit of equipment if you have first-hand experience of using it.

Mod1

18-08-2010, 04:17 PM
The thread has now been tidied up and those posts that had no relevance to Ed's question have been removed. Anyone who posts with the intention of derailing the topic will face suspension from the forum for a period of time.

Mod1

Graham Taylor
18-08-2010, 04:43 PM
So if you have used other printers and now use DNP please tell my why this is the better way to go before i spend the money and invest into a system.
I am in the US and looking in the web it seems like very few people sell the DNP printers compared to all the others.

What about supplys is it easy to get in the USA i would hate to not be able to get the paper rolls when i need that fast.

Also support if it quits working can this be fixed in the US fast

Thanks

I think this selective quote from Ed proves the replies stayed fairly well on topic. OK a few posts may have quoted different items but the points made were (IMO) valid. My own point about UK resellers and warranty claims having to be sent back to service centres in different countries was in reply to Jeremy's point about benefits of manufacturers having a UK base with service facilities and something everyone should take into account when buying goods be it printers, fridges, TV's etc. I'm sure Ed would have taken this and applied it to his own situation.

Just for the record has this thread been moderated in reponse to a complaint?

john christopher
18-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Ed

If space, storage or transport is NOT a problem, then I'd go for the industrial strength of the Shinko, Copal, Fuji, Sony machines. If on the other hand, it is a problem, I'd go for the DNP-80 and the Mits CP3800DW, instead. Most of my family and friends in the US have garages bigger than the size of my front room.My personal circumstances means that I've got think small and work smaller. Your circumstances could be very different. That's my two cents.

Steph

Ed Morgan
20-08-2010, 05:08 AM
I had asked a few places here in the US about the Mitsubishi and i was told by two places that the Mitsubishi is hard to get support for here in the US and if something needs to be fixed it will take 8 weeks or longer till i would get it back and both places told me the Sony and Shinkos make better prints.

I was sent samples and the Sony and Kodak did look better then the Mitsubishi they did not send any Shinko prints but then i started reading about the DNP that sounds very good.

But i have looked and it is hard to find a DNP FS here i could only find two places. You can get a Sony Kodak or Mitsubishi all over the place.
So this would make me wonder about getting supply's fast in time.

I am still leaning to the DNP but the two places that sell it have a big differance in price by $700.

This would be used in a store location doing amusiment photos all day long 7 days a week for 9 months a year. What every printer i go with i will need two of them.

I will need to be able to get supply's fast all the time and need to be able to get it fixed fast if needed.

If all this works out as expected we would be printing around 600 8x10s a week or more.

ian griffiths
20-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi Ed,

Perhaps the best way for you to approach this is to find out what service techs/supply you have in your area?

A good place for real accurate information would be to contact Fran Kline at Armadillo Photo Supply, Fran knows everyone in the business and has a great reputation over 20 years I've known him 1-800-762-8088 if he can't help you he'll know who can. If Fran isn't there his son's work in the business Jeff and Mike. Tell Fran I said hi!

Mike Weeks
20-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Ed,

I am probably one of the few Uk based photographers to have owned, demonstrated and used both the Mitsubishi CP3800 and the DNP DS80 - both are excellent machines and when setup correctly the standard of print is excellent.

I could send you samples from different machines and make what I want to appear to be the best, look the best. At a number of seminars we have laid out prints from a range of machines that have been setup correctly and there is no trend for which machine potential purchasers choose as the best print.

Of all the machines from all the manufacturers I have never heard of a reliability issue from either, both are simple to use and dependable.

I personally feel that because their design is so different to the majority of dye subs that losing the big heavy metal drum has the potential to stop some forms of wear. As common as the heritage is of the 2 machines they will not accept the media from the other to the best of my knowledge.

DNP was relatively unknown in the UK 18 months ago and has become extremely popular in a short time, whether the same will happen in the USA I cant predict but I repeat both are good machines.

Mike

Mark Amies
20-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Hello Ed

To be honest , the only real way of getting the info you want is to contact DNP and Mitsubishi's US offices, then you will get the names and contact details of the US distributors, that is usually how it works in any territory.

It is good to see te extra info you have provided, as it seems that what you are doing is more of a retail angle. I know that Mitsubishi are very hot on amusement parks, certainly in Europe , and would imagine in the US too. Both Mitsubishi and DNP are very pro-active Japanese companies with big resources behind them ( as too are Kodak, Fuji and Sony , naturally), and as sson as they realise the imprtance of what you are doing will all be very obliging I am sure.

Good luck.

ian griffiths
20-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Just thinking and I recall there was an independant service tech by the name of Dave Deerhake out of Pheonix, Az. He travelled all of the southern states and was part of a network of techs all manufacture trained guys, I don't have any contact details but I'm sure you could Google him, he'd know the best service guys in your area.

He is Kreonite, Refreema, Kodak, Hope, Fuji etc factory trained, and last time I spoke to him he'd done training on the Kodak dyesubs up at Rochester, NY.

See if you can contact him, he was always a font of knowledge.

Mark Amies
20-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Ian is a very useful person to know Ed.

I had alos thought it may be an idea to have a look at the American Society orf Event Photographers (SEP), if you haven't done already, Ian will know more than me about them.

ian griffiths
20-08-2010, 10:12 AM
aww shucks!

SEP is a great information resourse however to access it you would need to join, I do think it would be worth it for you to do so. Check out www.sepsociety.com (http://www.sepsociety.com)

I have been a member for a while and have to admitt I've not used it to its full potential, but now Mark has reminded me, Ive added it to my "To Do" list, more work!

Mark Amies
20-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Just think , one day the EPS might look like this!! Look at all those 'Platninum' Trade members - Ooooooooo

:-o

To quote David Bowie - "This is not America".

I'm getting all patriotic and British, and what a day to do it!, "Never in the field of human conflict................"

( Not David Bowie this time of course! :lol: )

ian griffiths
20-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Oi!! No need to point out my grey hair, platinum!

My favourite song of all time, Starman, by Bowie

Must go check out Grecian 2000