Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
UPS with 2kva generator [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : UPS with 2kva generator

Gareth_Stewart
16-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi I have read the thread on UPS systems but found that no one mentioned or recomended a online UPS bigger than 1Kva. By my calculations in order to run a computer, 2 printers, a viewing monitor and a few lights a 2Kva gen and UPS would be needed. Does anyone use one they would recomend and a supplier?

Thanks

Mark Ratcliffe
16-08-2010, 08:31 PM
i run a 2.8 kv genny,off this i run
via a std 2 way socket off genny
(A) pc/monitor plus 1 mitsi printer and protect these expensive bits via a 1kw ups,i think you would be able to run two printers via a 1kw,ups you may find a little drop in power,ie genny will up its output to meet demand, if both printers start to print at the same time as they do draw a bit of juice,my ups is a battery type that genny charges battery,inverter works of battery and converts back to 240v,so pc/monitors are working of 240v inverter power NOT direct from genny so if genny goes down power remains on for a period,as opposed to the ones that let the 240v run straight to pc/monitor,and battery only kicks in if 240v drops off(genny Stops)
i then run
(B) 3 wyse+3 monitors,thro a standard surge protector,wyse cost 10/15 quid of ebay,i bought 6 for 40 of graham via this site, 17 inch monitors cost 100 quid for 3 of ebay,so if one pops its not the end of the world,i always carry a spare monitor
as the genny is more at 2.8kv this is more than the juice i need it never gets stressed,so maintains a steady supply to the surge protected monitors etc,and also via ups to pc/printer,i would make sure you over egg the rating on your genny to 2.8 kv,you can get these off ebay for 169

This works for me,switch on genny for a few mins ,then start the pc/monitor,then the printers then the wyse then the screens,ie most power hungry first,then switch off in the same way,ie pc/monitors first
You could always purchase two psu,but remember they must be powered directly from generator,not via a surge socket,this is to do with the way they work,so im told

Jeremy Nako
16-08-2010, 09:14 PM
You dont need a UPS if your genny produces a clean power supply.

I use a 2kv Honda genny.

Our standard setup at tournaments is :

2 x server computers
2 x laptops
2 x monitors
2 x Mits 9810 printers
1 x Mits 3800 printer
1 x router
10 x viewing station monitors

My guestimate - from the tone of the genny engne - is that it works at around 1/3 power in standby, and no more than 2/3rds power when all printers are churning.

Paul Smith
16-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda eu26i runs

1 sever with screen
1 prod pc with screen
1 sony up-dr150 dye sub
1 32" tv - running slide show
internal trailer lighting approx 200w via down-lighters
11 viewing station pc's with screens
1 fridge
various battery chargers / phone chargers etc
6 network switches
1 wifi router

genny never comes off idle , the only thing it cant handle with all the above turned on is the a/c unit but that alone is 2kva :)

Some internal sockets wired to a leisure battery via 1000w inverter so I can run the fridge and the telly without the genny running

andycampbell
16-08-2010, 11:47 PM
kipor 2600 runs approx 8 hours on one tank in the economy mode (for want of better expression)

3 dell optiplex
3 monitors
2 mitsi 9800's
lap top
POE for wireless
network switch

genny barely coughs when printing :-)

Gareth_Stewart
18-08-2010, 11:17 AM
So is no-one running a 2kva or bigger directly to a UPS then powering everything?

Has anyone experienced a power cut when printing with the DS40 or similar? Did it cause any damage to the printer or is it just my computer i need to protect from power outage?

ian griffiths
18-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Gareth,

Got your call, will phone you shortly.

We've never used UPS, never had the need, the important thing to do is buy a generator that won't have to work hard, I would suggest something 2KVa or bigger.

What you don't want is the engine tone to change, in other words not to stress it. When the engine changes speed this alters the power output from the altenator, if it slows, the power drops if it speeds up the power increases.

In 10 years never had a problem and there are now 42 of us.

Nick Gaylor
18-08-2010, 08:07 PM
As i have said in a previous thread am now getting a 40% grant towards any additional equipment, i was thinking about getting a portable battery supply capable of powering some elinchrom up to 4 rx 600's, the money that elinchrom are asking is just silly does anyone know of a different supplier or is a generator a sensible alternative, considering I work in school environments, if so what sort of generator would handle high output lights.

nik

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
20-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Does one require a UPS with a Honda eu20i?

Just found out that we have 3 at work, and the bloke who deals with them has agreed to let me use one as and when required! result!!

Alan Warner
20-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi Scott,

The Honda EU20i does not require UPS to smooth the Juice !

in fact reviews often intimate that the juice is actually purer than that of the National Grid...

I run 3 PC's 3x DNP's + Monitors & CC machine and it does'nt break sweat !

Al'

Jeremy Nako
20-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Yup.. I find myself in rare agreement with Alan. :lol:

It's the Rolls Royce of gennies. Hey.. I've got a roller !!

petethorp
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I missed this thread the first time round...
I'm waiting to hear on a Honda 2.0i - in the meanwhile, I understand (limited) the UPS / inverter principles. Surely the point of a UPS is that you can power down the genny to fuel it without the need to switch everything off...

Or have I got that wrong?