Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Good 10x8/12x8 dyesub for Mac? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Good 10x8/12x8 dyesub for Mac?

LeeProctor
10-08-2010, 07:19 AM
I need to replace my Olmec OP800 that currently only supports printing from Winblows. It slows my printing down by having to manage 2 machines. It means extra hardware required etc and having talked to my business partner, we've decided its time to move on.

We've only had it for 2 rolls worth of prints - love the speed and quietness of it, just not the driver compatibility!

What do you recommend? I already run an ASK-2000 and had considered the 4000, but the price was off-putting the last time I enquired!

Mac McBride
10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi Lee,

Mac here...!!

You can just install Parallels or vmware fusion onto your Mac, then set the folders to sync so your exports appear in a folder on the "windows box" then print from the vm you can just attach the usb device to the vm.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with it...!

Mac

simon coates
10-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I drive a Mitsubishi CP3800 from my Mac with excellent results. It is small, moderately light and reasonably speedy.

Simon

Mike Weeks
10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Lee,

DNP DS80 is the same as the Mitsy CP3800 and cheaper to own and run. Had one for over a year and runs like a dream.

Mike

antonydecsernatony
10-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I am coming to the studio today .. I will bring my mitsi 3800 and you can borrow it for a few days and see what you think ..

Stuart Morley
10-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Lee,

DNP DS80 is the same as the Mitsy CP3800 and cheaper to own and run. Had one for over a year and runs like a dream.

Mike

Mike, The CP3800DW is NOT the same as the DNP

It may *LOOK* like a CP3800DW but....

CP3800DW media won't work with it (and the same the other way as well)

Support from a Uk Manufacturer

It won't work with a Click System unlike the CP3800DW.

Functionality may be different as drivers will be written by the Manufacturers can vary.

Looks slightly different and spares may not be interchangable.

Warranty may be different (CP3800DW is two years)

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

simon coates
10-08-2010, 08:58 AM

Really? I hadn't realised that Mitsubishi manufactured the printers in the UK. Since when?

I was under the impression that the CP3800 was designed by Mitsubishi, DNP and Citizen, with them actually being manufactured by Citizen.

Mind you, that's besides the point. As far as the OP is concerned, there is no significant difference between the DNP and the Mitsubishi - they look the same, the result is the same. Since the OP wants to use it with a Mac, the fact that the DNP won't work with the Click is irrelevant.

Simon

john christopher
10-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Stu

You're right AND you're wrong. Yes the CP3800 and the DNP 80 (even though they have been manufactured by the same people, Citizen), are not strictly (in the sense of the word) the same machine.

BUT

I think if you go back to the original question, ( a good 10x8/12x8 dyesub for a Mac) and the end product, then the two machines might as well be. I know, I brought Mike's old 3800 and had it setup on a MAC right next door to a DNP 80 and the two produced exactly the same quality of print. Alas, as Mike's already mentioned the Mits was more expensive doing it!

LeeProctor
10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the great replies so far :)

Mac, I didn't want to do down the route of vm/parallels. It's just pasting over a problem which needs rectifying. I'd rather sell the 800 and get a device which can be just plugged in and work. My plan is to train someone up whereby they will run the printing side at events for me, which allows me to concentrate on other things. Adding complications will just hinder things.

Antony - what time are you popping in today?

Stuart Morley
10-08-2010, 09:14 AM

Really? I hadn't realised that Mitsubishi manufactured the printers in the UK. Since when?

I was under the impression that the CP3800 was designed by Mitsubishi, DNP and Citizen, with them actually being manufactured by Citizen.

Mind you, that's besides the point. As far as the OP is concerned, there is no significant difference between the DNP and the Mitsubishi - they look the same, the result is the same. Since the OP wants to use it with a Mac, the fact that the DNP won't work with the Click is irrelevant.

Simon

No you are quite correct Mitsubishi do not manufacturer them in the Uk. I maybe should have said...."The Manufacturer is based in the Uk" - I hope that clears it up for you.. :D

My point Simon was that they are not the same and they are not. Simple fact. They are how ever similar that is not the same thing of course.

The point that the DNP won't work with a Click is not necessarily irrelevant unless the OP said...and I don't ever want to use them with a Click and all other people who read this thread don't want to as well.

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simon coates
10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
The point that the DNP won't work with a Click is not necessarily irrelevant unless the OP said...and I don't ever want to use them with a Click and all other people who read this thread don't want to as well.

The original poster also didn't say "and I don't ever want them with a Sinclair ZX81", but you don't mention the compatibility there... :puter: :rofl:

Simon

Stuart Morley
10-08-2010, 09:29 AM

The original poster also didn't say "and I don't ever want them with a Sinclair ZX81", but you don't mention the compatibility there... :puter: :rofl:

Simon

I don't think people would want to use it with a ZX81 to be honest, but a lot of people migrate from PC to Mac.

Saying that something is the same when it is not is misleading IMHO.

So.....

The DNP doesn't use the same media, doesn't have the same warranty, doesn't have a Uk based manuafcturer, doesn't look identical, doesn't use all the same parts and doesn't work with a Click but is the SAME... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There's never a DNP saleman around when you need one...

Stu

Mark Amies
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Blimey...............I was away in France, ( Paris) for a few days, so was quite intrigued to see this posting develop.

As a salesman for Photomart, the UK distributor for DNP, but we also act as a distributor for Mitsubishi, so I need to be failry diplomatic. This forum has seen discussions about DNP v Mitsubishi before, and I don't think we have to labour it.

There are pluses and minusses to each machine, they do it the same way ,and there are very big similarities with the machine inside the metal casing.

Mark Amies
11-08-2010, 11:08 AM
The differences between the machines are marginal. They both weigh the same, they both have the same roll capacity, I would imagine that once the casing comes off you will be looking at the same guts.

The big difference will be the front end treatment, the fascia panel, the media packs, and as Stuart has already said the CP3800 will work with Click and will have a 2 year warranty.

DNP has got a cost adavantage at present.

It really is not a big deal.

Ray Jordan
11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
The big difference will be the front end treatment, the fascia panel, the media packs, and as staurt has aleady said the CP3800 will work with Click and will have a 2 year warranty.

... and most importantly to us, the end user, drivers, and driver functionality.

Mark Amies
11-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Well, both printers will have drivers for most aplications, including Windows 7 , and Mac.
Both machines wil perform their task admirably.

Stuart Morley
11-08-2010, 01:18 PM
On the request of a moderator I have removed my response to Mark post and I see Mark has done the same.

We were asked to remove it, as it was off topic for the record.

Stu

Mark Amies
11-08-2010, 01:28 PM
SELF EDITED - 2.45 PM 11/08/10

Yes , should have mentioned this, as to why I edited mine. It was getting daft, and it is too easy to go off in a tangent.

So I hope that we have managed to answer the queries between us.

Of course one thing that should be said about both machines as opposed to any other make of machine is it's overall lightness ( 14kgs).

Stuart Morley
11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes spot on Mark

I did a job recently where I took Two CP3800DW's in flightcases into a job and carried one in each hand.

This is testament to this type of printer and the fact that they are lightweight especially when compared to other 12x8/10x8 printers.

Stu

Mark Amies
11-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes spot on Mark

I did a job recently where I took Two CP3800DW's in flightcases into a job and carried one in each hand.

This is testament to this type of printer and the fact that they are lightweight especially when compared to other 12x8/10x8 printers.

Stu

The flightcases were on wheels I take it Stuart?

Stuart Morley
11-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Of course not.....I carried them the 10yds on my own.... :D

Stu

Mark Amies
11-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Two 14kg printers on your own - way to go!! ;-)

john christopher
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Today I was in Photomart and checked out the Sony UP-DR80. Why does no one ever talk about this printer? The only bad thing about it was the amount of plastic on show. Horses for courses I suppose.

Steph

Mark Amies
06-10-2010, 05:07 PM
It could be down to it's cost against it's competition John , for the machine and the media, and it's prints per roll is lower too.

Other than that it is not a bad printer.