Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Best cost effective printer for Proofing 'ADVICE PLEASE' [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Best cost effective printer for Proofing 'ADVICE PLEASE'

Alan Warner
09-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Inkjet or Laser ?

Genuine, Clone cartriges or CIS ?

std paper or cheap photo paper

A3 or A4

Regards
Al'

Alan Warner
12-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Ok Ill rephrase

What are others using to proof !

Regards
Alan

Graham Gott
12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I'll answer you Alan. :)

I use viewing stations now but I used to proof with an inkjet. I used the Canon S9000 printing on to A3 plain copier paper. This was just for equestrian proofs, for better quality where detail mattered I used a higher quality inkjet paper. I also used compatible inks although I had to be careful which ones I bought as there were some dodgy ones out there at the time which ended up leaking in the hot weather. The Canon S9000 had a removable head and I carried spares, one of which had genuine inks in as a backup. I could knock a sheet of A3 proofs out in less than a minute and served me well for many years.

I still have it in the loft if you want to give it a try... ;)

simon coates
12-06-2009, 08:09 AM
What are others using to proof !

Hi Alan,

Since it appears you are talking to yourself, I thought I'd pipe-up!

I don't print proofs at the events I cover - all of the clients view their images on screen and we only print those that are being paid for.

Back at base I have an Epson R2400 which I've found to be an excellent printer. The only down-side is the cost of the original inks. To combat this, two years ago I bought a CIS for it from Permajet and I cannot recommend it highly enough! It really has been a very cost effective and reliable solution.

Having said that, I am not so sure that I'd want to cart it around to different events. Indeed, I don't think that I've moved the printer since I fitted the kit to it. I know that each of the tubes have a clamp between the ink bottles and the printer head, but I would still worry about leakage. Each of the bottles holds a fair amount of ink, which really would make a mess if they spilt......

Simon

Andy Starkey
12-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Alan,

For those events that I print proofs for I use a Dell 1320cn laser. It's pretty cheap to buy, blindingly fast ( i think it does about 8ppm in colour) and the quality of the proofs is excellent. At my last footy event one chap said that the 'proof sheets where much better than the last lot, makes it easy to find my lad'.

The downside is a full set of genuine dell toners is about £140. Officially a full set will run to 2000pages but I find they are good for about 600-800 pages of a4 in glorious colour printing 4x4 or 4x5 contacts to a sheet at 300dpi. I've yet to try non genuine toner but will the next time I replace them. You can make them last longer by printing at a lower resolution, but I choose not to.

Additionally if you get the CN as I have it's networkable (in fact the C is but you have to buy the network key which sits in the back.

The footprint isn't small but isn't huge either.

Andy
http://www.infiniteimages.co.uk

Peter Martin-Turner
12-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I have used an Oki 3300n a couple of times recently, colour laser. Same experience here, where the cartridges do not provide the expected capacity of A4 Prints.

As the discussion has now incorporated contact sheets, any recommendations for programs to print contact sheets and how many images you would want per A4 page? Or a min-max range perhaps? Obviously you need to be able to include the image number and the folder title as a banner headline. I can't find any way in Picasa to change the amount of images per page when choosing the print contact sheet option.

Graham Gott
12-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I used to use ACDSee Classic to print but it's a bit dated now and the later versions are just too bloated for doing things quickly. I've been using XnView for a while now and have noticed very strong similarities with the ACDSee classic. I just fired it up and yes, it will print thumbnails along with all manner of info for each frame along with page headers & footers. If it's anything like the rest of the program it will be lightning fast.

Hope this helps...
Graham

Peter Martin-Turner
12-06-2009, 01:25 PM
thanks Graham, it does indeed help, looks like a very useful program

ian griffiths
12-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Are either of you running your lasers from a generator?

Reason I ask is I've wanted to switch but looking at the tech spec most appear to draw between 1.5Kw and 2.3Kw during printing or have you found low wattage printers? I could beef up the generator but it adds so much more weight.

Peter Martin-Turner
12-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Interesting point you make there Ian. Yes I was using the Oki Laser last weekend on my Kipor 2kva generator.

http://www.outdoorbits.com/kipor-ig2000 ... p-931.html (http://www.outdoorbits.com/kipor-ig2000-generator-p-931.html)

It was labouring at times with what I thought was a reasonable load. 2 x desktops, I laptop, 4 external 19in screens, 2 Olmecs plus an older 12x8 Mitsi printer.
Although it coped, I did feel that times there were odd events that I can only only put down to power fluctuations. Also printing contact sheets at times was pedestrian from a Dell Precision 3ghz machine with 3gb ram, much to my annoyance. Could this be affected or slowed by insufficient power?

I have a Honda EU20 genny which is not wired for my new trailer, which I suspect would have coped better despite nominally the same performance as advertised.

ian griffiths
12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
What sort of "odd events" do you mean? I presume you are referring to equipment malfunctions rather than attending odd events?

Peter Martin-Turner
12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Yes random technical glitches. I'm not sure a football tournament is that odd in the scheme of things... For example my Olmec's are shared so that any computer connected to the network can print to them, suddenly started printing out blank prints when a job is sent to them. Machines losing connectivity to router. USB devices unrecognised. My network is all XP Pro so general Vista gremlins is not part of this equation.

I checked the spec for the Oki laser I have, this should only draw 400w when operational, 14w in sleep mode.

Duncan Harris
12-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Are either of you running your lasers from a generator?

Reason I ask is I've wanted to switch but looking at the tech spec most appear to draw between 1.5Kw and 2.3Kw during printing or have you found low wattage printers? I could beef up the generator but it adds so much more weight.

Hi Ian

Last year I changed to using a Samsung CLP-510. No problems with the stephill generator (you know the one I had). Two comments a) that printer is very very heavy (I chose it as recommended to me by another event photographer that had been using one for years and b) don't leave paper in van, if it gets damp toner doesn't stick on paper and it all gets a bit messy :(

ian griffiths
12-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey Duncan, how are you?

Thanks for that info, I just looked at a few more including the Samsung and they all appear to have this caviat of "Peak power" requirement some topping 2.1Kw.

I guess what I need to find out is when does this "Peak" occur?

We did try a Xerox machine had an awesome "Page Pack" deal where you paid about £35 a month and they supplied you with all the toner and an onsite service back-up anywhere in the country, this I felt would be great for us but when we tested it two things became apparent:
1) The generator (2.7Kva) struggled when you hit print for the duration of the process.
2) The print speed was no better than our Epson ink-jet. (My only reason for looking is to improve print speed)
Now I guess there must be machine sthat operate on lower power requirements but it seem quite difficult to get to the real power figures, they all like to blag "300w in normal use" but I think this is in standby mode, not print?

If anyone can enlighten?

Alan Warner
13-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the replys,

We have at present in the office a Samsung CLP500 (great proofs but too heavy to be portable)

We also have an ageing Epson R200 with CIS but really has been hammered and is now ready for replacement...

so was really wondering what to replace with with possibly a Canon or Epson printer with CIS or compatible carts.

my two thoughts on the Generator situation

we have an ultraquiet Honda EU20 that is attatched to a sizable professional UPS of which everything goes through this deals with Two Mitsi CP9800's & Dell Optiplex SFF & Dell 2 19" monitors we occasionally add a CP3020 without issue...

On buying the Honda i was aware of the fact that its clean quiet safe but also the cost and upgrade path (just add another E20 to double output).

after having a chat with ian at one of his recent events ive just ordered the LPG adaptor kit to compily with some local authorities.

Al'

ian griffiths
13-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi Al,

Its always important to compily!

Sitting at a very quiet football tournament in Chester, but its nearly all U'7s and 8's and the grannies and grandads have come to play, I love that grey pound!

Alan Warner
14-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi Ian

Hope its not raining again for you i've escaped the with some low key PR work this week.

I Agree

It does prevent every 'tom, dick and harry' with his B&Q Gazebo, inkjet and his 1.0 Nissan micra spoiling it for Pros else the following year......

eh!

james spawforth
20-06-2009, 09:14 PM
How do people actually 'proof' their prints at a large event, we have always printed on demand or printed all the images 6x8 on a Fuji ASK2000, we usually sell at least half.
We have a large football event coming up and was wondering about printing thumbnails out instead, but how do you do it and what system do you use to catagorise the players, for when they re-order them.
Any help would be very very useful please as we are fairly new to this type of event.
Thanks.