Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DS40 & DS80 Print catcher [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DS40 & DS80 Print catcher

Trudy Trafford
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
From another thread -

As I think I said, anyone with the machines who would like to see sopmething better, ot have some ideas on the perfect catcher, please drop me an email.

Mark,

Seriously I think the way the catcher that comes with the DS40 fits to the printer is fine, but it needs to stretch out with sides so that it can stack prints flat on top of each other like an up turned box lid. Ideally the underside of the catcher should be no lower than the bottom of the printer so it can stand on a flat surface like a table and doesn't have to over hang and risk getting knocked off and damaged.

If the catcher was big enough to hold the maximum print size for these printers i.e. 12x8 it could be used for either the DS40 or DS80 rather than having two versions. I'm sure most owners of these printers would welcome such an accessory. We certainly would!!!

:diff:

john wright
06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I would like a better print catcher too. One lasted one event before getting binned (the catch broke off). No good as a print catcher if it has no catch :D

I have purchased a metal mesh filing tray from Tesco. This slides under the printer and does the job very well. The open end is just slightly wider than a DS40/80 and slides under the front feet of the printer. The tray is deep enough to still open the media drawer without removing the catcher first. It is big enough to catch the output from two stacked printers. 6 from Tesco.

John

Alan Warner
06-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Not bothered taking print catcher out ever !

Al'

Mark Amies
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I would like a better print catcher too. One lasted one event before getting binned (the catch broke off). No good as a print catcher if it has no catch :D

I have purchased a metal mesh filing tray from Tesco. This slides under the printer and does the job very well. The open end is just slightly wider than a DS40/80 and slides under the front feet of the printer. The tray is deep enough to still open the media drawer without removing the catcher first. It is big enough to catch the output from two stacked printers. 6 from Tesco.

John

Bonzer! As a solution that takes some beating - care to show us an image John? Given the fact you have announced how to do it , there will be little point in selling the item at this end. :cry:

john wright
06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Anything for you Mark :D

A couple of quick snaps.

http://www.8by10.co.uk/miscimage/IMG_2482.jpg

http://www.8by10.co.uk/miscimage/IMG_2485.jpg
John

john christopher
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
What a cracking solution! What's more, the Tesco solution looks like it's been designed from the off to be used with the DS40/80. I hope it looks as good with my Mits CP38000DW. Every little helps!

PS: John, do I detect a UPS? Pray tell!

Trudy Trafford
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Top catching!!!

Now where's my tesco club points...? :D :D :D

RobMarsh
06-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Must admit, I have tended to use the wife as the print catcher
Both Mike W and Alan W can vouch that she is teachable and can do the job

:rofl:

john wright
06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi John

yes - UPS is Trust 1000VA unit. Main PC and one screen connected to it. Printers are powered by a noise suppressed mains splitter. Theory is that in the event of a mains failure that the key unit is still functional and can be closed down properly. It got a serious testing last xmas when, for a period, the mains was failing about 3 times a day on site. Did not lose a single image or suffer any data corruption. It paid for itself over and over in those 5 weeks.

John

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
10-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Update-- ds40 print catcher now 3 in tescos!! Be quick!

john christopher
12-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Does the DS-40 come with a print catcher? Mine is missing both it's catcher and a USB printer cable.

Call to PM, me thinks!

Steph

Alan Warner
12-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Yes does come with a catcher (your not missing a lot)

No USB cables as std

the Tesco's A4 paper tray print catcher idea mentioned on here a few months ago works well...

Al'

Brenda Rogers
12-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Does the DS-40 come with a print catcher? Mine is missing both it's catcher and a USB printer cable.

Call to PM, me thinks!

Steph

I had to purchase the USB printer cable with the DS80, and it looks like Tescos for the catcher!

Brenda

john christopher
12-10-2010, 08:07 PM
I brought the TESCO DNP printer catcher for my Mits 3800 and it went together like peaches and cream. The best 6 I've ever spent. Shame the school term has just started as my local Tesco has been out of them for at least the last three weeks.

Steph

Mark Amies
13-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Re the USB cable - there are very few printers that come with these as standard.

The print catcher- well I do feed stuff like this back. Again not many printers come with them as standard ( JC - You have been spoilt with the Fuji/Copal printers that always did).

The main and biggest market for this typoe of printer , or any 6x9/8 dye sub is the retail photo kiosk or dry lab market, and the printers go into a meatl cabinet , with catch trays mounted into the doors.