Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
9x6 inch media [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 9x6 inch media

David_Rose
21-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Have an event coming up, but struggling to get any 9x6" media for a Hiti P710L, in time.
If anyone has some I can buy, or knows where I can get some, then it would be much appreciated. Give me a call on 07919 662919 if you can help.

Mike Weeks
22-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Contact the Event Photographer Society - Anonymous(Anonymous)
-----------------------------------------------

Name: Tim Burden
Email: tburden626@aol.com
Subject: Hiti P710L:
Telephone: 07748900363

I'm hoping you might be able to help. I own a Hiti P710L printer and cannot get the 9X6 media from SI or Photomart in time for an event. Wondered if you knew any other events photographers that might have the same model?

regards

Tim

RobMarsh
22-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Not sure where either of the two posters are based, but if it helps, I use a Mitsi on 9x6 and would happily come along and assist you if local to me

Andy Starkey
06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Sadly this is likely to be on of my last posts for a number of reasons that I will not go into. I may have sourced some 9x6 media for the P710L (am awaiting final confirmation that it is in stock and not just a figment of their or my imagination). It is however not particularly cheap but may tide you over until such time as Shinko or whoever produce some or a firmware update allows use of other media.

PM or email me if interested and I'll respond when I get confirmation of stock levels.

Please note, I am sure I could, if I wanted too, turn a profit on this by buying up their remaining stock and passing it on. If there is actual stock and someone is interested then it will be passed on at cost and not at personal profit to myself.

regards

Andy

Amanda Wigmore
07-08-2010, 09:42 AM
What's the problem with getting the media?? Are HiTi having problems?? If so it's not a good advert for buying their printers...
x

Mike Weeks
07-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Amanda there appears to be a general problem with this type of Shinko based machine - they certainly have not been helpful with media for the Olmec.
Mike

Stuart Morley
07-08-2010, 05:50 PM
What's the problem with getting the media?? Are HiTi having problems?? If so it's not a good advert for buying their printers...
x

Mike is dead right, the issue is with Shinko who have been having supply issues since the beginning of 2009. HiTi weren't affected up until recently as they had very large stocks of media but if Shinko weren't then shipping media to HiTi then it was only a matter of time. As mentioned other manufacturers who supplied a similair printer may be affected so the P710L isn't the only printer affected (although it is the only HiTi model that is)

For the record, HiTi make all their own media and the P710L was the only printer that was affected. We have been dealing with them for many years now and this is the first issue like this of it's kind.

Media for all other HiTi printers (even the 600 series which was discontinued about 4 years ago) is available from stock.

I have mentioned before that we stand by the product and will offer upgrades to any of our customers who have P710's. This is not something we are obliged to do, but offer it in order to help and support our customers.

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

Amanda Wigmore
08-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I have mentioned before that we stand by the product and will offer upgrades to any of our customers who have P710's. This is not something we are obliged to do, but offer it in order to help and support our customers.
Stu
http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No problems with your committment/help/service etc. Having used SI I know how helpful you are. But, I think that having to upgrade because we can't get media is a bit of a poor situation. Not your fault I know. At the moment, I have a 710 printer with only around 150 prints left in it and after that possibly no way of using it... Upgrading is an expensive way of having a spare..... Oh, and it's a great printer!
x

Andy Starkey
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi, quick update.

Sorry peeps, I have blagged their last box of media but they tell me that they have a confirmed delivery of new stock of Sep 12th. Perhaps Stu or Mark have had a similar promise.

Regards

Andy Starkey
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi,

update 2, the supplier I've ordered from has pulled a blinder and found someone else with stock. They have confirmed to me via email that they have 5 boxes of 6x9 in stock. I'm awaiting a price.

regards

Amanda Wigmore
19-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Is this media available again yet???
If not, does anyone know what the situation with it will be???
x

Stuart Morley
19-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Amanda

Current situation for P710L is 6x4 media in stock, 7x5 media now out of stock but due in the end of next week, 9x6 no further news.

Our upgrade to a P710L to a P510S is still available for our customers with a working P710L - Contact me on 01329-835500 if this is of interest.

To avoid confusion I will repeat that this issue is only affecting the P710L from HiTi and NO OTHER Models, this is due to supply issues from Shinko (in Europe). HiTi manufacturer all there own media for all other printers so all other models are not affected.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Mark Amies
19-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Photomart have a small amount of 7x5 P710L media in stock, as well as 6x4 , but no 6x9"

Amanda Wigmore
19-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Not your fault at all Stu, but, I feel that a full refund from the manufacturer would be more appropriate as they've supplied a machine to the market which is, at the moment, and for the foreseeable future, a heavy empty box. Anyone working with just this machine would be in all sorts of trouble at the moment.

Despite the fact it does not affect their other models, it should and possibly does, reflect badly on the manufacturer.

Can I immediately say, before anyone suggests otherwise, that I distance Stu and SI from anything negative in this post. I have always found them to be most helpful.

x

Stuart Morley
19-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Amanda

Firstly, I don't take any of your comments regarding this as negative towards either myself or SI. - Thanks for clarifying this though.. :-)

I think in an ideal world this would happen, but in all fairness to HiTi they had no idea of the problems Shinko would give them. how it would end up.

I know that is a real pain but at least there is a solution. I think we are unique in offering this.

The P510 is a great printer which has lots of features that most other dye subs just can't offer, overlayed templates, stand alone operation, shooting wirelessly into the printer! ability to use stand alone for passport and ID, 2x6x4's from a single 6x8/9, inbuilt print count by size (password protected) even being able to hard code the profile!

I had a guy in a few days ago, who was hesitant about upgrading his P710L to a 510S but after he had seen the P510S running he was over the moon and would have chosen the P510 over the P710, he also liked the P510 as it was a lot lighter as well.

As he was so happy and had a lot of concerns about upgrading I took the time to capture a few of his comments. You can view this comments below if that helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0AlFKoB ... r_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0AlFKoBP3k&feature=player_embedded)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amanda Wigmore
19-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Amanda

Firstly, I don't take any of your comments regarding this as negative towards either myself or SI. - Thanks for clarifying this though.. :-)

I think in an ideal world this would happen, but in all fairness to HiTi they had no idea of the problems Shinko would give them. how it would end up.

I know that is a real pain but at least there is a solution. I think we are unique in offering this.

The P510 is a great printer which has lots of features that most other dye subs just can't offer, overlayed templates, stand alone operation, shooting wirelessly into the printer! ability to use stand alone for passport and ID, 2x6x4's from a single 6x8/9, inbuilt print count by size (password protected) even being able to hard code the profile!

I had a guy in a few days ago, who was hesitant about upgrading his P710L to a 510S but after he had seen the P510S running he was over the moon and would have chosen the P510 over the P710, he also liked the P510 as it was a lot lighter as well.

As he was so happy and had a lot of concerns about upgrading I took the time to capture a few of his comments. You can view this comments below if that helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0AlFKoB ... r_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0AlFKoBP3k&feature=player_embedded)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fully appreciate all that you've said but, it would cost me money to do which I really shouldn't need to spend, plus put money back towards a manufacturer who I feel has shafted me royally.
Surely you can appreciate this?? I spent a reasonable amount of money on the 710 and then after not very long to be told there's no media and you'll need to upgrade seems pretty poor.

As I said. Not your fault but an awful position for the manufacturers to put you in.

I wholeheartedly recommended this machine, until now....

x

Andy Starkey
19-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I have avoided posting on EPS for a number of reasons but as I started this thread I will add my response.

firstly - Media. I have ordered what I believe is likely to be the remaining 5 packs of 9x6 media from a non UK company. while I have had to pay nearly double the original media price and have still to be possibly stung by import duty when it actually turns up as I said I will be willing to share this amongst those 710L users at cost with no profit to myself.

Having discussed at length with the company they assure me that Shinko are going to start shipping media from the middle of September, as I posted previously and asked for a response from our trade partners at SI and PM, to which I don't believe they ever responded to.

My view is if Shinko do not start to ship media soon I will be left with a piece of equipment which I am unable to use for it's original purpose and will be seeking redress in whichever way I can. This point is not aimed or intended to reflect on miss selling in anyway from the company I purchased it from but merely reflect my position as a business having procured equipment which is evidently not fit for purpose. Should I already have been or would be offered an alternative product as replacement I would consider this in respect of my business, it's workflow and throughput and the suitability of any replacement offered to fit this having very carefully considered the original purchase in the first place.

At this time if I have or should I have been offered a 510 as a replacement I would not consider this a suitable substitute for my up to now excellent, fast, reliable and custom flight cased P710L.

As an aside - Thanks to Mac for sending the unused media back to me that I sent him previously and Mac if you've still got the 710 when I get the media you get first dibs. Everyone else join the queue.

Regards

Andy

Stuart Morley
20-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Hi Andy

Firstly, Sorry for not replying to you. I was in fact under the impression that I was awaiting a reply from you. My P.M. of 6th August having remained unanswered. - Technology eh?

My PM Read (in case you didn't get it)

"Hi Andy

I would be interested to know where you managed to get some media from so that I can help others

Kind regards

Stu"

If you have a source of media then why not publish the details in open forum so that other users can get supplies? It would give users another option and we all need to help each other here. I know that you have kindly offered to supply other users and that is great - Thanks

I have no problem in facilitating media from overseas if I know where to get it and then passing it on to other P710 users at cost so that they may continue to use their printers. If we were to get the media in from outside the Uk then it would save UK users the hassles of having to do this albeit at a higher price.

We have done this before with Citizen Media where we absorbed the higher cost price after ICI pulled out of the market and we sold the media at cost (or very near) to support our customers.

Please be aware that NON-EU media will not work in the printer, so media from Asia or the USA will not work. :(

I have tried to come up with a solution for this problem which whilst may not suit everyone is a solution, most (6x9) P710 users have gone down this route and I believe are happy with the replacement product they have, but I understand that may not be acceptable to everyone. 7x5 or 6x4 customers (as Mark mentions) can still obtain supplies.

As mentioned before we have no legal requirement to do anything, (even as retailers) but as my customers will know I will always try and do my best to help them with whatever issues they face. I can't guarantee to give everyone the solution they would like but will try and do whatever I can.

Hopefully Shinko will start to supply the media, or media will be available from overseas and this problem will disappear.

If media starts to become available soon then I will gladly swap back customers P710L's - if I still have them here - which I do at the moment :(

Kind Regards

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

p.s. Ed, your not the only one working at 4am in the morning!