Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Eye-Fi x2 card wont format in a 5DII [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Eye-Fi x2 card wont format in a 5DII

Gareth Cooper
29-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I've just picked up a Eye-Fi x2 card with a CF adaptor...loaded the software...updated the firmware....popped the card into my camera and the camera displays a CF ERR message. It says that this card needs to be formatted. I try to format it with the camera and it fails.

Any ideas? There seems to be a number of users on their forums with the same issue but no answers.

Regards,

Gareth Cooper

john christopher
29-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Your camera might need a firmware upgrade for the formatting of the card to fully kick in. Another trick is to try and format the card in another camera (but of the same make) which has a native SD interface. Otherwise it's a quick e-mail to the boys and girls at Eye Fi USA.

John_Blythe
30-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Gareth

According to the Eye-Fi support forum, none of the X2 cards will work in Canon cameras without a dedicated SD slot. However, the non X2 cards should work with a SDHC CF adapter, although they are not supported used this way. This limits us Canon users to the 4GB Pro card at best for now.

I can't find a link the forum post I read that on but it's in the Eye-Fi forum somewhere. There are also posts of other 5D MkII users having the same problem so it's not just you.

For more info the forum link is here http://forums.eye.fi/viewforum.php?f=8

John_Blythe
30-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Also here is a link to a useful post about how to strip down a SDHC CF card adapter to improve transmission range.

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1777

Alan Warner
30-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Well spotted John,

Is documented elsewhere but nothing speaks louder than the photos !

Al'

andrew waring
31-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Gareth,
not sure if this will work, but when I got my first eye-fi card I had the same problem in my camera, I put the card into a different camera and formatted it, then put it back to the original one and it worked fine ever since. Don't know if that'll work with the x2 one, but worth a try, just format it in another camera first ???

Gareth Cooper
01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi Gareth,
not sure if this will work, but when I got my first eye-fi card I had the same problem in my camera, I put the card into a different camera and formatted it, then put it back to the original one and it worked fine ever since. Don't know if that'll work with the x2 one, but worth a try, just format it in another camera first ???

Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply.

I have tried it in both my 5DII's and my 7D....no luck. This card isn't compatible with the new Canon cameras. I'm thinking of returning this card for a refund and looking at other wireless options.

john christopher
01-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Gareth

You're not listening! Find someone with a 1d or a G7 and format your card using the camera's SD slot. Any Canon camera will do as long as it has a SD interface. Whichever camera you use make sure it's been updated with the latest Canon firmware. Also it could be a good idea to check if Eye Fi themselves have released any firmware updates for your card. If this fails to do the trick, then (and ONLY then) should you return your Eye Fi card back from whence it came.

Gareth Cooper
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
OK...called a friend who brought over their G7, patched the current firmware and formatted the card. Still no jive....

john christopher
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Then you follow through my boy and keep my 2nd piece of advice. New technology! It sucks!

John_Blythe
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Gareth

I received my 4GB Pro Eye Fi Card today and after a little fiddling and stripping down a SDHC adapter card I have it working nicely in mt canon 5D. This card should work fine in the 5D MKII just as well.