PDA

View Full Version : EPS training

Mike Weeks
28-05-2009, 01:53 PM
I sent out the email earlier and think that this probably needs a place to be discussed;

there is the possibility to hold a day and a half or a 2 day intensive workflow training event in the third or fourth week of july, most likely spread across a wednesday and a thursday. (Dates may be changed to suit the level of interest) We are also looking at a live event if one can be found that fits in the time frame

Location is not confirmed but is most likely to be north of London (we are awaiting quotes) This will look at everything from start to finish of an event (from initial setup of the event to printing the last print and capturing the data about what you have actually done during the event) and how to best utilise the equipment that you have.

Subjects that will hopefully be covered but not limited to,

Profiles and white balance
Wireless
Image Organisation
Contact Prints
Viewing Systems
Payment Systems
Business & Marketing

The intention is to have as many different items of equipment as possible in combination with different software systems so that you can see the comparative merits.

What we are looking for is the level of interest and what subjects that are not included that you would like to see added where possible. Obviously interest is going to be affected by cost and the intention is to keep this below £100 per day (so £150 for the day and a half) and hopefully a lot lower. If we can arrange a local hotel that will do a deal then there is the possibility to have a bit of a social on the evening.

This should be unlike any other event photography seminar or training and until we know the level of interest to see if it is possible dont cancel or decide not to attend any upcoming events. This will be intense and is not suitable for anybody that has no knowledge of events or photography but a good background in one of them should help.

So what dou you want covered?

Mike

gary evans
28-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Good idea - count me in if I'm not working. or in Spain. 8-) 8-) 8-)

I dont have any preference as to what would be covered, but do wonder are you aiming at the social (prom) market as this can be replicated indoors whereas obviously a football tournament cant.

Is it too late to add an "prom" or "sports/equestrian" poll?

Intense or not, it would be a great chance to meet up and put faces to names.

Norf of London is cool - but not in Derby ;)

Mike Weeks
28-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Gary,

if a live event can be arranged it will most likely be of an indoor variety but the the workflows etc. should allow those attending to tackle a wide variety of jobs. The important thing is that people should come with an open mind and see what other ways there are of working. The idea though is not so much to tackle the photographic skills required however if the chance is available to try something different we will arrange it.

Mike

gary evans
28-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Cheers Mike, still seems a good idea to me.

dave carter
29-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Sounds like a good chance to put faces to names!

A wi-fi clinic could keep you busy all day, Mike! Can I be first? When will the manufacturers realise we don't all have degrees in IT, or the time (and hair remaining to pull out!) to sort the setting up?

Count me in, subject to work commitments...

ian griffiths
29-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

If it can wait until the first weekend of August, I may be able to provide a motocross event near Banbury. Don't know about the rest of you but we do slow down a bit in August making it a bit easiers for us?

There is a Premiere Inn with pub / restaruant attached and of course camping at the event.

Let me know your thoughts and I'll speak to the clubs owner.

Bob Coyne
29-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I will be interested, subject to work commitments.

Mike Weeks
29-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Ian,

the intention was to do this over a wednesday/thursday as that will allow those that have events at the weekend to get along however dependant upon feedback everything is flexible. I am sure you will find plenty of interest and it may be possible to co-ordinate.

Mike

ian griffiths
29-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Mike,

Its not my intention to organise something in addition to what you are proposing just offering a possible venue. Unfortunatley these events do only take place at weekends when people can attend.

If you would like to stick with week days I may be able to help with an alternative venue at an MX test track near Milton Keynes, would need to see what dates were available.

Let me know if you'd like to use either option and I'll make enquiries.

Graham Russell
29-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I would have thought this session should take place away from an event so we can have lots of discussions/presentations/debates/break-out sessions etc about various topics listed at the top of this thread.

Personally I would value a focused agenda on various event photography topics rather than an on-to-job, taking pics session.

A wireless master class seems to be a popular topic :)

In recent weeks I have had to set up a few D3s for mates on mine who are not quite so network savy.

Cheers
Graham

Mike Weeks
29-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Graham,

the idea of mocking up an event would be in addition, i.e. the evening so that those that want to chill can do, the other reason for doing a day and a half is so that the afternoon of the second day may also be used for a live set up for those that wish to attend whilst others travel home. As I have said nothing is finalised and it needs input. An alternative may be to do the sessions during the day and have the evening for a wireless clinic where we can try to get other peoples systems working after demoing during the day.

As soon as I have some more details about location and date I will post so that we can get a realistic idea of numbers.

Mike

gary evans
29-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I would prefer a midweek to be perfectly honest

Paul Smith
29-05-2009, 01:25 PM
midweek would work better for me
Like Ian I slow down in August, but in August you get lots of midweek equestrian events / clinics / camps, but to be honest if you had say 20 from here decend on a LIVE event would that really work, would the 20 get out what they wanted.
Wireless master class is a must esp over a considerable outdoor distance and the indoor alternatives.

Topics can include

workflow for different events - say social based (prom/ball/blacktie) sports (team events / equestrian(SJ, XC) static events, huge numbers (running)
promotion pre event at the event post event
SEO
products - what works , what doesn't

I would expect that a few will be happy to give, but most will just want to absorb and take, so some thinking maybe required as to how to ensure that all contribute to the knowledge pool

Mike Weeks
29-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Paul,

We are not in need of volunteers to demonstrate as thet side is sorted. What will be useful is discussion because no matter what you deliver there is always somebody else that has done it differently or achieved different results working the same way.

Mike

Paul Smith
29-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I'll shut up then :roll:

gary evans
29-05-2009, 03:50 PM
please :rofl:

Gary Coulson
29-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Who is doing the demonstrating ?

Mike Weeks
30-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Gary,

at present it is Jeremy Nako and myself doing the main presenting however there may be some other presenters who are demonstrating specific products dependant upon numbers attending, dates and location as well as taking into consideration anything that is raised by potential attendees.

Mike

mags smeaton
02-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Depending on dates I will be there ... 2 things I would appreciate ... A bit of notice on dates to allow me to 'juggle' things to be there ...and an idiots guide to wireless shooting. But being very much an 'event novice' I'm sure I'll get somthing out of whatever you decide to cover. :D

Trudy Trafford
02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd be interested in attending, all weekends booked up now until end of Sept, so midweek would mean I would hopefully be able to attend.

Lee_Marshall
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I would definately prefer mid-week as my weekends tend to be jammed. I always get quieter in August due to the lack of corporate events.

Jeremy Nako
03-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Just some additional thoughts guys...

For those looking at help with wireless, I intend to have both Canon and Nikon kit available to demonstrate how to set up etc

I've been asked by a couple of prospective attendee's if I'd run a session on posing singles, couples and groups for balls, proms etc.

We have an aweful lot to fit in during the day, and the daily sessions don't really allow the time, but I'd be very happy to do an evening session (after dinner) for a couple of hours if there's any interest.

If you're planning on attending would this be of interest, or would you prefer to just chill after a full day ?

Mike Weeks
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok guys and gals I am going to fix the date as wednesday the 5th and thursday the 6th August.

The location has availablility but are delaying giving me a price but the deal will include drinks all day and pastries and lunch as is normal at these things. I also know the websites to get their rooms at low prices so once it is confirmed I will post those.

We would have the venue for the full 2 days - timetable will be confirmed once we have got peoples requests and the price is goung to be no more than £175 excluding accomodation. This does not include the posing session with Danni (the model) taken by Jeremy, unless everybody wants to attend it in which case we will price it in as an extra.

We obviously need enough people to make it viable which is about 15 with space available for about 20 in total.

Mike

Lee_Marshall
10-06-2009, 09:48 PM
How do we book then?

22-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm definitely interested in coming along, I'm in the North London area, and will travel. Weekends are more difficult for me. I might drag a fellow photographer along too.

gary evans
22-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I am going to fix the date as wednesday the 5th and thursday the 6th August.

Unless the venue you choose is in or near Marmaris in Turkey I'm afraid that I shall have to pass.

A well deserved holiday is on the cards :D :D :D

Graham Taylor
22-06-2009, 08:44 PM
And I shall be relaxing with a bottle of vino on a Sicillian beach (hopefully not sleeping with the fishes!)

Mike Weeks
08-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Guys,

the hotel has bumped us however Photomart have generously offered the use of their mezanine floor which should save us some money. The cost will definitely be below £150 for the 2 days and once numbers are confirmed I can let you know more. Those that wish to attend can you please let me know by the weekend.

Mike

john christopher
21-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Book me down! I still can't get my Canon WiFi to fire up and £150 for two days is cheap considering the amount of time and energy I've already wasted on this thing.

The Dark Dude.

Graham Russell
21-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Is there a proposed agenda for this event? You really can't expect people to commit and sign-up without an agenda, list of exhibitors etc.

I'm puzzled by the cots if Photomart are offering to host the event. How much room is there to incorporate what appeared to be a very packed event? Will there be an expo area in addition to the presentation and seminar areas? This is not the same as hiring rooms in a hotel.

For cut down rates I'd be delighted to host a wireless materclass in my studio :) I've bailed Canon and Nikon colleagues out of the shit on numerous occasions.

Graham

Jeremy Nako
21-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Graham

There is no list of exhibitors - this is a training session for those people who wish to learn.

There is no final cost determined as yet. Mike put a 'max' cost on it to start with to give people a guide.

I'm surprised that you felt the need to disparage without knowing either the costs involved or the numbers attending, and you seem to have missed the whole ethos of this training session.

For cut down rates I'd be delighted to host a wireless materclass in my studio :) I've bailed Canon and Nikon colleagues out of the shit on numerous occasions.

Graham, there is nothing to stop you offering courses or private tuition. Mike has tried to put this together for minimal costs to benefit EPS members and I'm disappointed that such a post should be made.

Mike Weeks
21-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Graham,

this was arranged to be in a Hotel which in part due to the lack of confirmation of final numbers i.e. I did not have enough people that had confirmed to attend they then pulled the plug as they had a confirmed booking. I contacted the owner of Photomart who offered their mezinine floor which for those that have seen it know that for 15-20 people there is more than enough space and then some.

The intention was never to bring in outside firms, Jeremy and I were going to go through everything from start to finish, use of different software, computer/wireless configuration, profiling - Jeremy had a model arranged for the second day to go through posing etc. I had also asked for anyone attending to let us know what they wanted to see or know about so that we could tailor the 2 days to those attending. Jeremy and I were going to use the equipment we have available which covers a good part of what is available but it was never meant as a sales pitch for anything or anyone. If people want to attend manufacturers sales pitches there are enough over the year. We should now be working on the final program.

Yes you could do this sort of thing at a live event but there would never be the time to go into full detail for each and every question even if extra manpower were there just for the demo (as an example if 12 people were there and each wanted help configuring their wireless we were prepared to do it) - the other main point was to set a target figure that we would keep the price below - 2 days for less than £150 which you should compare with one day courses at up to £250 each. This was never started as a money making venture, it was started to pass something back to the members some of whom had asked if such training were possible.

Maybe one day EPS will be in a position to book a large venue, invite manufacturers and distributors etc. but until then we have to try and grow with the members and not do as some organisations do and just see the members as something to make a continual profit out of.

I had a lot of positive response from people who said they wanted to attend, but when chasing them up to get a final answer they have either had a change of plan or I get no response. The event will be cancelled this evening unless I hear from a number of people that now wish to attend (I have not forgotten those that have confirmed).

I hope this makes the situation clear.

Mike

Trudy Trafford
21-07-2009, 08:43 AM
We have always been definite Mike and still are, fingers crossed it can still go ahead, we were really looking forward to it.

simon coates
21-07-2009, 08:51 AM
We have always been definite Mike and still are, fingers crossed it can still go ahead, we were really looking forward to it.

Me too!

Simon

Stuart Etheridge
21-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Sorry guys I have only just joined the forum and got to read this thread.

This event sounds like just the kind of help I need. I would be interested in attending should you still go ahead.

Stuart

john christopher
21-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Now that the fuss and fight is all over and done with, can we all get back to the matter at hand....ie: sorting out the dude. with his little wifi problem. That last post by Mike was the last straw. Even before I had finished the 1st paragraph, my eyes gave out and now I can't see for toffee. Not a very good situation for a photographer, I'm sure you all agree. Now I think that NOT having this event sponsored and keeping it pure, is a true (one time only) blessing. That means we can talk about the equipment /method without the bias. The added fact that Photomart is just up the road from me, is a added plus. Who said living in Tottenham isn't all that?

The Dark Dude

john christopher
21-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Is there a proposed agenda for this event? You really can't expect people to commit and sign-up without an agenda, list of exhibitors etc.

I'm puzzled by the cots if Photomart are offering to host the event. How much room is there to incorporate what appeared to be a very packed event? Will there be an expo area in addition to the presentation and seminar areas? This is not the same as hiring rooms in a hotel.

Graham

Nice one Graham! I hope the Police are nice where you live because if I DON"T get sorted quick I might just take up that offer and haul my sorry arse on down to Surrey.

The Dark Dude :cam: :puter:

31-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Hiya,

Is this going ahead next week?

Thanks,

Caron

31-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I had been told it was cancelled, if it's still on me and victoria will come. Sorry if I missed the discussion, how much is it for 2 people from same company?

Thanks

ian griffiths
01-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Can you please confirm or deny if this training event is taking place?

I have a room booked in a local hotel and need to cancel it to avoid charges if its not happening, also I'd like to plan the days for other activities if its not happening.

ian griffiths
03-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Are you there Mike?

I have to cancell the hotel booking before noon to avoid charges. If I've not heard by then I shall have to assume the training is cancelled and cancel my hotel booking.

Hope all is OK with you and yours, not like you to go all quiet?