Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DS40 Question ? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DS40 Question ?

Alan Warner
13-05-2010, 06:27 PM
DS40 when plugged into a different USB port requires the reinstall of driver each & every time the printer is attatched to a different port

Is there a way to not have installed 5-6 times 1 for each & every port ?

Alan

Richard Chaff
13-05-2010, 06:34 PM
DS40 when plugged into a different USB port requires the reinstall of driver each & every time the printer is attatched to a different port

Is there a way to not have installed 5-6 times 1 for each & every port ?

Alan
Al,
We get around this issue by using the same port for each printer each time and that seems to be the best way. ;)

Alan Warner
13-05-2010, 06:49 PM
We get around this issue by using the same port for each printer each time and that seems to be the best way. ;)

Hoped there was a workaround other than the above,

Its a pain, but no big deal I know,

not a DNP specific issue as I've had it happen before with Mitsubishi 3020's but as I've

been using the 9500/9550/9800's I've really not had to bother with which port I use for

quite a while, I can colour code the USB cables

Does any one know why this is happening ?

Is it an issue within the driver ?

Alan

Andy Starkey
13-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Al,

it's a windoze thing, drivers (depending which OS you use) are linked to hardware ports. You should be able to install a driver for each USB port you use, but you should then allocate each printer to a port. Again depending on exactly what OS and patch you are using and how your hardware is configure (shared USB), sometimes you will have to reinstall the driver every time you change the port.

As mentioned the simple answer is to plug in the printer to a port, install the driver and rename the printer to reference the USB port it's installed against. The label the printer so you know the port to use.

I now have several printers (all the same printer) configured... Left side USB1, Left rear USB1, Right Rear USB1, Right side USBtop, Right side USBbot.

Also just in case I always pack a a copy of the driver software with the printer (not the pc/laptop).

Andy

Mike Weeks
13-05-2010, 08:37 PM
One of the things you can do is to copy the driver install files to the computer and then it knows where to look when it needs to install them.

Mike

Peter Martin-Turner
13-05-2010, 09:03 PM
That plus carry them on a USB stick and leave it in your cash tin! Downloading a 6mb Olmec printer driver via a GPRS connection with a pitiful mobile signal is not fun. Remember dialup modems?

Whilst photographing a cross country event a couple of weeks ago I had to talk an assistant through removing/ reinstalling the Olmec printer driver and printer config over the phone. Took a few minutes but we got there. Oddly enough the test print I had done on the machine an hour earlier when I left the site was still being used as a display sample when I returned that evening. What galls me is that I have an OKI laser and Epson inkjet that work regardless of which USB port they are plugged into. Perhaps Bill G never got a decent prom picture so thought he'd punish all eventers by making their dye subs continually reinstall forevermore.

Alan Warner
16-05-2010, 10:36 AM
One of the things you can do is to copy the driver install files to the computer and then it knows where to look when it needs to install them.

Thanks Guys I'm already doing the above, was just hoping someone knew how to make work the way my 9800's do...

In fact I partition my Hard drive's into Three

1. XP System & ED Darkroom
2. Event Images
3. Install Programs & Drivers ect...

As mentioned the simple answer is to plug in the printer to a port, install the driver and rename the printer to reference the USB port it's installed against. The label the printer so you know the port to use.

Seem easiest to set up and go for the above, as having all 9 USB ports installed to each of the printers, will confuse the hell outta me and Darkroom when onsight :?

I also have a DVD of above taped to the PC case, I'm a bit of a belt and braces guy...

Alan