Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Generator V Batteries????? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Generator V Batteries?????

Jason Goodlad
10-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi guys,
We did our first event on Sunday, was going ok, then our Kippor genny, which we had owned for a week decided to not work!!!!
Anyway, I have made some phone calls and I have been told by Maplins that I could buy a battery, 150, and an inverter, 140, and charger, 20. This would run my equipment for about 10 hours, (currently only have a laptop and printer). If this is the case, why did I buy a generator for 475, the battery seems much easier and cheaper.....am I missing something???

Mike Weeks
10-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Just check the current from the invertor and how much the printer needs - it might power an inkjet but a dye sub may be totally different.

Mike

Andy Haynes
10-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I suspect it would need to be a serious battery to power a Dye-sub printer for 10 hours, and that's probably when it's brand new. Give it a year and it'll store less charge each time you use it. It also gives you no way to expand if and when you want extra kit on site. I would stick with the generator myself.

Peter Martin-Turner
10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
What's wrong with the genny? I presume that it has both fuel and sufficient oil ( equally not too much) and that the on/off switch on the fuel cap is set to on. Yes I have seen that happen! Fuel cap switch knocked into the off position when refilling....

Bryan Osborne
10-05-2010, 10:02 PM
This sounds really naive and it's not aimed to be a slight on anyone but an admission.

What Bryan admitting to something! :omy: :omy: :omy:

Seriously though I had the same genny problem or I think I did. Here is the scenario.

Started genny and got distracted leaving the choke on genny coughed and passed away.

Cleanned plug and wore out the starting cable and lost about ten pounds.

Fault. genny started bouncing about cos the choke was out and finally dislodged the spark plug cap!

This has also happened in transit. So I would check out fuel pipes, air filter obviously oil
remove and clean plug and then make sure the plug cap is RIGHT HOME ON THE PLUG.

Bryan