Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Dye Sub Selection [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dye Sub Selection

martin powell
05-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Hello

I am just finalising equipment , software etc before boldly dipping my toes in the event world, I have been agonising for a long time over which printer to select, after much deliberation I have decided (at the moment) to go for the Olmec PO1000 this seems to tick all the boxes and it works with vista.
I wanted to ask if any one knows of any particular problems etc with this machine and how best to tackle colour management (are there any profiles available on line), finaly what is the optimum size to print I thought it was 6x8 but am told 6x9 is best with a simple folder.

Any thanks any advice is greatfully received
:cam:

Martin

Mike Weeks
05-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I am using the same printer, I have had no issues over the 12 months that I have owned it. The standard profile that comes with it does the job well however if it does not suit your needs the place I recommend is www.pureprofiles.com (http://www.pureprofiles.com) but you must ask for an enhanced 6" x 9" profile which is not listed on their site. It costs a little more and needs about 8 or 9 prints to be made but it really sorted out my Mitsubishi which is why I had one done for the Olmec which was not really necessary.

The one thing that you should be aware of is that ICI are withdrawing from the dye-sub market but the warranties and supplies are guaranteed to continue as well as the development of the MAC driver and the ability to use Lustre. The Olmec is a Shinko OEM machine and they will be changing their name to Sinfonia soon so what the actual name on the box will be in a few weeks is a little uncertain howevr I am confident that there will be no problems and intend to buy a second Olmec to replace the Mitsubishi very soon.

If you have any concerns give me a call or send a PM.

Mike