Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
HiLite Question ? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HiLite Question ?

Alan Warner
21-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Anyone used the larger 8x7 version with the short side to the floor, so its 8' high ?

Is it stable ?

Alan

gary evans
21-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Yes, when I had to work in an alcove

Who is 8' tall?

Bryan Osborne
21-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Yes but as an insurance go to B&Q and gets some dowel and make four more of the support struts that come with the Hilite. Easy cut to length and just put a notch in either end. Painted mine black so as they don't appear "Heath Robinson" and pass casual scrutiny!

I am really surprised that nobody has yest looked at "cloning" this product in a "supported on standard stands" version after all how hard is in to create what is basically a braced "BAG?" from a design I am sure someone in China would knock these up in no time.

I find with mine that it is very sensitive to handling and the white side easy to create "stress stretches" in. Also they are incredibly hard to keep clean and to pack.

A foldable version would be easier to erect and to take down AND to keep clean.

I am experimenting with a seamstress ( oh does that sound risque?) to create a prototype and I am going to experiment with constant lighting I sorta like the idea of putting multiple bulbs in and experimenting with the colour for each bulb adding mood to a flat lit subject?

Bryan

Mike Weeks
21-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Bryan,

there are already to my knowledge 2 copies out there and they all fold.

Mike

gary evans
21-04-2010, 07:32 AM
......... and I am going to experiment with constant lighting I sorta like the idea of putting multiple bulbs in and experimenting with the colour for each bulb adding mood to a flat lit subject?

Have you tried with one single light at the bottom with a gel fitted?

Alan Warner
21-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi Bryan,

Its a project I'm working on at the moment that could just do with a bit more height, rather than painting or cloning 200-300 images in Darkroom, which is no big deal in itself, just a slow down of workflow,

I looked at making a few dowels as you mention with fishing line bound/glued on the ends to stop splitting but maybe make a call to my supplier as I'm lazy,

I may be tempted to use a strap to a stand sandbag weight on floor just to lower the risk of a topple...

Alan

Bryan Osborne
21-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Dowels are deat simple just get a 8-10mm hardwood dowel, cut a notch in either end to about an eighth of an inch and paint job done takes about 20mins to make say six!

It might also be of interest to share on here details of any folding clones for HiLite to stop us all p**sing about re-inventing the wheel!

andrew waring
21-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Anyone used the larger 8x7 version with the short side to the floor, so its 8' high ?

Is it stable ?

Alan

I often use it like this with no problems at all.

jeremysutton
21-04-2010, 09:34 AM
[quote="Alan Warner":2enq24tf]Anyone used the larger 8x7 version with the short side to the floor, so its 8' high ?

Is it stable ?

Alan

I often use it like this with no problems at all.[/quote:2enq24tf]

Especially when it's gaffer taped to the wall behind...lol

I have a BIG reservation about putting a slave in the middle at the bottom, as I have not yet done an evening event without someone tredding on the back, normally it's the old bloke thinking that he has to stand 2" from it..

Jez

simon coates
21-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Yes but as an insurance go to B&Q and gets some dowel and make four more of the support struts that come with the Hilite.

I used a different and somehow more professional approach - I bought some Easton Aluminium arrow shafts from Quicks Archery supplies and cut them to length. Why is this more professional? 'Cos that's what Lastolite use! From memory, the genuine Lastolite spars have Easton XX75 on them....

Simon

Bryan Osborne
21-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I had thought of getting the bracers custom made by EGA Mann at Silverstone out of Race Grade Carbon fibrle and then custom painted by Belting Bikes at Hounslow but it was pointed out that the customers probably wouldn't make a big effort to inspect the work in committee, so I elected to use hardwood dowel and poster paints at a total cost of 3.76p!

simon coates
21-04-2010, 12:59 PM
If you'd gone down the carbon-fibre route, why would you have needed to paint them? They'd already have been the correct colour. Of course, you could use another Easton product instead of the XX75s - something like the ACE (Aluminium Carbon Extreme) which is a very narrow aluminium tube wrapped in a three layer carbon wrap. These are much more resilient and less likely to splinter under load than a pure carbon-fibre pipe, whilst being of a lesser diameter than a traditional shaft. :lol:

Simon

Alan Warner
21-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I think I may just order some extra ones from lastolite,

of course that is, if there not to expensive, if not the Dowel idea will suffice...

Alan

Mark Amies
22-04-2010, 07:50 AM
So we ruled out the standard backdrop support kits then?

Mike Weeks
22-04-2010, 07:55 AM
So we ruled out the standard backdrop support kits then?

Mark,

that is what I find is the best answer if it has to be in a position where it may become unstable - why buy extra kit when I already have a solution with me.

What I would like is a combined lighting support stand so that I can locate my Bowens half way up and then place a pole across at the top.

Mike

Alan Warner
22-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi Mark

We do already have Pole & Post set that we could use,

Trouble is I'm trying to avoid the extra weight and set up time, adding two extra supports is no bother,

if they work as I think they should, my van is rammed as it is...

What I would like is a combined lighting support stand so that I can locate my Bowens half way up and then place a pole across at the top.

sounds good idea !

Alan

John_Blythe
12-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I guess it depends on how solid you want it to be but I was thinking of using 2 Manrotto 5001B Nano stands fully extended with the three legs flat on the floor one on either side clamped to the back edge of the HiLite. Then you could use a super clamp half way up each to mount your flash head on. Light, minimal but does the job.