Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Nikon WT versus Hi-Touch WFT-510 Wireless Transmitter [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Nikon WT versus Hi-Touch WFT-510 Wireless Transmitter

Amanda Wigmore
16-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi.
I'm quite happily using an Eye-fi card in my D80 at events but I'd like to add wireless connectivity to my D700. As I can't use Eye-Fi, I've been thinking about either the Nikon or Hi Touch Transmitters. Price is always a consideration but I don't really know how the two compare. Any comments or guidance gratefully received.
Thanks.
x

simon coates
16-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Manda,

I may be wrong (not unheard of, unfortunately :roll: ) but I believe the HiTouch is a PictBridge device which means that it does not automatically transmit the images as they are taken. Through the use of the PictBridge interface, the unit tricks the camera into believing that it is talking to a printer. This means that there is an extra stage after taking the photo instructing the transmitter to do its job.

The Nikon WT will of course transmit each and every image without needing to do anything extra after the shot has been taken.

For me and the way I work, this is a major design fault and would render the unit almost entirely useless.

Simon

Stuart Morley
16-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Amanda,

The Nikon has the ability to send all the images without doing anything at all (apart from setting it up and turning on of course!)

The HiTi requires you push a button each time you want to transfer an image or images as it uses the pictbridge functionality of the camera to send the images. This way you can use it with many cameras but in general use the Nikon maybe easier to use. The HiTi also uses AA batteries which maybe a slight advantage.

It really comes down to money at the end of the day.

If money is no object then it's the Nikon, if money is tight then the HiTi (or Eye-Fi).

Hope that helps.....

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
16-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Manda

I can vouch for the WT4, it's brilliant & reliable, although it does eat batteries, it can go through two or three per event. However, it takes the same batteries as the D700 so you're likely to have spares.

A drawback with the D700 compared with the D300 is that you cannot configure the camera via the laptop but have to do it using the camera controls, which is very fiddly. However, you usually only have to do it once.

I would recommend using the WT4 with a router and Filezilla. That way a 1.5mb file goes through in just over a second. It's rare now that I take event photos and they are not uploaded by the time the customer reaches the display.

Jeremy Nako
16-04-2010, 10:19 AM
A drawback with the D700 compared with the D300 is that you cannot configure the camera via the laptop but have to do it using the camera controls, which is very fiddly. However, you usually only have to do it once.

Bill can you expand on this ?

My reading of your comment implies that you can't configure/edit the wireless and FTP settings on the D700 using the WT-4 software supplied with the unit, which isn't the case.

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
16-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Jeremy

I thought someone had touched on this before but I can't find the thread. On the D300 there is a setting in the Setup menu for "USB" just after "Auto Image Rotation" You can choose "Mass Srorage" or "MTP / PTP". There is no similar setting on the D700 that I can find so, as I understood it you can't attach the D700 as a mass storage device to your laptop.

If there's a way of doing it I'm sure it would be helpful to Amanda, and to me if I ever need to alter the settings.

Jeremy Nako
16-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Sorry Bill, but we must be talking at cross purposes.

The WT-4 software that comes with the WT-4 wireless unit can be used to create and edit the profiles and all other information required to transmit files. The camera is plugged into the PC/laptop and the software reads existing profiles held on the camera allowing full editing facilities.

This week I've had to configure 15 or so different profiles for my D700 using just that method.

BTW, there is a firmware update for the D700 which is necessary if you want to use the latest version of the software.

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
16-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Jeremy (Sorry Manda for digressing a bit, but you may have the same problem) when I plugged the D700 into the laptop and ran the WT4 software it said it couldn't see the camera. Had no problem with the D300. What version of the firmware have you got on the D700, I thought I had the latest 1.02

Jeremy Nako
16-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Yup.. 1.02. Are you using the updated WT-4 software as well..?

Not sure why you're having problems Bill, but this definately works.

As I've mentioned I've used it on several computers this week and a whole load of profiles for a complex wireless setup job I have.

J

simon trafford
16-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Not sure why you're having problems Bill, but this definately works.

I agree, I had the same issue until I upgraded the D700 firmware, it has been fine since

:puter:

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
16-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I'll give it another try and report back. Manda, you know who to ask if you have any problems (and it's not me!)

Bill Allon_Camera Angles
16-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Problem solved. I used the version of the WT 4 Setup Utility on the accompanying CD, v.1.1. I needed to upload the latest v.1.1.4. Having done that it works fine. Watch for this if you get one, Manda.

Jeremy Nako
16-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Excellent !

Amanda Wigmore
16-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks to all for the comments.
Bill, I use the D700 tethered with Camera Control Pro 2. I can adjust shutter speeds and settings etc from the Laptop with no problems although I updated the camera's Firmware so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I think it works the same with the Nikon WT-4.

As far as the Hi-Touch wireless system goes, I'm not sure that losing the ability to adjust the Camera from the Laptop would affect me too much. Pressing a button to transfer pictures... I'm sure I'd get used to it although does it tranfer all of them everytime or does it know which ones have been sent?? Also, does anyone know if the ranges on the systems are comparable??
x

Stuart Morley
16-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi

Most people don't bother adjusting the camera from the laptop / pc unless they are shooting remotely.

As for the distance, yes the WFT-510 and WT-4 are comparable.

Stu

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amanda Wigmore
17-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for that. I think moneywise the Hi-Touch would appear to be the answer as I'm not sure that I'll need the extra bits that the Nikon does. Sorry to be a pain but do you know how it transfers the pictures. If I press send, will they all go across everytime or will it remember what pictures have been sent (like the eye-fi card does).
x