Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Kipor advice please [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Kipor advice please

Jason Goodlad
14-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is one of many questions....
I am looking at buying a Kipor generator,
the IG2000p, max. 2.00kva
or the IG2600, max. 2.6kva.
Does anyone have any input about any of these machines or could you suggest an alternative? I would like to buy a Honda but the budget won't allow it at the moment.
Is it a problem that the generator runs for about 3 hours between filling? I assume you have to turn everything off in order to fill it or is this not the case? Of course I wouldn't be filling the generator without turning it off first.
Thanks in advance for you advice. :-)

antonydecsernatony
14-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I believe these are an imported copy of the Honda eu20i that i have .... i used this at the weekend from 10am till 5pm it never missed a beat and it did not need topping up with fuel...

My policy is to buy the best available the first time!!!! i got mine from costco and paid about 860 inc vat

I know that does not really answer your question !!!but thought i would give you my opinion..

hope thats ok
Antony

Stuart Morley
14-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I think manufacturers advise waiting 5 mins before refuelling, this is where a ups comes in handy to power the equipment whilst this is done.

Stu

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Jason Goodlad
14-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I know that a UPS is an uninterupted power supply, but how would that work?
What would I need for this?

andy scothern
14-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi
I have got one of the Kipor 2600 and it is a great little thing it runs all my event PC's and printer, it is better to go for the 2600 than the 2000 because the 2000 will run at higher revs so it is noisier.

Andy

:diff:

Richard Chaff
14-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is one of many questions....
I am looking at buying a Kipor generator,
the IG2000p, max. 2.00kva
or the IG2600, max. 2.6kva.
Does anyone have any input about any of these machines or could you suggest an alternative? I would like to buy a Honda but the budget won't allow it at the moment.
Is it a problem that the generator runs for about 3 hours between filling? I assume you have to turn everything off in order to fill it or is this not the case? Of course I wouldn't be filling the generator without turning it off first.
Thanks in advance for you advice. :-)
Hi Jason

Can't speak about Kipor gennys as I have no experience of them, I use a Fujikawa (sp?) with a gen Honda engine - copy of a 10i Honda unit, and so it is a 12V unit with built-in sine wave inverter. This has never run out on me provided I have filled it before the start, and that includes some 9-hour days.

I would have thought only three hours running would cause issues, not least because you would want to allow some cooling time on each refill before slipping with the jerry can and splashing petrol over a very hot engine! Also, some venues - even if they allow petrol gennys - will not allow refuelling.

If you are sufficiently keen there is a very, very long thread re Honda and Chinese/kipor gennys here http://www.rv.net/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15131645/srt/pa/pging/1.cfm.

My Honda engined Fujikawa unit, which I obtained in 2003 when I started doing outdoor events, still starts first pull from job to job, and started after 4th pull even after winter lay-off of 4 months. That is worth a lot.

HTH

jeremysutton
14-04-2010, 06:19 PM
I use an tiny Honda EX7 through a UPS to power 1 printer, a monitor and a laptop. It's gets me out of a fix !!!

(or at home during power cuts it powers my Sky box and telly) :lol:

Jez.

14-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Can't comment on makes other than Honda but we run the 1 and 2kw for up to 10 hours at a time with stops only for refueling. As with all machinery, regular servicing, checking and good quality oil will give long life and reliability. Remember that one of the functions of engine oil is also to cool the engine as well as lubricate the moving parts, so keeping the generator as level as possible is paramount to ensure this thermal transfer happens efficiently, especially on hot days. Also remember that maximum output figures quoted (eg. 2kw for the Honda) are only peak and not sustainable over long periods so if you need 2kw go for the 2.6 model in your case.

Hope this helps.

Alan Warner
15-04-2010, 06:26 AM
We run on Honda EU20i the Auto speed setting the following

2x Dell Mini PC & monitors
1x Dell ATG laptop
2x CP9800
1x Epson R220 inkjet (proof printer)
1x CC terminal

it has rarely ever moved off of the slowest quietest setting (does work have tested with 1kw fire)

Alan

Alan Warner
15-04-2010, 06:30 AM
forgot to add the Honda was bought for just 980 from local Honda dealer after tracking down a Genuine UK Honda dealer that were selling direct on Ebay !

These Honda babies hold their value the same cannot be said for most of the other brands...

Alan

Peter Martin-Turner
15-04-2010, 07:06 AM
I have both the Honda EU20i and the Kipor IG 2000. No doubt the Honda is the better bit of kit but I've used the Kipor extensively over the last year and seldom had reason to doubt that it was up to the job.

Good advice about keeping it level, also do remember to keep an eye on the oil level. Other gotcha is to make sure that the switch on top of the fuel cap does not inadvertently get switched to off. Generator will run fine for a few minutes then cut out! Had one of my assistants in a bit of a tizz until it resolved.

Alan Warner
15-04-2010, 07:12 AM
I Used to use a 20min UPS that I was given in the past, this gave me security it kept Server PC running long enough to either boot down PC's or restart/refill the generator, was also extra precaution...

Alan

ian griffiths
15-04-2010, 09:22 AM
One thing to be very aware of is the growing banning of petrol generators at events, especially those being held on local authority land, you have to watch out for the little man in his flat cap jumping out of the bushes!

When buying I would suggest you enquire if the unit can be converted to LPG.

Diesel genny's are very heavy, noisy and expensive to buy.

We use Stephill Generators in Wellingborough, only those fitted with Honda engines, the cost of conversion is around 200 but if you buy 13kg bottles or bigger you really do save on fuel.

I'm thinking of having a doughnut tank fitted to the van in the spare wheel well, then I can fill up at garages and get half price LPG! Plus I don't have to lug the bottles in and out of the van.

john christopher
15-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Yo Fat Dude

Can your LPG converted generator be refilled at a normal LPG filling station, along with your motor? Just wondering......

BTW: Petrolheads please keep in mind that LPG is HALF the price of unleaded petrol. Convert NOW!

ian griffiths
15-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Yo Black dude (see I used a capital B there, get me, yeah!!!)

No, at present it only runs off bottles. There are a few convertors for sale on Ebay that you can use to fill a bottle at the garage but I think they are ilegal and would almost certainly contravene Calor's usage policy, but who's going to police that?

This is why I'm looking in to the doughnut, not just because I love doughnuts espcially the ones filled with jam, caramel, icing ok ok any doughnut (All hail Krispy Kremes) back to reality, with a tank installed I can then fill up at the garage, as GR says "LPG done!" (See back to food again)

Cheers

john christopher
15-04-2010, 02:17 PM
No, no, no! I'm the Dark Dude. I wasn't born to a coal miners daughter.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now back to the subject of LPG. I don't want you (or anyone else for that matter) to blow themselves up in the quest of saving a few pennies. My advice is the stay well clear of the Ebay rouge traders and stick with Calor for servicing your generators needs. Better FAT than MASH!

:diff:

ian griffiths
15-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Spoil sport!

16-04-2010, 01:17 PM
From what I have read and heard of the Kipors they are reliable.

I have spent a few days this week building myself the genny from hell.
It's a 3.5 Hp horizontal crank start Chinese Diesel Turning a 120A alternator attached to a car battery and 1200W + 600W inverter.

It's a bit on the solid side at 50Kg plus the inverters and battery but I guarantee it will run forever a day and outlast any Honda. These Chinese diesels are built for day in day out duty and even come with a rebuild kit and tools for when they do get tired.

The best thing about this thing is its economy. As well as using little fuel, it also runs on Used chip oil which I get for free and fuel my cars with it as well. The food vendors are going to love the increased business they get when the wind is blowing the right way and I fire this baby up.

As well as heavy, its also rather noisy although if I ever do an event next to an international airport departure runway or drag strip, I'm sure I'll never hear it. For other events I'm going to build an enclosure to muffle the sound and put it at the end of a 30M extension lead. One advantage of the veg oil is it subdues the clack of the diesel ignition and gives them a smoother sound.

When I built my trailer, I put an old UPS in it and replaced the internal batteries with some much larger units I wired up externally. The last time I did an event that was on genny power, they switched it off and I ran 5 computers and 2 printers for just on 90 min before I shut it down. Not sure how long it would go for but I was well pleased with the run time I got.

Earlier tonight I measured the power draw of my trailer with everything running and it came in at a fraction over 500W. That is easily powered by a small generator but what would be the fun in using something that weighs 20 kg when I have a setup that probably touches 75! :lol:

I have also set up a directly coupled alternator to a petrol engine which also works well and is far more practical but een though the engine is almost twice the power of the little Diesel, it struggles to carry the same load. I can dump a full load on the diesel and it barely notices but when the same load is dumped on the petrol engine it nearly has a heart attack.

I love diesels, they may not be the most practical thing in this application but i'll still take one over a gas fueled engine any day. :-)

john christopher
16-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Gordon Bennett, David

Things can't be that bad down under for you to build your own gennie? I know that the day is coming soon when I too will be required to produce my own power. When that day comes I want to use something that looks nice, silent running, runs on LPG and won't reduce m workstation to a pile of ashes. Last week I popped into my local Machine Mart and as soon as I mentioned that I was an event photographer was treated to a guided tour of all things genny. The Clarke gennies looked almost identical to their Honda counterparts but cost less than half of the Honda. Great if you're only powering up once in a blue moon but NOT (me thinks) if you're doing some heavy duty day in and day out plodding.

Jason Goodlad
16-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Thank you for all the advice everyone.