Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DNP profile [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DNP profile

Alan Warner
31-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Has any one bothered to get the DS40/DS80 profiled yet ?

Was it worth the bother ?

if so what area's have you noted an improvement ?

So far my findings are not as good as I would like on skin tones but that's not damming what is a very light printer & better than the Mitsubishi profiles out of the box,

PLS:
I know there is a lot of scope for adjustment in the driver

Alan

Natalie-Briggs
31-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I havent had my DS40 profiled yet but am seriously considering it so I will be interested in the replies. I am finding images print darker than seen on my calibrated screen and skin tones a little more orange

Alan Warner
31-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I am finding images print darker than seen on my calibrated screen and skin tones a little more orange

Ditto Natalie

Alan

Natalie-Briggs
31-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I am finding images print darker than seen on my calibrated screen and skin tones a little more orange

Ditto Natalie

Alan

Glad its not just me.
I think i'm going to try a profile Alan. If you like i can send you a copy of the before and after print ?

andy scothern
31-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys & Girls

I am very happy with the DNP profile it is spot on and I use the DS40 on my mac book pro and two windows pc's and it is fine at the moment.
Just to add the monitors are checked with a screen calibration spider.

Andy

:rofl:

Alan Warner
01-04-2010, 08:38 AM
In a straight out of the box in a shootout between DNP ds40 vs Mitsubishi 9800 & Atmos Profile

the Mitsubishi is the one chosen by all shown too as being the most preferred,

I don't normally need make any exposure mods to my taken images as they are correct out of camera,

so monitor calibration is not actually problem in this case but it is calibrated just in case,

as Natalie says We are both getting Dark & Orange toned images from the DNP,

I have even tried using other images taken from our Studio Setup...

Alan

Mike Weeks
01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Personally I have used the default profile with no issue for both the DS40 and the DS80.

Mike

Alan Warner
01-04-2010, 11:27 AM
It may be a Nikon/Canon thing,

I will do some more tests & make my findings known...

Alan

Mike Weeks
01-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Alan,

I am using Nikon if that is building the pattern.

Mike

Ian McGirr
01-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Al

Nikon user. Skin tones fine, but 'tad' darker than I'd like.

Have you tried it on the mac ?

simon trafford
01-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Nikon user, with the Mac drivers the DS40 & DS80 appear to be pretty much bang on.

With the Windows XP drivers we have tweaked them a touch on the black and slightly orange skin tones.

Alan Warner
01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
With the Windows XP drivers we have tweaked them a touch on the black and slightly orange skin tones.

Not miles off but a tad Dark & Orange better than original CP9550 profile supplied by mitsubishi !

I've got a few jobs that people have done for us that have used Nikon D3 & D300 so I will compare, watch this space !

Alan

Duncan Knifton
30-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Hi gang

just upping this thread to see how people got on with the colour with their DS80's
My skin tones are out, and there's a magenta tint on the overall print...

At the moment I'm having to dial down red by -15 and dial up the yellow +15....just to get a decent skin tone.
and when I've 100's of prints to do, its a right pain!

Jason Goodlad
30-11-2011, 07:15 PM
In the process of getting a custom profile after re calibrating our mac screen, happy to speak about the results afterwards
may be a week or so.

Duncan Knifton
01-12-2011, 01:45 AM
In the process of getting a custom profile after re calibrating our mac screen, happy to speak about the results afterwards
may be a week or so.

Thanks, would be grateful for any help...

Getting a new monitor as well, but for my PC, will get the Spyder3 Pro as well.....will be interested if this make any difference, as my original one is 11yrs old!!!!.....I know, I cant believe I'm still using it either! 8-):lol:

Jason Goodlad
11-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Had a couple of custom profiles made. Was told that they could be used in Ed and lightroom but colours came out very different.
Ds 80 still has magenta cast ,photos still coming out of both printers warm.
have not tried the real acid test of black and white yet.
So custom profiles dont seem to have helped at the moment.
I am experimenting with ways to remedy the situation any ideas welcome.

Mark Ratcliffe
12-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Sue are these on both your 80s or just one,do you want to fly over to mine bring your printers ( AND SOFTWARE DISCS) we can try some of your prints on my Mitsi Printers,and run a few off on them to have a look how they print on them,to see if colour problem may be somewhere else in the workflow,
Let Me Know
mark

Graham Taylor
12-12-2011, 01:44 PM
When I moved from Mits to DNP I had a couple of custom profiles made for my DS40 & DS80 with ED. Both profile were not good and struggled a bit to get any consistantly. Found out that ED can install the profile twice so once I got that sorted I found the DNP profile was the best one and quite accurate. I spoke with Pure Profiles about it and he told me he dosnt have the settings for ED so struggled a bit.

Jason Goodlad
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Graham,

Do you mean that ED adds the profile and Windows adds the profile, therefore you need to turn it off in Windows and allow ED to add it?
I have done this.

When printing a very white picture on the DS40, the picture come out quite similar to the screen but when I printed the same picture with the DS80, there was a clear magenta cast on it, this was in Lightroom. This was the same with both the new profile and the original DNP profile.
Not really sure what else to do now!!
Sue x

Duncan Knifton
13-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi gang

I know this sounds odd....and I dont know why I tried it....but heard that the mitzy and the DS80 are virtually the same printer, so I downloaded the colour profile for the mitzy 3880 and it takes some of magenta of the print :-)
I say SOME, its still there but not as noticeable...