Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Omni directional antenna [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Omni directional antenna

Trudy Trafford
28-03-2010, 06:15 AM
I would like any recommendations for a proven omni directional antenna and matching access point to attach to our van to give maximum coverage at good value for money.

Primarily this will be used in conjunction with our nikon wt-4 transmitter to cover equestrian show grounds (usually flatish). The network will need to be extendable by repeaters, again suitable recommends would be appreciated.

Simon

Alan Warner
28-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi Simon,

Although not a recommendation for a particular brand/model of aerial

If you can get a sectional TV type aerial mast and get one of the fiberglass hi-gain aerials mounted on the top you will get the best out of your chosen aerial, with minimal interference from cars the crowd & horseboxes

You may find that the higher gain more directional Yagi style antenna are going to limit you if you are roaming a wide area,

However these are quite cheap at around 20-80 and may save the day if your prepared to work at the setup when roaming.

don't forget if your using 2.4ghz router make sure that aerial is for that range rather than the newer 5ghz range

Alan

Richard Chaff
28-03-2010, 05:43 PM
I would like any recommendations for a proven omni directional antenna and matching access point to attach to our van to give maximum coverage at good value for money.

Primarily this will be used in conjunction with our nikon wt-4 transmitter to cover equestrian show grounds (usually flatish). The network will need to be extendable by repeaters, again suitable recommends would be appreciated.

Simon

Hi Simon

I just bought a new b/g access point principally for our equestrian work, Nikon + wt-4 kit, and we have more than doubled our range, probably 3 x, over our previous fairly standard access point.

However, it is not omni as it stands, it has a built-in +10dB panel antenna which give 70 degrees angle of view (35 degrees each way before you are down 3dB) and can also add units as repeaters but don't forget you will halve speed each repeater. Two of these panels working together can give line of sight up to 20 km (kilometres). I have not tried this yet.

I also have a +10dB omni antenna which when fitted to the wt-4 gives another 50-100 yards. With standard wt-4 antenna I am getting one bar 210 + yards behind a hedge (though hedge not in leaf yet, of course) and 2 bars on the level meter line of sight at 210 yards.

As I mentioned in another thread on this subject, we don't need speed of transfer particularly, we need range, although to some extent one leads to the other.

I am expecting to get 250 -400 yards depending on environment and antenna, and 1km + line of sight with another of these with a +10dB omni, so I can roam 50 - 100m from the repeater, I guess, maybe 150m.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging-eoc-2610.htm

Apart from that, as Alan suggested, some means of raising antenna height to improve line of sight, tripod lighting stand with an extra pole on top, anything really to get it a few metres up. Line of sight is critical to good range.

BTW, we mentioned Fun Rides to you and Trudy at Focus...don't know how you are getting on but we have one booked in Shropshire that we could do with covering on 27th June, would you 'n Trudy be interested?

Richard Chaff
28-03-2010, 05:47 PM
...meant to add, this is Power over Ethernet, so you can run the unit 50 -100m from your base computer/power supply.