Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Are 64 bit drivers available for DNP printers?? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Are 64 bit drivers available for DNP printers??

john wright
27-03-2010, 01:38 PM
I've trawled the net and asked some knowledgeable people and it seems there are no Windows 7 certified or 64 bit drivers for the DNP printers.

The 32 bit Vista drivers work under Windows 7 32 bit so the printers are usable under Windows 7 32 bit.

I am in the process of upgrading a number of machines to 64 bit and this is a brick wall. Without the drivers everything stops.

Does anybody know of a source (or if they even exist) for 64 bit drivers for the DNP DS40 and DS80?

The official launch of Windows 7 was October the 22nd 2009. The release candidate was available considerably earlier. To not have a 32 bit version of the drivers for Windows 7 by now is disappointing. To not have a 64 bit version of any variant of windows is short sighted.

I appreciate that 'eventers' are a very small part of the DNP target market but Mitsubishi are rolling out 64 bit drivers and DNP can either play catch up or start to lose market share. If I was buying now the lack of 64 bit drivers would be a deal breaker for me.

John

Mark Amies
27-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Hello John, bit at a loss to action anything right now ( not being at the office), but I do want to see your points addressed. Please do give me a bell on Monday, and we will see what can be done.

Obviously the answers to the query need to be posted back on here, so I will do my best to attend to that to.

Mark

27-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Hello John, bit at a loss to action anything right now ( not being at the office), but I do want to see your points addressed. Please do give me a bell on Monday, and we will see what can be done.

Obviously the answers to the query need to be posted back on here, so I will do my best to attend to that to.

Mark

Mark

Should you have success in this, please either email the drivers to me or a link to them and I will get them added into the printer driver section of the forum so that they are of use to all

john wright
27-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Mark

I'll give you a call on Monday.

My frustration with this is simple really. I am processing just over a thousand images from an event covered in this last week. I am doing it on a 32 bit OS and with a 2Gb memory restriction because that is what the DNP drivers impose on me. I could do it on the same machine but with a 64 bit OS and 8Gb of memory. The task would be considerably quicker.

It is not so much that the available printer drivers are restricted to 32 bit but the significant inefficiencies that this causes in other areas of the processing. Will the printers print any faster, have better colour resolution or print with improved detail with 64 bit drivers? Probably not. Will the process as a whole be significantly faster and more efficient? Yes, absolutely.

The printing is the final element in the work flow and this one element is creating a bottleneck in all the proceeding elements.

Speak soon.

John

Mark Amies
30-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Just as an update on this - DNP are working on this, and have got tests going on. I hope to have some news in the next couple of weeks.

Alan Warner
30-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Mark

Any news on whether their will be a print counter added to the print driver ?

no counter sucks !

Alan

Mark Amies
30-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Alan, we had the discussion before, and unfortunately as it stands there is no easy way to see a print counter. I can bring it up again with DNP.

Mike Weeks
30-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Mark, Alan,

when I was talking with the DNP guys at Focus they said they were well aware of the need for a print counter within the software and it was being looked at but they could make no promises.

Mike

Mark Amies
30-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Mike, yup, pretty much what I knew. Manufacturers usually respond well to user feedback, so all we can do is try and appeal to them on it.

john wright
30-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Just a quick note to say thank you to Mark for taking this up and keeping me informed of the progress. The fact that there is some news and it has been passed on so quickly and it is being actioned speaks volumes for Mark, Photomart and DNP.

Kind of pleased I chose DNP printers after all.

John

john wright
15-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Just installed the Windows 7 drivers and ran the first couple of prints off. Worked well and very pleased with the print. Using a calibrated monitor the resulting print is very close to what I am seeing on the screen.

I've got to say thank you to Mark and the team at Photomart. I don't imagine that my lonely request for 64 bit or Windows 7 drivers really had much effect on DNP producing these but Mark took the time to speak with me and he and his team pushed through a justification and then kept me updated. Here we are a couple of weeks later and the first prints will be off to a client today.

Superb service from Photomart and thank you Mark and Iliyan.

John

petethorp
26-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi John,

I just came across this post... did you get the 64bit drivers for the DS40/DS80?

If so could you please post the link here.

Thanks

Pete

john wright
27-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Pete

the drivers have been posted in the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1118 (http://www.eventphotographersociety.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1118)

The top two links are the Windows 7 and 64 bit drivers.

They are also available directly from Photomart

http://www.photomart.co.uk/content/cont ... phome.html (http://www.photomart.co.uk/content/contentextra/dnp/dnphome.html)

Hope this helps

John

petethorp
28-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Excellent, thank John.

Should bail me out of trouble next time.

regards

Pete