Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
PAT testing [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PAT testing

andycampbell
26-03-2010, 11:13 PM
i am not going to name names as i dont do that, but am looking for opinion more than anything.
I bought a set of lights back in January.
I decided as an addiotnal bit of due diligence to get all my kit PAT tested depsite it all being so new.
One of the lights failed on insulation, despite swapping cables and trying shorter cables nothing would clear the fault and it failed so i contacted the supplier i purchased from.
First comment was 'why are ytou PAT testing?' to which i replied it's up to me and i want to be diligent with my equipment and if it os a little OTT testing it now then so be it.
Second comment was about how new a model it was and how it complied with CE regs.
Fair enough but it still failed the PAT test.
Final comment
'never had a query like this before, if it works it is fine, i'll sprak to the engineer and see what he thinks and if a problem i'll phone you straight back'
no phone call
surely if it failed the PAT test depsite the fact the light works fine, then there must be a reason for it failing which should be investigated or am i missing something
thanks
AC

richard ham
27-03-2010, 12:59 AM
I don't know why it was tested to begin with. When mines tested they do a visual inspection on the cable only.

Has the tester had his tester PAT tested lately?

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
27-03-2010, 07:54 AM
my PAT tester was mainly interested in the cables too, although he did connect them to some machine

RobMarsh
27-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Pat Testers (the instruments) have to be both calibrated and configured. The one I use I have to select different settings especially if testing an appliance that has any form of memory inside it. Depending on your lights, if they are digital, and the wrong setting has been made, this could be the casue.
The fitting should be checked with a known and certified lead, not your lead and fitting together as it is two items. If it is still failing the insulation and earth test, then I would suggest that the approach to the manufacturer is that you are working in a public place and that the test indicates a risk of the case of the unit becoming live and therefore dangerous to the public

andycampbell
27-03-2010, 10:01 AM
to test properly the cable is inserted in to the light or printer etc and the plug in to the testing machine with wire and bulldog type clip attached to a metal part of the appliance, this is the proper method of testing and if anyone is only checking cables with out plugging in then sorry but you are wasting your money

Alan Warner
27-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Guy's am i right or wrong in assuming their is no legal qualification required to do PAT testing & requirements are a bit open ?

http://www.pat-testing.info/who.htm

Alan

andrew waring
27-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Guy's am i right or wrong in assuming their is no legal qualification required to do PAT testing & requirements are a bit open ?

http://www.pat-testing.info/who.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alan

That is correct Alan.

RobMarsh
27-03-2010, 10:42 AM
to test properly the cable is inserted in to the light or printer etc and the plug in to the testing machine with wire and bulldog type clip attached to a metal part of the appliance, this is the proper method of testing and if anyone is only checking cables with out plugging in then sorry but you are wasting your money

Completely correct on this Andy and totally agree, if this is not being done, then the test is a waste of money

Alan Warner
27-03-2010, 10:45 AM
this minefield looks like an easy way to scam money to me...

Alan

JulianAustin
27-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Although items under a year do not need testing try explaining that to an over zealous event manger or shopping centre manager.
Also the OP stated that only one failed so I am guessing the PAT testers machine was working correctly unless he had the wrong settings for one and not the other which sounds unlikely.

And although any competent person can PAT test I would not want to take a course buy a machine and then at some point have to defend my competency in a court against a claim backed by a greedy well informed "where there is a blame there is claim" solicitor.

With reference to the OPs main question I think a quick visit to Trading Standards or Citizens Advice Bureau would give the correct answer.

Bryan Osborne
27-03-2010, 06:18 PM
I think I am correct in that you have no requirement to PAT any equipment that is less than 12months old if you can provide original receipts?

RobMarsh
27-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I think I am correct in that you have no requirement to PAT any equipment that is less than 12months old if you can provide original receipts?

Correct, but do you want to be carrying original receipts out to events. I certainly don't and it is easier to include everything on the PAT test in my view thus avoiding that problem