Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Outdoor extended range wireless setups.. [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor extended range wireless setups..

Jeremy Nako
17-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Sometime ago there was a fair amount of discussion about this on the forum (including my own).

If memory serves me correctly, there were a few people looking into solutions for this.

Did anyone come up with a cost effective but professional way of doing it ?

My solution kinda stalled when I realised that the cost was going to be around 4k, but there must a lower cost solution that doesn't involve car batteries and welding.

Anyone ?

simon coates
17-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Jeremy,

This is something that I am actively working on right at this moment. I hope to have news in the not too-distant future.....

Simon

Jeremy Nako
17-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Good man yerself !

Alan Warner
17-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Jeremy,

I kinda have to a point but got distracted with other things,

So Far

1400 Pelicase with 12v sealed lead acid battery powering Netgear wg302 access point for around 8hrs, unit functional but not set up, decided to make a bit more frendily for charging/switching to mains ect,

also wg102/3 would work in smaller cases

Will need help of Mike or Graham as I'm not too good with networking

Alan

Ed Brown
17-03-2010, 11:04 AM
If its around 1 mile your looking at then John Reilley is your man, when he did the drivers dream experiences he had a mast made. Pretty sure that wasn't anywhere near 4k. I know he is a member but not sure they post on here. I'm sure people know him to ask him.

All the best

Ed

Alan Warner
17-03-2010, 11:09 AM
sounds like a set up and a half,

mine is for a regular indoor job where we know we have a good taking position but the best selling position is 3 rooms away, and on a different floor,

The idea is to have 3 of these box setups Kensington locked ect in strategic positions.

hopefully by the time there in the selling area we have the images ready to go

I guess this would work pretty well with horses & football ect...

Alan

simon coates
17-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I am currently investigating a solution that would be self-powered (for around 20 hours), give at least a one mile radius from the sales station and be totally weatherproof and secure.

Depending on the costs involved, I might offer to sell this as a package solution or just rent it out to anyone who needs it short-term.

Simon

JulianAustin
17-03-2010, 06:10 PM
mine is for a regular indoor job where we know we have a good taking position but the best selling position is 3 rooms away, and on a different floor,

Although I have not seen professional units would the network units you plug in to electrical sockets work? One plugged in near you and the other plugged in at the selling room?

simon coates
17-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Although I have not seen professional units would the network units you plug in to electrical sockets work? One plugged in near you and the other plugged in at the selling room?

I can confirm that they do work.

Simon

Alan Warner
17-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi Julian & Simon,

Good point,

We did try one of these systems but according to the resident Tech Guy it did & would not work on this occasion due to the Venue having independent isolated mains systems on each floor & are not connected directly...

Alan

Alan Warner
17-03-2010, 07:17 PM
This is what it looks like !

JulianAustin
17-03-2010, 10:08 PM
We did try one of these systems but according to the resident Tech Guy it did & would not work on this occasion due to the Venue having independent isolated mains systems on each floor & are not connected directly...

Could you use one of the plug in systems to get to the room below the selling room and then wireless access point thingy up through the ceiling floor? Which for me is much easier said than done.

Alan Warner
17-03-2010, 11:07 PM
The venue is a Modern Concrete & Steel stadium !

Alan

Trudy Trafford
18-03-2010, 07:41 AM
This is what it looks like !

Hope it doesn't tick

Alan Warner
18-03-2010, 07:55 AM
LOL,

I have thought of that and have done a "Wireless Repeater" sticker to go in the place where Pelicase logo is i have also some of that Zig/Zag yellow tape that draws attention (hopefully not to theives)

Alan

Bryan Osborne
18-03-2010, 08:24 AM
It is possible to plug into a resident Enet Network at the sales end and the router nearer the capture area though in a lot of cases.? Anyone else tried this???

Alan Warner
18-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Did borrow a mates Netgear Pro 200mbps kit but it failed due to the power supply being split into various sections that are not directly connecting each other, to be honest this was not an unexpected result.

As a network engineer for BT he installs switches & BCM's so I think he knows his stuff...

So I went the WiFi route but as i said got distracted but need to have a solution very soon...

Alan

Bryan Osborne
18-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Try this link a few Tefal Heads reside here!

https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewto ... b6819a6e02 (https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56339&highlight=&sid=9958364cb5a5c1bf8fa86db6819a6e02)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bryan

Richard Chaff
18-03-2010, 11:16 AM
...a couple of items that look to be interesting:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-wl-bwe100.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdo ... c-2610.htm (http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging-eoc-2610.htm)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

john christopher
18-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Alan

I'm going to quote directly from the Fresh Prince:

"Tick, tick, tick, BOOM!" :omy:

Alan Warner
18-03-2010, 10:34 PM
John,

How do you know i just love that program,

named my daughter "Maiya" after one of the screenwriters...

Alan

26-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I have just bought one of these LINKSYS CISCO WRT54GS DD-WRT WIFI ROUTER SPEEDBOOSTER. The DD-WRT refers to third party software installed which gives you the ability to vary the power to the aerials and choose the channels within the G bandwidth with the least traffic.

I have also upgraded the aerials from 3.5Dbs to 9Dbs omni directional with the option to attach 12Db directional panel aerials to improve range even more. The router is 12v and can therefore be set up with a battery away from the workstation either as a router or as a bridge to another router etc.

Once the system is set up I will let you know how I get on