Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Nikon D700 & WT-4 [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D700 & WT-4

simon trafford
19-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Has anyone come across a plastic insert or something to help secure the usb cable to the camera socket? The ones which came supplied with the WT-4 unit do not fit the D700. :evil:

Over time the fitting has become very loose causing it to fall out now and again :cry:

20-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Has anyone come across a plastic insert or something to help secure the usb cable to the camera socket? The ones which came supplied with the WT-4 unit do not fit the D700. :evil:

Over time the fitting has become very loose causing it to fall out now and again :cry:
I'm not sure whether you mean it doesn't fit or is a poor fit? Have had no real issue with the same combo here with the supplied cable, but I have often considered cutting a small slit in the rubbery cover on the camera to help prevent cable tugging damage to a small extent.

You could also try crimpng the mini USB a tiny bit, or just try a new cable altogether? It is a good idea to carry a spare or two anyway.
HTH

Ed Brown
20-02-2010, 03:39 PM
personally we had problems with the originally supplied usb cable. replacing it did the trick. As said it is good to carry spares, good job most usb 2.0 cables for card readers have the same fitting.

all the best

simon trafford
21-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks Guys,

It did actually fail last night, in that the camera could no longer connect/recognise the wireless transmitter. In true event photographer risk management style we had a back up camera body.

Next job is to try and diagnose if it is the lead end that is worn/loose, although it was fine with the other camera body, or the actual port in the body - I'm hoping it's not the latter, otherwise it's off to the repairers :-(

simon trafford
22-02-2010, 01:52 PM
It is the USB socket that has failed so it is off to Nikon for repair, potentially two to four weeks and we don't know if it is under warranty until they have a look at it.

The cause of the failure is the strain caused by using that non-wireless, wireless device.

So what will stop it happening again? Nothing although I am going to get a right angle mini B - female A usb cable http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-2mbl01-72gl.html and velcro it to the side of the camera, at least that way any tension on the cable will not pull so much on the camera socket and will result in the cable coming undone.

Trudy Trafford
22-02-2010, 01:54 PM
It is the USB socket that has failed so it is off to Nikon for repair, potentially two to four weeks and we don't know if it is under warranty until they have a look at it.

In the mean time, we really need a back-up camera to the D3........

perhaps a D3s????????? :D :D :D :D

Peter Martin-Turner
22-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Having struggled with the autofocus on my D3 for 9 solid days through the half term, I was severely tempted by the thought of a new D3s. Using my backup annoyed me, for some reason I just cannot take to the D700 after using the D3 for nearly 18 months. I do try and I am sure it is a lovely camera but I don't know...

So the D3 is off for a well earned service holiday whilst I attempt to get to grips with the d700. I suspect I shall have to get the extra batter grip to make it feel like a grown up camera and extra shooting speed.

Business good then Trudy or are you just teasing your man with the prospect of a new shiny toy?

Trudy Trafford
22-02-2010, 03:55 PM
So the D3 is off for a well earned service holiday whilst I attempt to get to grips with the d700. I suspect I shall have to get the extra batter grip to make it feel like a grown up camera and extra shooting speed.

Isn't it funny, I had to use the D3 on Saturday & had the same thing but reversed! I love the D700,just right for girly hands, the D3 is quite a bit heavier and generally harder to handle for me. It also surprises me how different the images are from the two cameras with exactly the same settings.

Thats a total contradiction as I am anchoring after the D3s, but that's a completely different story!!

Business good then Trudy or are you just teasing your man with the prospect of a new shiny toy?

Business OK, we can't moan...

However it is my birthday on Friday (although in fairness to my lovely husband :D I have already had a f1.4 50mm & extra pocket wizards) the thought of only having one back-up while my trusty D700 is away terrifies me. We did ponder on purchasing a D300 for the socials but my argument is that we ought to get one which can handle everything we do, not just the social side of things. Plus me being so tense and stressed out for the 2-3 weeks whilst the D700 is away really isn't going to be very pleasant for Simon and our girls, so I don't see another way around it other than to purchase the D3s. We can always sell the D3 when we get my D700 back (woman's logic!!!!)