Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Problem with Hiti 710L [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Hiti 710L

06-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I've recently experienced a problem with the media of my hiti 710. the paper actually ran out when it said there was 30 images left on the ribbon. I've checked the ribbon and there is indeed 30 images left (120x full frames)
I purchased the printer from system insight back in December and when I purchased it I paid an extra £100 for the extra cover which among other things includes technical support within the hour.
I contacted system insight yesterday around 2pm and was told they had staffing issues but I would be contacted asap. Unfortunately I've not heard from them since my phone call.
I find this a little disappointing to say the least. admit tingly I'm only a small concern and I don't spend thousands of pounds a month on media etc. However i should still be a valued customer surely?. It seems i've been brushed under the carpet, with a view i'll just purchase more media and be quiet. 30 images is £220 in lost revenue to me, a loss none of us can afford to lose in the current climate..
I am starting to wonder why I purchased the extra cover!!!!

The media was only removed from the printer 4 times for travelling (as recommended by SI's technical guys), from experience with mitsi printers there's always plenty of paper left when the ribbon runs out, surely it should be the same with the HiTi??
Has anyone else experienced the same problem, if so could you please contact me as it doesn't seem i'm going to get any help from System insight.

Andy Starkey
06-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I'll jump in before someone else does.

The media and ribbon on the p710l are matched for 9x6 prints (at 310 per roll iirc). With a dye sub when you print and image it uses 1 sheet of colour and overlay (CMYK) per print. Now if you print 9x6 and don't have too much reset wastage then you will get 310 prints per roll of ribbon and paper. However if you print at 8x6 you will still get 310 prints but you will also get 300 * 1 inch of unused paper per roll. Scary I know but that's how dye subs work sort of. The only option would be for hi-it or olmec, or shinko or whomever to do roll/ribbon matches.

The ribbon is the fixed media cost for this printer.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Andy
Infinite Images

Mike Weeks
06-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Andy,

it was the paper that ran out though :ugeek:

Mike

06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Many thanks for your input Andy. I understand your post but was assured before i bought the printer that it would print 310 6x9 images and the media (paper)allowed for reset wastage. I wanted a printer that was capable of printing 6x9 prints as i like the extra size as i find the general public see it as good value for money compared to the 5x7 prints etc.
It does look however that i'm going to have to change to 6x8 prints (using the same media pack) to guarantee i get the 310 images per pack of media. which means i'll have to restock with 6x8 mounts. All this before a large 2 day event...
oh and i've just noticed the media has gone up nearly £20 per pack it just gets better lol.

Andy Starkey
06-05-2009, 02:13 PM
enage brain and read post before replying... Sorry.

I'm not sure why you should be so short on paper vs ribbon. Not something I've ever had happen with my 710. I've always run out of ribbon before paper, but then I pretty much solidly run at 8x6. Even with media issues, resets aside I can't see there being such a discrepancy.

Anyone from SI or PM care to comment (as we all know and are often told they are the same as the Shinko/Olmecs so I'd guess the guys from PM have a view or answer.

Mike Weeks
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Andy,

the media comes from different manufacturers so what applies to one will not apply to the other. I do agree with your comments though about ribbon running out first is the normal situation.

Mike

Mark Amies
06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't know why it is happening , sorry.

This is SI's shout.

Andy Starkey
06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Mark,

appreciate the comment and I hope SI will be as quick in responding. However.

Given that the printers (in terms of hardware at least) are almost identical. One would have to assume there would be little difference in the media, or am I sounding a little dim (which given my earlier response is a critisicm I would accept). But given that both printers are the same base hardware and both media packs contain the same 'headline' print count it is not a big leap to assume that the media is essentially the same.

Having said that the only possible difference would be the 'tollerances' each manufacturer puts into the media packs. The ribbon is a given as this has to do at least 310 9x6 prints, so the only variable is the paper unless the other (olmec/shinko's) don't throw the usual 4 cut off's on a reset, can anyone confirm or deny?

It's an interesting discussion point, unless of course, and here's a question. Was the ribbon and paper changed together???? The first time I had a ribbon run out I was slightly shocked at how much paper was left and was tempted to just change the ribbon. If this had been done then it might/may explain things.

Andy

06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Mark,

appreciate the comment and I hope SI will be as quick in responding. However.

Given that the printers (in terms of hardware at least) are almost identical. One would have to assume there would be little difference in the media, or am I sounding a little dim (which given my earlier response is a critisicm I would accept). But given that both printers are the same base hardware and both media packs contain the same 'headline' print count it is not a big leap to assume that the media is essentially the same.

Having said that the only possible difference would be the 'tollerances' each manufacturer puts into the media packs. The ribbon is a given as this has to do at least 310 9x6 prints, so the only variable is the paper unless the other (olmec/shinko's) don't throw the usual 4 cut off's on a reset, can anyone confirm or deny?

It's an interesting discussion point, unless of course, and here's a question. Was the ribbon and paper changed together???? The first time I had a ribbon run out I was slightly shocked at how much paper was left and was tempted to just change the ribbon. If this had been done then it might/may explain things.

Andy

Hi Andy

The ribbon and paper were indeed changed at the same time, i'm the only person that loads the media (wouldn't trust anyone else lol, and if i drop a clanger then it's my fault!!).

I always do this as i'm aware you can't buy the ribbon and paper separately, and up until now i knew exactly how much i had left in the printer!!

Mark Amies
07-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Andy

Yes the OP1000 and the HiTi P710L are both made by Shinko, and are pretty much the same. The print media is different. ICI made their own for the OP1000, and Hiti had their own supply too. The printers are electronically configured to accept only the print media matched to the branding. ( Yes, we have had discussions about the OP1000, and there will be a change there, but I really cannot be expected to comment about the HiTi machine).

Let's give SI the chance to get on top of this. I can only assume that they have been very busy - it is a busy time of the year for the market.

08-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Well just an update folks, 72 hours and still no phone call from the tech guys at SI.
It looks like i've just been brushed under the carpet in the hope i'll forget about it.

I've just emailed HiTi direct to see if they can help me, seeing as though there uk distributer has so far failed to help in any way..

08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Full marks to HiTi they have just phoned me after just 30 minutes of recieving my email.

Hopefully the issue will me sorted out soon

12-05-2009, 08:34 AM
It gets even better, i ordered a pack of media on thursday from Si, I phoned this morning to see where it was as i have an event tonight (fortunately i've enough for tonight). AND THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MY ORDER!!!.

Nothing was mentioned about my problem with the HiTi until i reminded them. It's been a week now and still nothing has been sorted. All i can say is i WON'T be using SI to purchase another sub dye, there very good at returning your calls etc when you enquire about buying a sub dye but once you've purchased one, it goes down hill. All you seem to get from the staff is there short staffed and it's not always staff from Si your talking to on the phone when you ring up!!!.

Even though System insight is a member on this forum i've never recieved a pm or email from them..... says it all really...

Andy Starkey
12-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi,

what did hiti come back with out of interest?

regards

Andy

12-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi,

what did hiti come back with out of interest?

regards

Andy

I'm still waiting for the tech team to get back to me but i have recieved an email from them today stating there going to get back to me about the problem.
I've just ordered 6x8 mounts as it looks like i'll have to resort to printing 6x8's instead of the 6x9's i usually use. I just can't afford to lose 30 images a pack..

Stuart Morley
12-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I will investigate into this matter and report back on open forum if this is the way you prefer to be contacted.

"Even though System insight is a member on this forum i've never recieved a pm or email from them..... says it all really..." - If you wish us to respond to your problems may I suggest in future picking up the telephone as we don't monitor the internet for customer queries and problems. This matter was bought to our attention by a satisfied customer of ours who was very surprised at your experience.

The vast majority of our customers are most happy with the level of service we provide and we have never said that we will not sort out your problem.

"it's not always staff from Si your talking to on the phone when you ring up!!!." - I would like to know who you spoke with as I am unaware of anyone but System Insight staff that answer the phone here.

I believe you were called back the very same day to help you with your problem but I will investigate further and report back on open forum.

Kind Regards

Stuart

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

Stuart Morley
13-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Update:

Having checked into this I can confirm the following:

On your orginal call you spoke to Mel who was unable to put you through to tech support but went to visit them in person with your query. You were phoned back by Mel within the hour with some advice and the matter was left in your hands.

We were then notified by HiTi of your problem. We advised them we would call you again as the matter was unresolved and they told us that they were dealing with it now as you had involved them rather than come back to us.

As for your order placed on the 7th May which was delivered to you on the 11th (within our standard 2-3 day delivery). The person you spoke to could not originally find your details and so called you back within 10 minutes to avoid you holding on the phone. During this time you order was delivered to you and your order "found" (you have two records on our system) The reason that despatch knew nothing about your problem is not something I find unusal, however you refused the option of being transferred to tech support as you were now dealing direct with Hi-Ti

As for your loss of £220 pounds, you have in fact only lost the images themselevs at cost price (£10) not selling price (unless you didn't have any spare media to hand at your event). We will place a credit on your account for the number of prints you have lost although we are still to understand why this has occured and at this point cannot confirm that it is a machine fault.

You also phoned yesterday (Tuesday - before we were made aware of your forum post) and Steve phoned you back within a few hours.

Kind Regards

Stuart

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk

13-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I can not prove on an open forum what has or has not been said by your staff or myself.However with all due respect your version of events is somewhat different to mine.

Because of this may I ask Mike to close this topic as I value this forum, and do not wish this thread to turn into a slanging match.
I have thought about my decision long and hard and had a half page answer which I nearly posted but I decided to restrain myself, as it wouldn't have helped in the slightest to finally resolve the issue.

The main reason I posted the topic on the forum is I'm aware other members on here have the same machine and wondered if anyone else experienced the same problem.
I would not of posted this topic if I was happy with level of service I received when I first contacted SI about the problem and I requested help from technical support, upon not receiving that support I felt I had no other alternative than to contact customer services at HiTi.