Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Eye-Fi Update [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Eye-Fi Update

richard ham
04-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I've successfuly used the 4 gig eye-fi upto 70ft and i'm well impressed.
Just purchased a 32" tft tv and an Apple Tv which has now caused problems.

I need the Apple Tv to operate on 802.11n but the Eye-Fi only operates on b or g, not N.
I have to choose between using the Eye-Fi or Apple Tv but not both.
I thought all was lost and that I would have to Shell out for the WT-4 but I have just found that Eye-Fi are releasing an 8gig Pro card with 802.11n support.
This will transfer quicker and have a bigger range so looks even better!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UT ... B002UT42UI (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UT42UI?ie=UTF8&tag=wwweyefi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002UT42UI)

RobMarsh
04-02-2010, 04:52 PM
The cards you are referring to are not officially available in the UK. Amazon are "grey importing" them and Eye-fi UK will not offer support on them

But yes the N transfer speed is good

philhynds
04-02-2010, 04:53 PM
What on earth are you both on about?

RobMarsh
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM

The Eye-Fi wireless card system, of which I am an authorised reseller, is a system that is independant of camera manufacturer, sits in an SDHC slot or in a suitable CF adaptor and gives pretty much anybody the ability to have wireless shooting back to the PC.

The b,g, and N are communication protocals and speeds on wireless networking

Alan Warner
04-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Why not add a second WiFi Router,

One for Apple TV, One for Eye Fi !

Al007

philhynds
04-02-2010, 05:17 PM

The Eye-Fi wireless card system, of which I am an authorised reseller, is a system that is independant of camera manufacturer, sits in an SDHC slot or in a suitable CF adaptor and gives pretty much anybody the ability to have wireless shooting back to the PC.

The b,g, and N are communication protocals and speeds on wireless networking

Thanks.

Is this a better alternative to the Canon wireless system? By "better" I mean cheaper.

Alan Warner
04-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Absolutely,

If distance is not a priority the Eyefi cards are great value for money !

cleaver use of long CAT5 LAN cable and Wifi router placement can extend the usefulness of any Wifi device...

Al007

philhynds
04-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Absolutely,

cleaver use of long CAT5 LAN cable and Wifi router placement can extend the usefulness of any Wifi device...

Al007

How do I get involved?

RobMarsh
04-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Absolutely,

Al007

How do I get involved?

Depends what you mean by "get involved"

You would need to purchase an eye-fi card, possibly a suitable CF adaptor, and a wireless router

What camera are you shooting on. The only one I know that will not work is the Nikon D700 as that has a CF 1 slot not a CFII slot like most others and the UK supplied eye fi cards are SDHC. The CF adaptor accepts them and goes to CFII

Basic costs are, eye-fi home - £50
CF adaptor £15
plus VAT and carriage

I do offer demo's of the system, can reccomend suitable wireless routers if you don't already have one, and if you buy via myself, am happy to offer telephone support

You can also buy the card via amazon, it is a grey import and is unsupported by UK support, you can buy cf adaptors from a lot of places and they might be cheaper, but not all are suitable

Alan Warner
04-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Sorry,

by long cable I mean connect a 40-50+ ft one instead of the 3ft one that came with the router, no different in set up only a very long cable, that's the easy bit...

Al007

jeremysutton
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Has anyone else seen the first release of the new Eye-fi card ?
8GB + Draft N !!!!!!
no release date yet..

richard ham
04-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Why not add a second WiFi Router,

One for Apple TV, One for Eye Fi !

Al007

Alan,
You sound like a man in the know!

I can run both using g protocol which is fine if the Apple tV is close by, but if I need the extra range that n offers i'm stuffed.

I do have a second Pre-N router free but how can I run two without utilising a second laptop?
There is only one network card within the laptop.

Is there a way?

Mike Weeks
04-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Normally you could have an access point on channels 1, 6 & 11 but n actually uses a wider channel effectively taking 1 & 6 or 6 & 11. Place a small switch on the output and you can run both. Ethernet cable to switch, cable from switch to each router/access point. You then just need to sort out the addressing.

Mike

Alan Warner
04-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Richard,

Do you have a PCMCIA card slot, if so you could use a LAN card like the one below

http://www.8starshop.com/en/10-100m-pcm ... rrency=GBP (http://www.8starshop.com/en/10-100m-pcmcia-ethernet-internet-lan-card-rj45-laptop.html?language=en&currency=GBP)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think there are also USB-RJ45 adapters (i think)

You may be able to use a hub and connect the two routers to the hub,

Unfortunately that where my know how stops, Mike & Graham helped me with my canon wifi config !

Al007

Alan Warner
04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
This may work

http://www.techfocus.co.uk/USB-Adapters ... TFPC03.htm (http://www.techfocus.co.uk/USB-Adapters-Dongles/TFPC03.htm)

Al007

richard ham
04-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Cheers chaps.
I'll try each of these options and see how I get on.

As soon as they release the new Eye-Fi card then I can run both from the same router.
I've done this on g and it works fine.

Alan Warner
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Mikes method is probably the best way, if you know how to sort that network addresses,

Pcmcia will be similar to setting up built in LAN

Al007