Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Picasa 3.6 [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Picasa 3.6

Peter Martin-Turner
03-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I was offered the latest version of Picasa as an update and to my delight have just discovered that it now allows you to add a custom crop of 5x7. Hence I can now use it at events to offer 5x7 prints. Normally I offer 6x9 but there are times when 7x5 is the right dimension, for me anyway.

I know we don't all use Picasa but for those that do, I'm sure this is welcome news.

andy rees
03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I was offered the latest version of Picasa as an update and to my delight have just discovered that it now allows you to add a custom crop of 5x7. Hence I can now use it at events to offer 5x7 prints. Normally I offer 6x9 but there are times when 7x5 is the right dimension, for me anyway.

I know we don't all use Picasa but for those that do, I'm sure this is welcome news.

Just about to get myself a new little Apple laptop for events an will get this straight away . Many thanks for the info :-)

richard ham
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Picasa is fab for the event tog's needs, but alas it has just a few things missing.
If it had dual monitor display (as Faststone does) and custom print sizes then it would be perfect for my needs.

Guess i'll stick with Fastsone for a while longer.

Ian Calderhead
03-02-2010, 09:55 AM
As much as I would like to download this software and use it, unfortunately, it will not run on my Apple Mac G5 ppc. It requires a Intel cpu. I have also tried to download it onto my laptop running windows xp but again for some unknown reason it just hangs, it downloads ok and the icon is on my desk top but when I double click it . . . nothing.
I'v given up with it and will stick with Photoshop and i-photo.

Stuart Morley
03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
As much as I would like to download this software and use it, unfortunately, it will not run on my Apple Mac G5 ppc. It requires a Intel cpu. I have also tried to download it onto my laptop running windows xp but again for some unknown reason it just hangs, it downloads ok and the icon is on my desk top but when I double click it . . . nothing.

You might be able to run Virtual PC or Mac and then run it?

Kind Regards

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Mark Amies
03-02-2010, 03:34 PM
As no one has asked yet, which printer is being used?

Peter Martin-Turner
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
In this instance I am using an Olmec.

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
As mark may well be alluding to, Picassa, good as it is , is NOT suitable for use with the DNP DS40 (possibly the DS80, but I havent tried that)

When printing you will get tiny white pinstripes vertically down the image.

a damn shame as picassa is very powerful for the price!

Bop Chodda
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi Scott, we use the DS40 with Picassa without any problems. Do you get a white line down the edges? If so, select the fit image to page, other than that we have never had any problems.

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Bop,

I had the offending problem pointed out by Paul Rogers, he had noticed it (while trying out a printer I believe)

I got my DS40 from PM, got it home, plugged it in, tried my first image, white pinstripes throughout the image, top to bottom approx 10mm apart.

What OS & version of picassa are you using? I know both paul & myself are using Mac OS X

Ian Calderhead
03-02-2010, 11:46 PM

You might be able to run Virtual PC or Mac and then run it?

Kind Regards

Stuart

http://www.systeminsight.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Stuart,

This problem has been an ongoing one for me for a few months now, I bought a copy of Parallels Desktop for mac and asked the chap I bought it from if it was compatible with Mac power pc's, his reply was. . . "absolutely" needless to say, when it arrived by post it said on the box "for intel-based Macintosh Systems"
Gutted, couldn't be bothered sending it back so it's up for grabs if anyone wants it for free.

Still don't know why it wont run on my laptop though !

Ian :puter:

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
04-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Ooh, yes please ian!! Been thinking about parralells!

Ian Calderhead
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
This is NOT a bribe :lol: but if you can make it to the meeting Saturday I will bring it with me. Call it . . . an incentive :rofl:

Bop Chodda
04-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Scott, we are using win XP SP3 with Picasa 3 installed. Had no problems at all.
We also purchased our printer from PM.

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
04-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Good incentive ian, just waiting to find out if my wife is teaching saturday morning, if not then I'll be down

Natalie-Briggs
05-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I have also found that i cannot use Picasa with my DS40 !
Not pinstripes in my case but it will only print letterbox shapes ? VERY strange !?!

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
05-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Righto then, just done a little test,
downloaded parallels to test it out, stuck on an old copy of XP, downloaded picasa 3.6 for windoze.

No white stripes, so it appears to be mac only problem (for me anyway)

So looks like I'll be using windoze for the time being (until I can justify/ afford ED core9)