Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Major canon 580EX problems [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Major canon 580EX problems

petergettins
22-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Has anyone got any thoughts on something which is royally screwing me at the moment?

I've got 2 1D2 bodies (one is the N) with 2 580ex flashes & 2 Quantum Turbos. For the last few weeks something v weird has started going on. I'm shooting manual on the body around 1/125 & f5.6 with the guns on ETTL. For a while it's all fine, then I get shots where the flash has burnt everything out, as if they are on manual full power, even though they are still on ETTL. This can go on continuously, it happens with the turbos & without, on both bodies & with both guns & all combinations thereof.

It is a nightmare; today I was doing a couple of jobs, one where I had a photocall that I had to re-shoot about 15 times. It was excruciatingly embarrassing. At least I could re-do it, but there are many times when I can't.

I'm at a loss. I know how to work with flash so now I've shifted to setting them on manual power & doing enough test shots to figure out how much power, but this is a major problem. The only thing I can think of is that the flashes have both had some circuitry problem. & are experiencing the same result.

Any help would be v much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

john wright
23-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Check the screws are tight that hold the camera shoe in place on the camera. These are located under the thin black plate in the shoe itself. Lift the side of the plate with a finger nail and this will allow you to push it backwards and out.

Whilst the plate is out clean the flash contacts on the camera with a soft rubber eraser.

This will probably fix it but if not then everything else is internal and it is a trip to Canon.

John

gary evans
23-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I would be very surprised if two flashguns have developed the same fault at the same time, and I would be tempted to look for a common deminator which will almost certainly be your camera.

As John says, check the connections are clean and tight for a start and if you can find anything wrong there, then go for a camera service as in the long run its worthwhile to have it done anyway.

As an aside, I have replicated this problem this morning using a 1dmk2 and a 580 gun with the same settings you used, and the flash would overpower a shot if I had focused on a dark object. I could solve it by simply turning the camera off manual on to AV or TV. Worth a look??

petergettins
23-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. A number of people are suggesting it's the contacts, so I'll have go at cleaning them & see how that goes.

Cheers

Pete

steph burnett
25-01-2010, 11:41 AM
just wanted to add that I was having similar trouble with mine last year and it turned out to be dirt on the sensors - the rubber trick resolved it short term but it came back so I got some contact cleaning solution from maplins, gave everything a good clean with that and some cotton buds and haven't had any trouble since!

RobMarsh
25-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Another good cleaning method is to get down to a model railway shop. They sell track cleaning rubbers. Like a pencil rubber but with graphite or something in them, designed for cleaning and improving electrical contact.

petergettins
25-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I've cleaned them with the pencil rubber & they were pretty dirty tbh A few quick tests so far have seemed OK. Is this the stuff you used Steph? I'll give it a go.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thx again for your help

Cheers

Pete