Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Help using a 24"+ roll fed inkjet to print ? [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help using a 24"+ roll fed inkjet to print ?

Alan Warner
22-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Guys

I've used an Epson stylus 7800 pro for the last few years along with a Fuji Hunt RIP,

Normally I just send lets say 6 12"x8" & 4 11"x11" prints to the RIP and they are placed on the paper in the most economical way, (3x2 & 2X2)

I'm having a few problems with the RIP and urgently need to use an alternative Program to print 30 11"x11" prints whilst I sort the RIP issues.

Question:
I hav'nt used photoshop to print for 4 years

and Im asking can/how does Photoshop CS4 print directly print side by side layout/automatically with minimal wastage/hastle, I also have lightroom 2.4 all on the MAC.

Or any alternative suggestion would be great !

Al007

andrew waring
22-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Alan,
Have you tried using Express Digital and creating a border? I know you're used to using ED. Not ideal I know but maybe sort you out in the short term untill you sort something else out? With the pro version you can use photoshop to edit and bring it back into ED to print.

Alan Warner
22-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks Andrew,

I did think of doing the exact same thing then forgot again

I will give a go Later

Regards
Alan

Andy Haynes
22-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Alan,

If the above mentioned doesn't work or you need any more help feel free to give me a call anytime tomorrow (23rd) before 16:00. I've got CS4 and Lightroom and use them exclusivly to run my printers and I can talk you through it on the phone. There are various ways of doing varying from labour intensive (in PS) to less so (PS actoins) to easy (LR).

I suspect the simplest way would be to set a custom paper size in LR for 24" by 11", and a grid of 1x2. Select all the images and LR will make you 15 pages, each with 2 images, and send then to the printer. I don't have any Epson printers or any roll fed stuff, but I'm assuming if you tell the roll feed (via the driver via LR) that the paper is 11" wide then 11" will run through and you won't get any wastage. You could set some extra width if you need for cutting.

Hope that helps,

Alan Warner
26-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi Andy,

I've decided to go with the PS4 route 1st to get the jobs out of the way that have built up,

My customers have been very understanding and will be attempting to catch my self up over the christmas break.

Al007

Andy Haynes
26-12-2009, 12:45 PM
No worries, if you need any help just drop me a message.

Alan Warner
26-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks Andy,

I will Attempt to task on Monday so we will see,

Al007

Alan Warner
26-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Andy,

Having just Read this article & a number of CS4 lightroom seems the way to go once ive set up the driver, I was looking at making a template in CS4 but seems easier to replicate in lightroom 2.4.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1146498

Al007

Alan Warner
28-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Update

Ok so Ive managed to get the profiling sorted great colour but am stuck at the printer paper handling, cutting ect...

I'm not too sure of the setting for the paper size appears to be super A1 borderless

but its giving me a 24" x 36" page with the image placed centrally and 12"x 24" waste at either end of the page...

In all the years of owning roll fed printers and Photoshop,

I simply don't print from photoshop !

Al007

Andy Haynes
28-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Alan,

Now you've got the drivers sorted it would be easiest to use LR. However, regardless of the programme the paper size is set in the printer driver, and given that it's roll fed there should be an option to add a custom paper size.

In LR click on page setup in the print module, select the printer in the drop down and click properties then try to find something that looks like the option to control the paper size. Set a paper size 12x24, and OK out of the option page and then the page setup page. You now should see that the paper size has changed, you can select the image to print, set the cell size to be 11"x11", 2 rows and 1 column per page. When you select all the images LR will make you enough pages to fit them on.

In PS make an image that is 12x24, put two photos on it, then go File -> print then select the printer in the drop down then clcik page setup, then as above look for something that looks like an option to adjust paper size, or (more likely) add a custom paper size. Add a paper size that is say 12" wide to allow some room for cutting, and the full 24 inch of the roll. Then File -> Print, check the right printer and pages size are still selected and click OK.

Alan Warner
28-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Update:

The main problem seems to be with the way the paper is being cut/used by the driver, I'm just not used to so much waste almost 50% either side of the prints when printed from the roll,

I've been in contact with Udo from Atmos Designs and asked him to make a few dedicated CMYK profile for my 7800/Lyson Ink combo, they should be with me later this week.

Printing single sheets direct from photoshop/lightroom is no real problem once the colour profile is correct so I've decided to buy a qty of cut sheets for the one off prints (although i could just cut lengths off the roll as and when I require)

I'm not really interested in using the Rip, only that it works & with the right setup & colour profile it does 100% so I'm probably back to square one, but I at least know how to prints direct from photoshop/lightroom

Al007