Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Making Changes [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Making Changes

Mike Weeks
10-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I know that a number of you are using the software but what I dont know is what bits you are using and which bits you are not i.e. does anybody actually use it in the non keyboard mode? or does has anybody actually had somebody save the album and come back to it later?

There is an issue with the pdf library and later versions of WAMP (never worked on MAMP) so I may have to drop this feature.

My plans are to change the CSS so that it will fit to any size screan easily and secondly to try to make it more touch screen friendly but what I need to know is what facilities would people like to see, what functions do not work as they would like and what functions can be dropped.

For me it does what I need at present but I am open to ideas to improve it.

Mike

RichardHobson
10-12-2009, 10:13 AM
The way I'm using it is as follows.

* I use it in non keyboard mode as I'm currently finding at the events I'm mostly doing people aren't saving albums for later viewing and a keyboard just clutters up the place.

* I'm not using the control panel at all, although I may well do in the new year when sales will be remote to viewing - i.e. in a trailer.

* I increase the number of rows on a page to 100 or more so that all the images in a folder fit on one page and customers scroll rather than clicking to next page. I find it quicker and more intuative for them.

* I don't print any invoices etc

* I use the special offer and titling options

* I use the discount and pricing options to show customers the pricing

I think that's about it apart from to say Thank You.

Graham Taylor
10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
At the moment my setup is simple and basic. No keyboard just mouse. No ordering options as we just write the orders down on a slip which is returned to the customer (with our details on) with the print.

Would like to see the large image even larger if poss as a few people have asked if it can be fuller screen. This may be possible now but not had change to look. Would it also be possible to add as option when selecting the large image to display along side a price list/order option but not as a drop down menu. I may be using it more for some of my sports events next year but need to plan out how I want it to run. This would stop customers asking "how much" as it will be displayed along side the image.

I also had a problem including my logo as its not squarish more rectangle so had to play around re-sizing until it fitted. Maybe if the logo could be repositioned at the top of the screen my help.

I'd also like to know if a screensaver mode may be possible. If so could it run from a folder with certain images? What I had in mind was a folder showing various items we sell such as keyrings/fridge magnets/mousemats etc. Just something that would kick in after a few mins of non use. Automatic advertising when customers are not viewing.

Mike Weeks
10-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Would like to see the large image even larger if poss as a few people have asked if it can be fuller screen. When I change the CSS this will be possible due to screen sizes.

Would it also be possible to add as option when selecting the large image to display along side a price list/order option but not as a drop down menu.
something that should not be too difficult.

I also had a problem including my logo as its not squarish more rectangle so had to play around re-sizing until it fitted. Maybe if the logo could be repositioned at the top of the screen my help.

Again the CSS changes should help here.

I'd also like to know if a screensaver mode may be possible. If so could it run from a folder with certain images? What I had in mind was a folder showing various items we sell such as keyrings/fridge magnets/mousemats etc. Just something that would kick in after a few mins of non use. Automatic advertising when customers are not viewing.
The slideshow already does this but uses the images loaded, should not be difficult to use an alternative image list.

Mike

Graham Taylor
10-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Be ready to download tomorrow then? :rofl:

Mike Weeks
10-12-2009, 01:04 PM
If you are good, yesterday, but only after I have told you. Have you looked at the changes that I made after your last request?

Think I am off to see the guvnor in Harry Brown tonight so might be the day before yesterday.

Mike

Graham Taylor
10-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Have you looked at the changes that I made after your last request?

Mike

:shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mike Weeks
11-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Having started the change to the black style sheet (CSS) and reconfigured the Slide and Index page - they look exactly the same but for screen resolutions greater than 1024 wide all that you will need to do is choose a new size for the thumbnails and the large image. This has a knock on effect of requireing more bandwidth which is why I originally went for the 1024 wide setting however you can set what you think will work. I need to finish all the other pages as well as amending the other style sheets

I will remove the height setting on the Logo so it will still remain at 280px wide and the other elements such as navigation will slide up or down dependant upon the height of the logo you use.

As soon as I get this done I will let you know.

Mike

Graham Taylor
11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks Mike, great job.
Just as an after thought how big a job would it be to convert this into a web gallery. Assuming most of the options are there could it work or just one step too far?

Mike Weeks
11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Graham,

essentially it would work but the issue is security - I do not know, because I have not tested it to see what security implications there are. Secondary implications are that this is working to a local database whereas on-line it would normally use a remote database. Personally I think I will try to get all the bits working on-site before I would consider such a leap.

Mike

Graham Taylor
11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Understood. It was more of an after thought as I know quite a few online gallery software can be used offline. My thoughts are if Event View can be used as online it would save quite a lot of work as the galleries created onsite could then be just uploaded to the webpage.

I still use EOS Template for some of my web galleries and with the changes you are making would have a similar interface. Many of my customers like the option of viewing all the prices when looking at "full size" image. As EOS will have no further updates it is now rather limited by todays standards with only one folder level and no saved cart option.

Mike Weeks
15-12-2009, 09:41 AM
I have uploaded another amended version. It appears to run OK on JAlbum 8.3.5 but has issues with 8.5.3 and I am working on those - you can download earlier versions of JAlbum from their site. It should run OK with the latest version of WAMP - I am no longer getting the errors. I will add the JAlbum and WAMP versions as downloads on here as soon as I find the answers.

Mike

Graham Taylor
15-12-2009, 01:46 PM
I've downloaded older Jalbum 8.3.5 and latest Event View works ok. A couple of the issues reported such as watermark & overlay plus pricing/ordering/Entry (had to use Advance/user variable tab) are now resolved.

With the latest version of Event View it has various ordering options. Options available are 1. View only, 2. View & Offer (with jpeg offer image), 3. Use pricing with qty option, 4. Price list only.

Another change is the option of having the image number below the large image. Again this is handy if you name the event which appears at the top of the screen above the images.

Mike is also working on a few other updates and some issues involving new versions of Jalbum.

Event View is fantastic piece of software which is now versatile for almost any event (indoor and out) and of course its free!

Graham Taylor
17-12-2009, 08:32 AM
The issues with Jalbum 8.5.3 have not been totally resoved but mike does have a workaround. These are really only minor points involving creating the price stucture, company/event name & copyright details.

Option 1 is to use the Advanced/User Variable tab. Here you can alter prices, Company/Event name and your copyright details. This section actually overrides the same variables in the Event View skin.

Option 2 Delete all variables in Advance/User Variable tab which will allow you to use all settings in the Event View skin.

Event View now runs with the latest version of Wamp.

Mike Weeks
17-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I have just run an upgrade to JAlbum and installed the latest version of EventView and the problems that Graham mentions are only there if using an existing album file. Create a new one and no problem exists.

There are however some code errors that will not be noticed and some tightening up of coding by JAlbum that I need to work on. As soon as I have the changes complete I will post a new version.

Mike

Graham Taylor
17-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Mike
Could I suggest that with the changes currently being made any new uploads be given a version no.? Just handy to keep track off which is being used. I'll also email you a copy of the files I've altered.

Mike Weeks
17-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Graham,

there is a version number on the JAlbum site and I have edited the info by the latest version. I will be adding version number comments inside the next version and hopefully I can get it to appear on the skin.

The latest version is 1.30

Mike

andy scothern
17-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi Mike I have just built up a new pc to run the Darkroom software and the Eventview instead for the old ish laptop and it all works fine with all the latest Wamp and Jalbum versions. But just on one af the ordering pages the copyright info is not complete but that is the only problem so a job well done yet again. I will be doing more testing of my new pc with the eye fi cards and touch screen for the selling station. Darkroom and the eventview work great together because you get the customer to place there order on the eventview then you just go into the orders in the www folder and then check the images with the customer and then batch print there order and job done. It's just so easy.

Thanks Andy

:diff:

Mike Weeks
17-12-2009, 11:17 PM
But just on one af the ordering pages the copyright info is not complete but that is the only problem so a job well done yet again.

Thanks Andy

Andy I had already spotted that and have got a solution and hope to post an updated version tomorrow. This used to work but recent updates in JAlbum have stopped it. You can get round it by removing the tick from the 'Include photographic data in generated pages' box under the advanced/Metadata tab.

I am currently in the process of adding about 300+ sets of curly brackets to make it more standards compliant.

We have been running it with Darkroom as well. Just set up an external drive which Darkroom uses as the backup. Wireless into Darkrooms FTP, EventView uses the backup drive and I bring the drive in with me at the end of the job to make online folders.

Mike

Graham Taylor
18-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Just noticed since updating to Jalbum 8.5.3 when adding copyright name it shows on index page but not on Slides page. This is copyright info that appears under offer/prices on right of screen. When I had to add this on user variables it appered on both but that option is not available since updating.

I've also altered buttons on "Pricing, Ordering & Entry" tab to read:

1. "Order With QTY" 2."Order No Prices" 3."Offer With Price List" 4."Price List Off" 5."View Only" I can follow this better maybe others dont have a problem with orignal layout.

"View Only" is really just a combination of 3. and 4. with Offer turned off.

I know Mike is spending time on Event View but now my only request left is option to increase number of price options. Well done Mike and thanks for spending time on these updates.

Mike Weeks
18-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Just noticed since updating to Jalbum 8.5.3 when adding copyright name it shows on index page but not on Slides page. This is copyright info that appears under offer/prices on right of screen. When I had to add this on user variables it appered on both but that option is not available since updating.

Graham,

see above.

Mike

Mike Weeks
18-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Version 1.3.1 now uploaded. Copyright now appears on slides.

Mike Weeks
18-12-2009, 11:07 PM
JAlbum 8.5.2 created a new way of working with empty folders which now means you can create your event structure and it just creates a blank index page (used to do nothing and cause problems) - no more errors. Just a lucky find on the JAlbum forum - fantastic news. Now that EventView works with the latest version it is worth upgrading.

Mike

andy scothern
18-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi Mike that is great news that it all working. Thanks for putting in your time to get it sorted because when used with Darkroom it is a great set up and well worth using.

Andy

:diff:

Mike Weeks
19-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I am working on changing the price tab to this;

Skin.jpg

Listening to how some use the skin I will also be adding in the ability to scroll the thumbnail section i.e. when you want all the thumbnails on one page.

slider.jpg

Just need to get some of the elements perfected.

Mike

Graham Taylor
20-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Now why didnt I think of that! At small numbered event I do change the thumbs per page so they can scroll down so that will be useful as it will still show the nav buttons and "offer".

Last night (and it happened once before) had an error refereshing the galleries. Cured by just reselecting server mode in Jalbum. Anyone else had this?

RichardHobson
20-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I am working on changing the price tab to this;

Skin.jpg

Listening to how some use the skin I will also be adding in the ability to scroll the thumbnail section i.e. when you want all the thumbnails on one page.

slider.jpg

Just need to get some of the elements perfected.

Mike

Now that's brilliant. I always use the scroll of images, but lose the offerso tis will be great. Thanks Mike.

Mike Weeks
20-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Richard,

it was your description of how you used it that made me think of it. I will hopefully have it all finished by early Jan.

Mike

Mike Weeks
27-12-2009, 09:55 AM
You wanted adverts and now you have got them. The first 6 priced items can be added to the cart, the other 6 are just for viewing at present. Scrolling system works and can be sized as required. Need something to do over Xmas.

Mike