Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
DS40 [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DS40

08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Finally getting my shopping list together and have been advised by a friend on here to go for the DS40 for 9x6 prints - I am looking at the DS80 but obviously cost of printer and media is a lot more. As I'm starting out, I believe that the DS40 would be fine for me, or, shall I push the boat out and go for the DS80? Will I need to crop my prints to get 10 x 8's? I understand the ratio of 3:2 and 5:4 so don't want to get a stress head on if I've got a queue of people wanting 10x8's which I've got to edit?

Help and advice please?

Cheers peeps

Kate

simon coates
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
If I were you, I'd go for the Ds40 to begin with and then add the DS80 later. You are right when you say that you'd have to crop for 10x8, but at 12x8 you wouldn't need to crop.

With the DS40, you are most likely going to be printing 9x6s, which is pretty much the defacto standard these days. If you go for the larger format printer, either you will have to charge more for your prints than the 9x6 folks do, or else you will have to accept less profit.

Don't forget that the larger prints also cost more when it comes to folders & mounts.

Simon

Trudy Trafford
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Katie,

I could be totally wrong here but from our experience I think you could be potentially limiting your market by only offering the larger prints which cost more to produce and therefore need to be more expensive to the customer.

I do get customers who say the 12x8's are too big, I suppose it depends on what you are shooting. For equestrian or sports or anything where the customer is likely to buy regularly then I sometimes hear 'I've got no where to put the big ones'. If it's a one off I doubt this will be such an issue.

I agree with Simon and say go for the DS40 to begin with (great printer!) Good luck!

08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Yep - think it's the DS40 I'm going to go for - thanks for the input guys, and Mike for giving me a bell x

Ian McGirr
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Katie

I would be interested to hear how you get on if you buy the DS40 as I'm also considering one compared to the Mitsi 9800.

Ta
Ian

Mike Weeks
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Ian,

essentially I doubt if you would see much difference in print quality. Speeds are virtually identical which means you need to look at other things. Prices are relatively similar although the DNP may have cheaper media I believe and weighs about 2/3s of the Mitsubishi. Both have MAC drivers. Mitsubishi have a much larger and firmly established userbase. The DS40 is essentially a Mitsubishi 3800 designed for 9x6 media so theoretically should have the same reputation for reliability and quality.

I have both the DS40 and DS80 and have been very impressed by the quality of image but my advice would be to go to a dealer and look at the machines yourself (take a test image or 2), both are good. Dont forget the VAT increase in January which will add about £20-25 on the price of one of these machines.

Mike

Ian McGirr
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Mike

That's more or less what I've been told by others on here.
Slightly slower print speed, BUT less weight and size and cheaper media.
Sounds good. Any other feedback from someone else with one would be appreciated.

Ian

Mark Amies
08-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Ian , with reference to the Mitsubishi 9800 , bear in mind this is now the 9810DW.

Trudy Trafford
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi Ian,

I totally echo Mikes points.

I have the mitsi 9550, not the 9800 but wanted another printer to do 12x8 prints.

We are selling the click and obviously can't use the printer with any other PC. We decided to go for the DS40 & DS80 because of the quality of the prints and the logistics of space. Both the printers fit neatly into their own flight case separated by a shelf which means the are extremely versatile whether we want to take the server with the VS's, or perhaps even just a laptop.

The quality is every bit as good as the mitsi and speed wise, by the time you have processed and sent three prints (which is our average order) took the money prepared the mounts & bags, the first one is out, then by the time you have popped that one in the mount and bag, the next one is ready and so on.

The only problem we had was a tiny white line to begin with but that was easily fixed.

We have no regrets whatsoever with buying these printers and are toying with the idea of buying another DS40 before the VAT increase!

Mike Weeks
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
The only problem we had was a tiny white line to begin with but that was easily fixed.

I take it that was the issue with DigitalExpress Darkroom.

Mike

Trudy Trafford
08-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Yes Mike it was.

Mike Weeks
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I have had the issue on other printers due to paper mis-alignment and theose happened from all softwares whereas we quickly identified that it was Drakroom on Saturday, just did not have the cure.

Mike

Trudy Trafford
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Think I saw from another thread you have sorted it now though Mike?

Kris Hunt
08-12-2009, 02:33 PM
I considered the DS40 and the 9810. I bought the 9810 in the end.

The reasons being that Mitsubishi's are the standard printer manufacturer for event guys and girls and it has a two year warranty.

I wish it was the size and weight of the DS40 mind. Placing a DS40 and DS80 in the same flight case would be appealing to me.

Kris.

Mark Amies
08-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Not wishing to upset anyone here, but I don't think it would be correct to say that the Mitsubishi was the standard- yes quite a few guys have them, but it would be wrong to set a precedent.

The fact is that there is a whole load of guys out there using allsorts - Mitsubishi, Kodak , Fuji, Copal, DNP, Sony, HiTi, Citizen, etc.

I am saying this in fairness to all, and because we are in the DNP section of the forum.

;-)

Mike Weeks
08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
The reasons being that Mitsubishi's are the standard printer manufacturer for event guys and girls
Kris.

Kris,

I would love to know what makes you think this as if you read the forums here you will see that although many use Mitsubishi there are many, many printers be used by many photographers and the one thing that there is not in event photography is a standard. What I would say is that it was Mitsubishi that really started the Dye Sub revolution and since then there have been many happy photographers and customers.

Mike

Natalie-Briggs
08-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I have the DS40 now and am very happy with it - used it in anger at the weekend and perfectly easy to set up and run, and great colours out the box

Even though its lighter than many others, its still rather heavy and was grat fun to lug up and down the 6 flights of stairs to / from my car 8-) . I dontknow how i would have managed with a heavier make / model

RichardHobson
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I have the DS40 now and am very happy with it - used it in anger at the weekend and perfectly easy to set up and run, and great colours out the box

Even though its lighter than many others, its still rather heavy and was grat fun to lug up and down the 6 flights of stairs to / from my car 8-) . I dontknow how i would have managed with a heavier make / model

That's my grumble with my mitsi - the weight. And it's the reason I've not put it in a flight case so far. I just couldn't lift it if it was.

Natalie-Briggs
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, these dye subs must be made of tough stuff !
I had mine in a flight case on Saturday but had nobody to help me get it back in the car until i collared an unsuspecting passer by :lol: Needless to say on Sunday i didnt bother with the case !

RichardHobson
08-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah, these dye subs must be made of tough stuff !
I had mine in a flight case on Saturday but had nobody to help me get it back in the car until i collared an unsuspecting passer by :lol: Needless to say on Sunday i didnt bother with the case !

When people used to ask if I wanted a hand with gear I always said no. But over the last couple of years I always say "yes please". I can then pass gear to them and make sure they handle it right and the jobs done with my back still in one piece. I must be getting old!

Kris Hunt
10-12-2009, 12:44 PM
If I upset anyone with my comments about the Mitsubishi, then I apologise, it was certainly not my intention.

The two year warranty is still a valid point though.