Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Low light capability... [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low light capability...

Jeremy Nako
07-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Not sure it's 'picture of the week', but for those considering a D700...

Handheld shot with available light straight out of camera..

Nikon 10.5 fisheye, f6.3 @ 1/160 ISO 6400

http://www.nakphotography.co.uk/images/masked%20ball%20sample.jpg

richard ham
07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Dear Santa..........

Mike Weeks
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Been using mine for just over a year and was blown away by the image quality at 5000-6000 ISO when shooting indoor equestrian and now they are £250 dearer than when I bought mine. It is without doubt an awesome piece of kit.

Mike

john christopher
14-12-2009, 08:30 PM
It's kit (and photography) like this that really gives the pro eventer that extra edge over the weekend amateur. Next year I'm looking at investing in a Canon 7D just for it's low light capabilities but even I (a lifelong Canon man) have to admit that the boys from Nikon are carrying the swing at the moment as regards out & out, pound 4 pound straight up ISO performance.

OOT: Don't you think that some of the examples of event photography which were published in Pro Photo were....POOR?

Mike Weeks
14-12-2009, 08:34 PM
OOT: Don't you think that some of the examples of event photography which were published in Pro Photo were....POOR?

Personally I am fairly happy with my images, so hope that that is me excluded. :oops:

Mike

gary evans
14-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Next year I'm looking at investing in a Canon 7D just for it's low light capabilities but even I (a lifelong Canon man) have to admit that the boys from Nikon are carrying the swing at the moment as regards out & out, pound 4 pound straight up ISO performance.

Have a look at the Canon 5D mk2, better (imo) than the 7. I posted some images in a different thread a few weeks ago

I thought the dance school image on page 54 was stunning ... totally brilliant. ;-) :D

Mike Weeks
14-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I thought the dance school image on page 54 was stunning ... totally brilliant. ;-) :D

Not bad :rofl:

Mike

gary evans
14-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Not bad

Praise indeed

:rofl:

john christopher
15-12-2009, 12:43 AM
For me the dance image was the only image which really stood out. Maybe I'm being a bit hyper-sensitive and over critical but I can't be the only one of the opinion that the quality of event photography overall that was on show wasn't exactly our finest hour.

15-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Having just looked over the magazine whilst having a break from editing here are my thoughts (no dis respect or any upset caused as it's only an opinion)

Firstly well done to all involved as it's quite a decent read, people must be doing something right to be asked to contribute to the articles:

Page 41

the top image :
I like this as it's a good representation of what people would take at an event. Obviously people will say there are technical errors, most photos have them yet to me its a good image and will have sold im sure.

Bottom left
Again nicely broad lit shot and a nice safe steady shot, people will prob mention the horizon distraction but i like it all the same.

Bottom Right
Nice solid saleable image

Page 42
Big image.
Spot on for me as a straight out of camera shot that is a sale every time
Bottom right
I like the expression and exposure, very nice image

Page 44

I like the crop and the connection between the 2 stares, it is well exposed and a nice image, I prefer our images to be more vibrant as that is our style however this may just be how it prints and may be a mis justice to the image.

Cheerleader image has captured the moment well, as i dont shoot these events who am I to criticise the technical points etc. It is a good image

Page 47

This is more my field so here goes:

the image with the ladies in my mind would look better in landscape as the hands are distracting, because its on a dark b/g when hands are flat they look massive as they are as big as your face its always a good idea to make the hands look as feminine as possible (which is difficult at an event I know). The expressions are good and it feels like a fun image.

Top Right.

Lovely image, was this shot with just a main light on left or with a fill also, I prefer this shot the most on this page.

Group Shot:

it is a shame about the shadow on the person at the back, whilst a very good image I think that perhaps all the blokes on the front or the two as they are and then 2 ladies the gent and 2 ladies would have looked better. Also getting people together would make for a great composition, having said that I like it and would expect that to have sold.

Page 48/49

Love all 3 images on that page, they sell week in week out and capture the essence of the moment. People with more knowledge may cast a different view but if they were my images id be happy to say they were taken by me as they are fab!

Page 50

this is not my cup of tea, however its got great expression and feeling of fun and will have sold. Not good of the mag to chop her hand off. Hands are either in or out! Love to see the full pic.

Page 54

To me this image every mother would buy, that is after all why we do this. Great pic, great head heights and it just works. like it

Again I am yet a mere photographer who has an opinion (sometimes) please do not take offence as I always rip my images to pieces. After all this is how we learn.

I do not shoot images in anything remotely close to the images on show as I have a completely different style. Our images are very vibrant and the black and white images very punchy and atmospheric. We have spend a great deal of time tweaking our camera settings and printers to get this feel straight out of camera so its just a slight crop at worst and then print.

This is our style, I like the fact that everyone has a different USP. Paul uses his noir approach to great effect, we have done loads of events with a dark background and shoot with a fine art studio style, so its a moody black and white image utilising loop lighting, short and long lighting, butterfly lighting etc. We love progressing our style and im sure everyone else does too. I have not met paul, however having worked with Simon and Trudy if they can praise Paul I would strongly recommend that you book one of his services as nobody knows everything and for that little price you could learn a lot or at least re fresh / re evaluate your own set up. Great site paul and I look forward in meeting you sometime soon.

I feel that the article provides a very realistic overview of what is going on now. After all yes the images im sure could be swapped for peoples best images however you are actually judged in my opinion on your worst.

Perhaps one day I or anyone else on here will get the chance to show what they can do and what makes their business different to others.

Hats off to all involved to take the time and put their neck out for others to be constructive.

Very well done and id love to have a chat with people as its great being on a forum but whats stopping us getting together now and then, a quick meal, few drinks, happy days.

This is a great place to be and long may it continue.

Well done everyone

all the best ed

Gareth Jones
15-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm page 42 and page 44, so thanks for the comments.

First of, I think the printing in the mag is not as good as it has been, and the paper's thinner than usual, that doesn't help the images. The two gymnastics photos are much punchier when printed on either a mits 3800 or an epson 3800 - I've sold both image multiple times.

The USP on these images is no one else can get these. A combination of location, D3, and timing. The split leap is as near perfect as I've seen ever in this gymnastic discipline - and Chrystal is the current British Champion because of this. I'm very satisfied I managed to capture this. The front foot is out of the depth of field :-( (1/400th at f3.5, iso 3200(

Thanks to Jeremy for the posing technique for the pg.44 couple. Yep, it's a bit punchier in real life.

Nothing technical about the cheerleaders - dark night with surprisingly crap lighting at the MadStad in Reading. They liked it - though I had to retouch the final image.

Mike Weeks
15-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm page 42 and page 44, so thanks for the comments.

First of, I think the printing in the mag is not as good as it has been, and the paper's thinner than usual, that doesn't help the images. The two gymnastics photos are much punchier when printed on either a mits 3800 or an epson 3800 - I've sold both image multiple times.

I noticed this in my images as well and agree with the difference in my own prints.

Mike

Paul Smith
15-12-2009, 02:09 PM
they chose not to use my equine images :oops: :oops: , both outdoors, but the shot they did use was a typical day at the office :P

The rest of the text is pretty much as supplied, but they chose to leave out the pre-amble about the fact that it has taken 5 years to become truly established and a sound financial footing (well as sound as it can be given that every season is different)

gary evans
15-12-2009, 02:13 PM
A horse in an office?

Paul Smith
15-12-2009, 02:15 PM
A horse in an office?

not as unknown as you might think, i have had a few wander into the awning :shock:

Gareth Jones
15-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Probably better behaved than most of the small footballers we get.....