Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Eye-Fi and Nikon D300 - some info to help [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Eye-Fi and Nikon D300 - some info to help

RichardHobson
04-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi folks,

Having just got my eye-fi rigged up to my D300 I thought I'd share.

1. CF adapter. Take the metal sides off. Don't stab yourself with the screwdriver whilst doing it as it hurts!

2. Change the setting for the auto switch off of the cameras meter in shoot settings. Initially mine was set to a few seconds but as soon as it switches off your transfer stops.

Setting it to a few minutes meant shooting loads and all transferring fine.

Did a few quick tests in the house at the sort of distance i'd be using it with the mobile studio - about 20 foot max. Will be testing further and will post the results.

Cheers

david swallow
04-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Richard

Did you try yours with the router not connected to the internet? Mine works fine when it is (my camera is a D2X) but as soon as I take the telephone cable out uploads stop. I have approached eye fi but they are next to useless with single line responses every few hours.

David

RichardHobson
04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I haven't tried it without the router plugged in yet. The new router for the event setup should be arriving tomorrow so I'll definitely give it a try and let you know.

Amanda Wigmore
05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi.
I've just done my first event (well 2 one last night and one this morning), using the Eye-Fi card.
Used with a Belkin Router, the distance it transfered over was around 60 feet. I have to say I was amazed with it. No leads, nothing to trip over and a really quick and easy set up. I set the auto metering on the camera to a few minutes and it transfered perfectly. Viewed in Windows picture and fax Viewer and printed from Serif photo 3. Easy. Oh and the Router was not conected to the internet.
If it stays reliable I'll definately be using it again..

x

RichardHobson
05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Great stuff Amanda. I'm itching to set my server up. The new router is sat here but I have to wait until two young boys and a young girl are in bed!

RobMarsh
05-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Richard

Did you try yours with the router not connected to the internet? Mine works fine when it is (my camera is a D2X) but as soon as I take the telephone cable out uploads stop. I have approached eye fi but they are next to useless with single line responses every few hours.

David

Possibly means you have a "Share" or "Pro" card with instant upload or geotagging enabled.

Goto your setup and turn them off.

There is no reason to have it connected to the internet. I have been using mine for nearly 12 months now, and it has never needed to be connected to the internet when in use, only whilst configuring.

david swallow
06-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks Rob, mine is a 2gb home but I think you are right, i have instant upload turned on I think. I'll give it another go and turn it off. I gave up on the card and shot tethered into Nikon Camera Control and set Picasa to watch the folder and the guests loved it! The bit I don't like is that Camera Control bypasses the CF card so you have no back up of the pictures. The eye fi does both, so it is worth another go.

David

Scott Kirk-Matthewson
06-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I am looking at one of these, it works in the D300, does it work in a D700??
I have searched about but the couple of posts I have seen are bemoaning the lack of the correct adaptor.

RobMarsh
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
I am looking at one of these, it works in the D300, does it work in a D700??
I have searched about but the couple of posts I have seen are bemoaning the lack of the correct adaptor.

I would be more than happy to sell you one, but my understanding is that the D700 has moved forward and only has a CF1 card adaptor, not a CFII

I now have 2 of the 2gb home cards and a new 4gb pro card for use when demo'ing to potential clients

RichardHobson
06-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Phew, what a journey so far!

New adsl router set up and after updating flash player, java and IE the eye fi setup was completed and all is working well now even when unplugged from phone line.

The next issue is one I can't quite get my head around.

The router is plugged into the network socket on the server PC. The network settings have therefore been changed to obtain IP address automatically and DNS server automatically.
The issue is then how can I use this in conjunction with Mike's event viewer software that requires my settings to be at 192.168.1.1

Anyone know?

Gareth Jones
07-12-2009, 12:14 AM
The router is plugged into the network socket on the server PC. The network settings have therefore been changed to obtain IP address automatically and DNS server automatically.

Two solutions

1. Don't obtain the network address and DNS automatically - no need on a small isolated network. Just set the IP address of the Server PC in control panel/networks to 192.168.1.1, subnetmask 255.255.255.0 Don't worry about the DNS, as that's only to look up host names and you're using IP addresses anyway. You'll also need to make sure that the router isn't using 192.168.1.1 as it's ip address, and that it's not part of the DHCP range tat gets automatically allocated.

2. In the DHCP aprt of the router configuration, assign a reserved IP address to the server. It will probably want the MAC address of the server in the configuration. A router normally tells you which machine are attached to the router, and will list their MAC addresses.

Choose either solution.
Or change index.php to the ip address of your server in the software - bit naughty having hard coded IP addresses in there really.....

RichardHobson
07-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Ok, that looks fairly straightforward. I'll let you know! Thank you.

jeremysutton
07-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Richard

David

Hi David,

My colleage had the same issue.. If I remember it was a Vista issue and I cured it by changing the Vista network setting from "HOME" to "PUBLIC".

Regards

Jez

Mike Weeks
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Richard

the Ip address is not hard coded in my software, there is actually a box to enter it (last tab), this is due to MAC issues and if some ongoing tests work OK we can take that setting box back out and let it all run automatically again.

Mike

RichardHobson
07-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks Mike. As soon as the missus gets back I'll be giving it all a go. I'll feedback if I may (probably to ask for help!) thanks all.

Richard

Gareth Jones
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Apologies Mike,

I looked at the code - whcih is of course generate by Jalbum, but not at the Jalbum config (it was 12:15am!). And I couldn't remeber whether it was one of the bits I'd changed anyway. I've modified all the references so it works on my version of MAMP, and uses virtual servers so I can run multiple test setups on the same machine.

But Richard, you should still try to statically assign the IP address of your server - otherwise one day you'll start things up in a different order and something will grab the IP address you've assigned in the software to something else and it will all cease to work.

regards

Mike Weeks
07-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Gareth,

we have had issues with trying to get it to work properly on MAC, Linux and Windows and had to manually assign the IP address however I think that I may have found the php command that can automatically assign this - a far better solution as it requires no networking knowledge. I totally agree about going for fixed IP address. No apologies needed as it the answer to Richards question.

Mike

RichardHobson
07-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Ok, so not all is running smoothy!

Server : IP set to 192.168.1.1 (as was always the case before wireless router added to setup)

Viewing stations set to 192.168.1.2 through to 192.168.1.7

Testing using just one viewing station at 192.168.1.3

Running WAMP server.

Lan cable from Server to Wireless Router.

Lan cable from wireless router to standard router I was using before.

Viewing station will pick up and display info no problem at all.

Cannot access Wireless router from Server. Wireless router is on 192.168.2.1

Eye-fi not working.

Any clues folks?

Gareth Jones
07-12-2009, 02:01 PM
the wireless router is on a different subnet - so it can't talk to everything else.

you need all your devices to be on 192.168.1.xxx

G

RichardHobson
07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Gareth, you hit the nail on the head. And I must say a massive thank you to Mike who rang me to talk me through it. All is working 100%.

Many many thanks.

Richard

Mike Weeks
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
the wireless router is on a different subnet - so it can't talk to everything else.

you need all your devices to be on 192.168.1.xxx

G

Strangely enough when I was on the phone to Richard I said you can guarantee another expert will be along with the answer in a few minutes. Just to re-iterate what Gareth said
TCPIP.jpg
The Subnet Mask setting is what determines which sub network the device is in - where is has 255 set it means that those numbers must be the same on the IP address to talk together and where there is a 0 in the Subnet Mask those numbers can change. The full range of values of one of the Octets (the box that can change) is 0 to 255 but 0 and 255 are reserved so you can only use the vaues 1 to 254 on devices. The setting here is what I would use at the server.

Mike

Geoff McGrath
16-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Guys.. I've come into this late, and have read through the thread.

Do any of you know of a link where I can get a basic understanding of this and the componants I need, without getting into the complication of running it to viewing stations etc?

I was a technical team leader in broadband tech so understand the router setup etc, but how much of this is necessary to connect to just one laptop and viewing station?

Geoff.

Mike Weeks
16-02-2010, 10:42 PM
To connect 1 viewing station to a laptop you just need a crossover cable.

Mike

Geoff McGrath
16-02-2010, 11:02 PM
lol...

I meant wirelessly :twisted:

Geoff McGrath
16-02-2010, 11:04 PM
think i better clarify... whats involved in syncing from camera to laptop wirelessly as is being discussed in this thread? :?

G.

richard ham
16-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Gareth, you hit the nail on the head. And I must say a massive thank you to Mike who rang me to talk me through it. All is working 100%.

Many many thanks.

Richard

A brief Hijack, but I would like to say a big thanks to Mike who rang me last weeks offering advice on this very issue. You're advice was sound Mike and i'm now up and running with 2 routers running from one laptop and Eye-fi purring like a kitten!

Many thanks for the support. The cheques in the post!
:diff:

Geoff McGrath
16-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Right....I take it that I only need the router if I am looking to share to more than 1 system. Other than that, I can connect directly to the laptop using just card directly.

RobMarsh
16-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi.
I've just done my first event (well 2 one last night and one this morning), using the Eye-Fi card.
Used with a Belkin Router, the distance it transfered over was around 60 feet. I have to say I was amazed with it. No leads, nothing to trip over and a really quick and easy set up. I set the auto metering on the camera to a few minutes and it transfered perfectly. Viewed in Windows picture and fax Viewer and printed from Serif photo 3. Easy. Oh and the Router was not conected to the internet.
If it stays reliable I'll definately be using it again..

x

Well done Amanda, glad to see it is working for you

RobMarsh
16-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Right....I take it that I only need the router if I am looking to share to more than 1 system. Other than that, I can connect directly to the laptop using just card directly.

The Eye-fi pro card will talk directly in what is called Ad-hoc mode to a computer with a wireless connection. It is slightly unreliable and also incredibly slow (6mb/s). By putting a router into the circuit you get the full benefit of the wireless spec with the camera communicating at 54mb/s to the computer

Simon Wilson
17-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Rob,

Im so glad you made that post as I have been using the EyeFi Pro Adhoc with my laptop with no issues except for the speed problem.

I did encounter a few issues at a recent event where the card was tranferring quite smoothly and then just stopped and after 5 minutes or so started again. When I went through the events leading up to this, all I could remember was that a group of clients were viewing recently taken images and when they left the area the card started transferring again.

All I can summise is that their personal phones/PDA/wireless gear was causing interference with the wireless from the EyeFi card.

All working in the end, but I'd like to find out if this was the real cause of the transfer loss. Maybe changing the wireless channel to a non default channel my prevent this in the future.

Anyone else experience this at all ??

Canon 5D2 and EyeFi Pro Direct transfer to Laptop with no added router (Ad Hoc).

Regards

Simon

RobMarsh
17-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Rob,

no added router (Ad Hoc).

Regards

Simon
Ad hoc on any system, including manufacturer's own (Canon Nikon etc) is always intermittent and if other things are using system resources it will slow it further. To be honest, for the cost of a router, I would rather have the transfer speed

Stuart Morley
17-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Totally agree.

I have found ad-hoc to be a real pain and never use it.

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Geoff McGrath
18-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the valuable assist re this guys... much appreciated... The Eye-Fi Prp definately sounds like the way forward wirelessly at least.

Can I ask, for those of you doing formals, are you not shooting close enough to your laptop that cables become a nightmare? Just trying to suss out some priorities here lol...
(hmmm wireless vs a Pellier Noir background .. what to do? I'm sure Paul would be willing to nudge me in one direction lol)

richard ham
18-02-2010, 01:27 AM
You don't need an Eye-Fi pro.
£50 buys you a 4 gig video Home and a tenner gets you a Belkin mimo router on fleebay,
£60 and your sorted.

Shooting tethered is an accident waiting to happen with beered up peeps walking behind and around you etc.

remember you have a duty of care under H&S.

RobMarsh
18-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Totally agree with the duty of care and H&S

Whilst not being able to match the £50 that Richard is quoting for a grey import product, I can sell you a legitimate 4gb for not much more and also a suitable CF adaptor if needed.
I can also reccommend an excellent router avaliable via fleabay, it is £40 but better range, gigabyte ethernet connection and is N spec wireless

Plus you get the benefit of phone support from me if you need talking through installation etc which Amazon won't do

Alan Warner
18-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Remembering the amount of Issues that going WIFI brought me, (& I still dont understand it)

IMO: The Support that ROB M' is offering is truly OUTSTANDING value for a few extra quid !

In trying to save a few pounds you can waste 10's of hours messing around, buying the wrong kit,

The benefit of experience has got to be worth at least a bit extra to start earning quicker ?

just do a search, on EYE-Fi set up & read the issues & questions...

Al007

richard ham
18-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Whilst not being able to match the £50 that Richard is quoting for a grey import product, I can sell you a legitimate 4gb for not much more and also a suitable CF adaptor if needed.
I can also reccommend an excellent router avaliable via fleabay, it is £40 but better range, gigabyte ethernet connection and is N spec wireless

OK, Perhaps my earlier post wasn't that clear.

£50 buy's you a UK Genuine 4 gig EYe-Fi card from Amazon (who have a great returns and warranty policy) http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... 65i3eycw_e (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eye+fi&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=4763680891&ref=pd_sl_6w65i3eycw_e)
This is NOT a grey import.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Belkin F5D8631-4 which is an ADSL2+ N1 router.
I paid £12 plus £3 P&P.
This router will give you just about the best range available.
I paid £10 from Fleebay for a plastic bodies CF adapter http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280432614219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)
which works great.

You'll find more than enough support on this site to help with installation.

RobMarsh
18-02-2010, 01:26 PM

OK, Perhaps my earlier post wasn't that clear.

£50 buy's you a UK Genuine 4 gig EYe-Fi card from Amazon (who have a great returns and warranty policy) http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... 65i3eycw_e (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eye+fi&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=4763680891&ref=pd_sl_6w65i3eycw_e)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is NOT a grey import.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Belkin F5D8631-4 which is an ADSL2+ N1 router.
I paid £12 plus £3 P&P.
This router will give you just about the best range available.
I paid £10 from Fleebay for a plastic bodies CF adapter http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280432614219&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which works great.

You'll find more than enough support on this site to help with installation.

Very interesting post.

I do know that Amazon are not buying the cards in the UK, they are bringing them in from USA as grey imports and eye fi UK do not offer any support to them or to people trying to use the cards in pro cameras

The reason I suggested the router I use, is that I know it exceeds the spec and works extremely well, but is also a gigabyte ethernet as is my event server, thus giving me excellent file transfer speed

In terms of support, I would suggest that there have been more people on this site advising of problems on setup and running than people saying they have had success. This is not because of faulty equipment, but due to "operator" error.

I look forward to hearing via trhe forum that you have installed ok and that it is working for you

richard ham
18-02-2010, 01:45 PM
My orginal point was that a PRO Eye-fI is only required for sending RAW files which I would imagine, without N protocol, would take an age to send anyway.
For jpg's ANY other Eye-Fi product would do the job.

When I first started using the Eye-Fi all was well, then a few day's later the Eye-Fi manager refused to start when accessing the magager.
I e-mailed Eye-Fi with the problem who have me some suggestions to try which sorted the problem.

I did post a question re running two wireless routers from one laptop both Mike and Paul were good enough to suggest some answers which also solved my problem.

Support can be essential for people with little or NO knowledge of networking and if that's what you are offering then people may well be advised to take you up on that, but I find this forum provides an essential support for many different problems.

As Amazon are one of only 5 distributors in the US I find it difficult to believe they are not genuine and authoirised importers of this product. I've had no issues in getting support to date.

Many many thanks.

Richard

A brief Hijack, but I would like to say a big thanks to Mike who rang me last weeks offering advice on this very issue. You're advice was sound Mike and i'm now up and running with 2 routers running from one laptop and Eye-fi purring like a kitten!

Many thanks for the support. The cheques in the post!
:diff:

Amanda Wigmore
18-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Just my 2 pence worth.
I bought my Eye-Fi card after talking to Rob at the Coventry meet. Due to him initially needing a number of people to order a card from him at the outset, I got impatient and got mine from Amazon. First one got sent back, second one worked. When I get the next one, I will without a doubt order through Rob. (I wish I had done so the first time). His knowledge and advice is worth loads and it's also good to support our colleagues on here whenever we can.
All that aside. I've used the setup around 20 or so times now and it's fantastic. Thanks Rob for showing me the benefits of it. You've made shooting events a little bit easier for me
x

RobMarsh
18-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Just my 2 pence worth.
I bought my Eye-Fi card after talking to Rob at the Coventry meet. Due to him initially needing a number of people to order a card from him at the outset, I got impatient and got mine from Amazon. First one got sent back, second one worked. When I get the next one, I will without a doubt order through Rob. (I wish I had done so the first time). His knowledge and advice is worth loads and it's also good to support our colleagues on here whenever we can.
All that aside. I've used the setup around 20 or so times now and it's fantastic. Thanks Rob for showing me the benefits of it. You've made shooting events a little bit easier for me
x

Thank you for the kind words

And to answer the question of transfer speed on files

I transfer a RAW file off an 8mp camera in approx 10 secs, I did a test on Wednesday with a Canon 1D MkIII full res jpg appx 12 sec
Normal jpg for me (3 to 4 mb in size) about 6 seconds

I persoally wouldn't call it that slow on RAW and I am still running normal eye-fi cards

Can't wait for my N spec though

Stuart Morley
18-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Plus you get the benefit of phone support from me if you need talking through installation etc which Amazon won't do

That would be priceless IMHO !

Stuart

www.systeminsight.co.uk (http://www.systeminsight.co.uk)

Geoff McGrath
18-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Seems like this thread's been buzzing since i was offline... thanks for the offer Rob... I'll be tryin to get myself sorted in the next few weeks, so will prob give you a shout then :)