Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /home/eventpho/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Keyring Printing options [Archive] - Event Photographer Society Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Keyring Printing options

Dave Derrett
30-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere.
I currently use my Olmec 1000 for all printing - for keyrings (L4, 70x45mm) we simply alter the print size in properties but still end up using a 9x6 piece of media. Not the best I know but at the moment with 1 printer it works. Does anyone have a dedicated keyring printer or have a better, less wasteful, way of doing it? I have heard of people using inkjets for keyring size printing but am a bit wary of quality/smudging etc. Next big purchase will prob. be another printer when I can afford it but do I get one just for keyrings or another 9x6 or even a 12x8 ??? I think it's worth pointing out that none of my crew could be classed as seriously computer literate and ,of course, speed is important ( like you lot need telling!!!!!!) so it has to be reasonably easy to do..
Any thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Ian Calderhead
30-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Dave,

Have a look at this site for all things relating to keyrings I am sure there is another link to the following page somewhere else on here but can't find it.

http://www.plastics-direct.co.uk/index.htm

Dave Derrett
30-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Ian, thanks for reply but problem is printing process not keyring supply etc. In fact that is where I get my blanks from !!! it's more a case of not wasting a 9x6 sheet for 1 keyring. :?: :?:

Mike Weeks
30-11-2009, 02:12 PM
You should not be trying to sell one, but rather 2 which needs 4 images and they will fit nicely on a 6" x 4" sheet for this size http://www.photomart.co.uk/ProductDetai ... 0KR&CatID= (http://www.photomart.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCatalogue=5520KR&CatID=) I have written a photoshop macro to do this but same can be done in Lightroom etc.

Mike

Ian Calderhead
30-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Ian, thanks for reply but problem is printing process not keyring supply etc. In fact that is where I get my blanks from !!! it's more a case of not wasting a 9x6 sheet for 1 keyring. :?: :?:

Dave,

If you get your blanks from them then why not download their free software & use their pre cut paper to go with the blanks thus saving on your wastage ! other than that you can buy a pre-determined hand held shape cutter for the size of your blanks from WH Smiths or similar. Last resort and painfully slow you could opt for the paper trimmer/guillotine approach, but be it on your head :rofl: :rofl:

Ian Calderhead
30-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Would this help:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HANDHELD-PHOTO-DI ... 2239wt_941 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HANDHELD-PHOTO-DIE-CUTTER-50mm-x-35mm-KEYRING-PUNCH-ID_W0QQitemZ110377816466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_3?hash=item19b307d192#ht_2239wt_941)

andrew waring
30-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Dave,
I sell them at £5 each or 3 for £10, this way nearly everyone buys 3 and I get the tenner that I want for a print ( I fit 3 keyrings on one print )

JulianAustin
30-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Inkjet is no good.(I spent a lot of time testing a few years ago) As soon as there is a little bit of moisture ie rain near the keyring the ink runs all over the picture. Very artistic but not helpful.

I also sell them 3 for £10 which means a lot less waste from the sheet of paper.

Alan Warner
30-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Andrew,

Like the 3 for £10 approach on a 6x4

You using Express Template ?

pretty pointless doing for less as wastage just eats your profit up !

Al007

Andy King
30-11-2009, 05:59 PM
I’ve been looking at this myself and came up with a few options, but please bear in mind my software is now set-up via templates to print all these instantly at the same time off a 9x6. I imagine a template of some sort could be set-up in photoshop or similar program that will do the same.

Option - Sell 1 for X (say £6), or three for XX(£10) as has already been mentioned above (or whatever price points you’re happy with.) Add an alternative to the mix such as 2 keyrings/1 fridge magnet or any combo for whatever your selected price point.
Again with a template, you could do a 6x4 and 2 keyrings/magnets or whatever combo as a package for your selected price point.
On a 9x6 you have enough space for a 6x4 print and 6 L4 templates. Make sure to utilise all this space by putting your branding/logo into say 2 or 3 of the template frames. You can cut these out after the event as you’ve already made a load to go in the reverse of the k/ring before hand.

Of course the other option is to just wait until you have enough orders in to do 3/4/5 in one go.

Minimal waste.

30-11-2009, 07:19 PM
We do lots of keyrings, although we print them in the studio, not on site.
We use an Epson R1800 inkjet and print on double sided A4 Permajet paper with our logo on the reverse side. We just use the top part of the paper and keep using it until its too short to use. We print off 4 images for 3 keyrings to allow for an error when cutting them out. We've tried various method of cutting with guillotines, rotary cutters, but we find scissors are more accurate for 35mm x 45mm prints. We charge £12 for 3

Inkjet is no good.(I spent a lot of time testing a few years ago) As soon as there is a little bit of moisture ie rain near the keyring the ink runs all over the picture. Very artistic but not helpful.

I also sell them 3 for £10 which means a lot less waste from the sheet of paper.

Julian,you must have had a very old tech printer. Out of interest, I have just held a print under the tap for about 15 seconds, dried it with a paper hanky, and it just looks the same as when I started.

David

andrew waring
30-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Andrew,

Like the 3 for £10 approach on a 6x4

You using Express Template ?

pretty pointless doing for less as wastage just eats your profit up !

Al007

When I'm doing keyrings I'm usually using the click, but during the summer I do football tournaments and use Express Digital. I keep making templates for the keyrings but I can be unorganised on my computer and can't always find the template so knock another one up, it's often quicker to make another than to try to find the one already there :?

I only sell keyrings when I'm shooting kids (lol, I love saying that, still makes me chuckle), and I don't mind selling single keyrings at the tournaments as it gives the kids something to buy with their pocket money, I sometimes do fridge magnets too, although if I'm busy I'll ask them to come back for them and I do them 3 at a time.

Alan Warner
30-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Andrew,

I keep making templates for the keyrings but I can be unorganised on my computer and can't always find the template so knock another one up, it's often quicker to make another than to try to find the one already there :?

Ive made a CD & memory stick now with all of the Templates ive made on, I reload every time i reformat one of the systems...

Al007

JulianAustin
30-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I used an Epson R800 at the time and it was mine and a few family members
that had the streams & streaks appear in the key rings. I was using Epson paper and Epson ink with the gloss optimiser. I have not had it on any of my dye sub printed ones but have had it on some lab printed ones. I can only assume that once I punch through the gloss coating it allows water to seep in over time maybe?

Julian,you must have had a very old tech printer. Out of interest, I have just held a print under the tap for about 15 seconds, dried it with a paper hanky, and it just looks the same as when I started.

Graham Gott
30-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I used an Epson R800 at the time and it was mine and a few family members that had the streams & streaks appear in the key rings. I was using Epson paper and Epson ink with the gloss optimiser.
Like Andy, I use the R1800 and have done many keyrings. Several, I know, are still going years later and have been drenched many a time. Andy says he uses Permajet paper, I use Ilford, so it must be the Epson paper... :lol: :lol:

Dave Derrett
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Would this help:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HANDHELD-PHOTO-DI ... 2239wt_941 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HANDHELD-PHOTO-DIE-CUTTER-50mm-x-35mm-KEYRING-PUNCH-ID_W0QQitemZ110377816466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_3?hash=item19b307d192#ht_2239wt_941)

Got one !!!
Main point was less waste of media but concerns re using an inkjet to do these.

Mark Amies
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Just looking at the dimensions of that punch - 35mm x 50mm. The size for a UK passport is 35mm x 45mm.

Just in case anyone has got passport photo sized keyrings be aware.

Dave Derrett
07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I must be going soft !!!!!
Having trawled around some older posts - it would appear that it's the 9x6 media that won't allow me to print a smaller than 9x6 sheet off. We need to be able to print off 1/2 keyrings at a time (actual size 70x45 mm.) I can only get 2 on a sheet so even if we need say 6 we still waste a lot of media ( Olmec will only let us put 2 x 6x4 on a sheet which we reduce to 48% which then cuts nicely to go in keyring)
I must point out that -as yet - we do not have any whiz-bang software to help. (Spent loads already this year !!!!!! ) Also I'm not a computer expert - which don't help.
Mark at PM beware - I may be ringing you soon and it will probably be a long talk !!

Must thank all who replied to this post so far, but being honest, some answers went right over my head........ :puter: :puter:

ian griffiths
07-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Dave,

Dont know what software you are using but if you use Darkroom create a border with multiple apertures so you can print as many as you can physically fit on one sheet.

Hope that helps.

Dave Derrett
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Dave,

Dont know what software you are using but if you use Darkroom create a border with multiple apertures so you can print as many as you can physically fit on one sheet.

Hope that helps.

Ian, Mike W came up with a similar solution when he rang me yesterday - using templates made in lightroom. Had a quick play with it and looks like there may be options we can use. :D :D :D

09-12-2009, 02:13 PM
[quote="ian griffiths":1trevnow]Dave,

Hope that helps.

Ian, Mike W came up with a similar solution when he rang me yesterday - using templates made in lightroom. Had a quick play with it and looks like there may be options we can use. :D :D :D[/quote:1trevnow]

In the studio we use a home made photoshop action which prints 4 45mm x 35mm images along the top of an A4 sheet on the Epson R1800. We then flip the paper over and print the logos on the other side (same action). We print 4 for 3 keyrings in case we screw up cutting a one out. It took around an hour to write the action (making sure that the logos on the back lined up with the images on the front) and we have used it hundreds of times.
We used to buy them in from Photobox, but their quality is very variable.

We are looking to buy a bigger faster dye sub next year, and then we may relegate our HiTi 730PS to keyrings. One idea would be to pre-print lots of logos on the epson, and just print the images out on site, 4 on a 6x4 on the HiTi. Then put them both into the keyrings.

09-12-2009, 11:03 PM
i use a programme called 'create a gift' from my software.co.uk, blanks from my-accessories.co.uk, they also supplied a hand cutter which cuts to size, expensive at about £60, but well worth it. i have an epson r285 (£60) dedicated keyring printer, print on 6x4 paper for the photo side, 25 on a A4 for the logo side. works very well, no problems.
prints picture to size, cuts to size, money in the till!!!!

hope this helps.

john

shine photography. :-)

Dave Derrett
15-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Well - we're getting there slowly. Many thanks Mike for your thoughts. got trial version of lightroom to play with. Have made template for 8 k/rings and 1x 6x4 with 4 k/rings. Used them on fri and sat night - worked out really well with groups ordering up to 14 k/rings - far less wastage than before.
One of these days I'll get ti ALL right !!!!!!!!!! Cheers guys for all your help. :D :D :D